Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Cash "lost" in mail? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 07-21-2019, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

Default Cash "lost" in mail?

My wife joined a bus trip and mailed in her $50 (in cash...) and it "never arrived". Replaced it with a check for $50 and it was there in two days.

I'm pretty sure someone, anyone from a postal employee to an trip organizer pilfered the cash.

Nothing I can do about it and yes we know to never send cash just because of the toe suckers in this world. Never had it happen before, but have never sent cash before either.

Just venting.

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2019, 09:37 AM
Wallhanger

I could go on and on about USPS issues but every time the topic comes up on here the subject changes to how great our mail system is and how wonderful their employees are. Apparently the USPS is a sacred cow on WC.
Sorry for the loss of cash..... Irritating for sure but small potatoes to the issues I have dealt with for 8 months!!!
Old 07-21-2019, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

I had an 18 year streak going with the USPS with nothing lost or stolen with 100's of lure orders back and forth. Last two or so years, I've had about 5 or 6 issues with packages I know were stolen from. Usually the small flat rate boxes where someone could lift the flap on the side and remove whatever was in the box. Now I make sure everything is taped shut so there's no way someone can get into the box without cutting it open. One really hurt. $350 worth of painting on customer supplied blades. Had to replace the blank blades, plus repaint everything. Their insurance is worthless also. They have never paid out on a single claim. UPS is almost as bad. They don't steal your stuff, they smash it, hence their nickname United Parcel Smashers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2019, 10:21 AM
Wallhanger

When the boys were away in college my wife would send them $20 in a BD card. They never received it. I believe it was the same last name on return address with the size of a greeting card for the tip off to the USPS employees that like to steal from its customers.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 07-21-2019, 12:43 PM
Wallhanger

Location: Land of 10,000 lakes, even more taxes and the state where the police are handcuffed.

I send cash all the time. Some times it's in excess of $100. One day it will bite me in the a$$ but for now (knock on wood) everything has been fine. I should add when I send cash I always mail at the post office and never from my mail box. Don't know that it matters but it's one less place something can go wrong along the way.

Timely subject.....just opened a letter with some greenbacks in it.

Last edited by That Minnesota guy; 07-21-2019 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-21-2019, 02:36 PM
Wallhanger

Never had a problem myself, but if I do mail cash I tuck it inside a couple folded pieces of paper.

"If you're wise enough to wear a seatbelt in your truck.....you're wise enough to wear a life jacket in your boat....." (B-man)

Grady White 208 Hard-top 200 Yami
Lund Pro V 1660 60 HP Merc
Pro-Line 24 wa 250 Verado (sold)
Lund 186 Tyee 175 Verado (sold)
Ram 2500 Cummins
Old 07-21-2019, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-man View Post
Never had a problem myself, but if I do mail cash I tuck it inside a couple folded pieces of paper.

That's what my wife did and she walked it to the post office outside drop box.

I've also had the USPS totally destroy a limited edition (only fifty made) fine scale model of the Allison Powered Minneapolis Moline UB tractor pulling tractor that was first to put an Allison engine in a pulling tractor. Original box inside another box and bubble wrapped. I did not insure it as I could not imagine they could destroy it. Insurance money would have meant nothing compared to the rarity and emotional attachment. Irreplaceable item.

My nephew is a UPS driver and those guys are absolutely worked to the bone. His average day is several hundred stops in an Urban and Rural area. Their workload is increasing daily with everyone buying online. I would guess that my home is visited by UPS or FedEx two to three times a week vs zero five years ago. That said there is no excuse for rough handling of packages you are being paid to deliver safely. Most damage comes from sorting and loading. The delivery guys are the one's getting chewed out for a damaged package and they are probably the least likely to damage deliveries.

Just another minor life lesson in a world full of major life lessons.

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Old 07-21-2019, 03:47 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
That's what my wife did and she walked it to the post office outside drop box.

Pooch
I'm guessing it was on the receiving end then, and nothing to do with the post office.

I'd check with the administration that runs where you sent the cash. Ask if anybody else had the same problem.

It would be extremely rare if another person had an issue with the post office. The finger would easily point to the person that opens the letters.

My buddy's ex girlfriend is in prison for a similar act. Hundreds of thousands of dollars embezzled over the course of several years.

"If you're wise enough to wear a seatbelt in your truck.....you're wise enough to wear a life jacket in your boat....." (B-man)

Grady White 208 Hard-top 200 Yami
Lund Pro V 1660 60 HP Merc
Pro-Line 24 wa 250 Verado (sold)
Lund 186 Tyee 175 Verado (sold)
Ram 2500 Cummins

Last edited by B-man; 07-21-2019 at 03:52 PM.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:15 PM
Wallhanger

They are not all honest mailmen
https://www.uspsoig.gov/investigatio...nal-mail-theft
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 07-21-2019, 07:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
My wife joined a bus trip and mailed in her $50 (in cash...) and it "never arrived". Replaced it with a check for $50 and it was there in two days.

I'm pretty sure someone, anyone from a postal employee to an trip organizer pilfered the cash.

Nothing I can do about it and yes we know to never send cash just because of the toe suckers in this world. Never had it happen before, but have never sent cash before either.

Just venting.

Pooch

Pooch

If you reported this loss to the post office some one there should have sent you a form to explain the loss and to provide multiple details about its mailing date, mailing location, etc. This form would go to the inspection service and be compared to other loss reports to identify any details they have in common. For instance numerous reports of money missing from mail addressed to the same residential delivery route would cause the inspectors to focus on the person who delivers that route. This is the most basic part of an investigation, but you get the point.

One thing I learned working for USPS was that you absolutely cannot identify someone who would never steal.

Jack