Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Shopping for used 17' tiller - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 07-19-2019, 06:29 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac10 View Post
Alright, trying to buy a nice used 17' tiller with 4 stroke, low hours. I have my choices narrowed but not limited to a Alumacraft Yukon, Lund Alaskan, Polar Craft Outlander, I'm looking for any information on these selections from people who have actually owned or used them. I'm in no big hurry and very willing to buy this fall or winter, just holding out for a great deal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Alaskan is a great boat , but if you buy one older than I think 2016 or 2018 then you should have a really good look at the transom.. Mine's a '12 and it's rotten and being replaced under warranty this winter.

Lots of rotten lund transoms on line and mine is one of them.

If your not stuck on aluminum, I owned a 89' Ranger 680T it's almost 17' has lots of storage and rides great for a little tiller. We really miss that boat!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2019, 06:40 AM
Minnow

Luvmylabs, I can't believe the top Alumanium boat manufactures have not resolved the rotting transom problem, 3 good friends of mine all had to replace the transom on their 2075 Pro V's, you would think Lund would have corrected this year's ago. The Ranger 680T is a great old boat for sure and no concerns with a rotting transom.

Old 07-21-2019, 04:26 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidebySide View Post
I second this. 2001 Alaskan 18 tiller here. I use mine for multi species fishing and camping. No frills, but it over achieves on functionality.

My guess is you'll be able to find an excellent value between now and winter. Don't be afraid to break out the checkbook when you find excellent value and the features you want...it will be worth it.
I have a 2003 Alaskan (I think similar to the 2001). I really like it. It's fairly basic but does everything I need pretty well. I have a newer 60 Merc tiller 4 stroke on it and it goes just fine. I get lots of comments about how much space it has inside. Plus one of the guys I fish with prefers if to boats with a casting platform. He says he just feels a lot safer.

Good luck on your boat hunt.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:21 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyboy321 View Post
I have a 2003 Alaskan (I think similar to the 2001). I really like it. It's fairly basic but does everything I need pretty well. I have a newer 60 Merc tiller 4 stroke on it and it goes just fine. I get lots of comments about how much space it has inside. Plus one of the guys I fish with prefers if to boats with a casting platform. He says he just feels a lot safer.

Good luck on your boat hunt.
Lack of a 'casting platform' is why I bought an Alaskan. In the IT development field we used to refer to things like a casting platform as "not a bug but a feature". A rose (bug) by any other name...

The type of fishing you do may yield itself to a 'casting platform'. But not mine (fishing methods). I'm a tiller guy and want no part of bouncing around in rough weather on a 'casting platform'. I prefer that my partners and I are out of the weather as much as possible.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

I have an '04 Alumacraft Yukon 165 with a '14 Honda 50 tiller. I love this boat. It tracks very well in forward and reverse. It is a very basic boat, but it is also my waterfowl larger water boat. I can put it in any lake and fish comfortably and it handles the rough water well, especially when the big fall fronts blow through and I want to hunt.

My only complaint is the livewell. It is small, the overflow drain goes to the rear of the hull underwater, so if I leave the pump running it will overflow. Not a big deal with vinyl flooring, but something to watch for. I don't keep many fish anyways.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:40 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckD View Post
I have an '04 Alumacraft Yukon 165 with a '14 Honda 50 tiller. I love this boat. It tracks very well in forward and reverse. It is a very basic boat, but it is also my waterfowl larger water boat. I can put it in any lake and fish comfortably and it handles the rough water well, especially when the big fall fronts blow through and I want to hunt.

My only complaint is the livewell. It is small, the overflow drain goes to the rear of the hull underwater, so if I leave the pump running it will overflow. Not a big deal with vinyl flooring, but something to watch for. I don't keep many fish anyways.
Chuck, you interested in selling?

Old 07-24-2019, 11:04 AM
Minnow

I have a 2003 1800 Alaskan tiller that I bought off of craigslist, buying a used Alaskan is completely different than buying other used boats, very few for sale, lots of demand, have to quick on the purchase or there gone and you most likely will have to travel to find one, price is whatever you can negotiate they hold there value very well, I have 3-4 friends that want mine and it’s not for sale.
Old 08-15-2019, 06:11 AM
Minnow

Well I found and bought a 2007 Lund Alaskan 16' Tiller with a Merc 60 4 stroke. I got a great price as the boat is in new condition and has a little over 75hrs. on the motor. I'm very excited to rig as I want and get it on the water. By the way, where is the best location to install on board charger? And thanks for all your reply's.

Old 08-15-2019, 02:07 PM
Wallhanger

How about a picture of your new prize. I always like to look at a tiller boat.

Paul
Old 08-16-2019, 06:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac10 View Post
Well I found and bought a 2007 Lund Alaskan 16' Tiller with a Merc 60 4 stroke. I got a great price as the boat is in new condition and has a little over 75hrs. on the motor. I'm very excited to rig as I want and get it on the water. By the way, where is the best location to install on board charger? And thanks for all your reply's.

I have mine in the floor midship compartment. The rigging tubes are there to run your wires. That's assuming your Alaskan is laid out like my 2013 Alaskan