Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
I miss my old school electronics - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 07-08-2018, 01:04 PM
Minnow

Default I miss my old school electronics

I've just gotten back into the Walleye fishing game after being away from it for the past 10 years and I've gotta ask...Am I the only one who misses their Pre-CHIRP electronics ? My experience with fishing electronics goes back to the Lowrance "flasher" days and I've owned literally dozens of units since then. These days My primary locator is a Humminbird Helix 9 and despite watching dozens of videos, reading the ENTIRE 200 page manual and experimenting for hours on the water I'll be darned if I can get a picture I'm happy with. Instead of the classic "arcs" I remember from my "old school" electronics - All I get are (for me) uninterpretable colored -blobs-. I'm tempted to go on EBay and look for some used "Old School" products that are in good shape. Frustrated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2018, 01:32 PM
Wallhanger

I miss fishing with NO electronics, the old school way. Reading a structure map and using land marks to triangulate my position. Back then, I mastered this and could find my spots easily, while other guys would be driving in circles trying to find spots. Now, on some of my favorite spots there may be 2 boats already there. Dang.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:08 AM
Keeper

If you want a flasher, don't go and buy a used one on E-bay, buy a Vexlar color flasher. I have a 12 that I use for ice fishing and the front of my boat when river fishing. You can see fish come right off the bottom for a tiny jig. And its color so its easy to see and determine size of fish. I have two Helix 12's on my boat and love them. I took a class this past winter given by Dr. Jason Halfen of "The Technological Angler" which was taylored just to Humminbird Helix units. Money well spent in my opinion. He gives you a lot of presets that get you a clear picture, better than I could have done.
Ches.
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2018, 12:30 PM
Wallhanger

I occasionally scan for structure, but 90% of the time I just occasionally look at depth and water temp. There have been days where I didn't need the GPS(familiar lake) and was hours into the day before I noticed the humminbird was never turned on.

I have a single Hum 998si and have zero desire to upgrade. mega, 360, 1st gen, chirp, 2nd gen, whatever else ... makes my head spin. Ironically because I am a complete technut and computer guy. I am an audiophile and don't have a stereo on the boat either. Its not a constant effort but I guess I don't like tech on the boat.

I love my terrova with remote though, sliced bread has nothing on it.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:45 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steviep1956 View Post
I've just gotten back into the Walleye fishing game after being away from it for the past 10 years and I've gotta ask...Am I the only one who misses their Pre-CHIRP electronics ? My experience with fishing electronics goes back to the Lowrance "flasher" days and I've owned literally dozens of units since then. These days My primary locator is a Humminbird Helix 9 and despite watching dozens of videos, reading the ENTIRE 200 page manual and experimenting for hours on the water I'll be darned if I can get a picture I'm happy with. Instead of the classic "arcs" I remember from my "old school" electronics - All I get are (for me) uninterpretable colored -blobs-. I'm tempted to go on EBay and look for some used "Old School" products that are in good shape. Frustrated.
You are crazy

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
Old 07-10-2018, 02:12 PM
Wallhanger

I understand but you are missing out on some great information.
What you need to do us run your normal 2d sonar and downscan (DI) at the same time. This way you will learn what you are missing. You will learn those nice arches weren't all fish and the blobs weren't rocks. You'll learn to identify the exact weed your fishing in. The rock piles by each rock. The baitfish balls by the exact number of bait in each and the fish by actual as l size.
There is nothing to miss unless you really like fake arches, blobs, and bait balls.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:19 PM
Keeper

My last boat, I bought a locator in 1998. That's a long time ago. May as well have never owned one compared to current technology.

You could say I jumped in feet first and over my head.

80# ulterra
Helix 9 mega si GPS g2n
Helix 10 mega di GPS g2n
I-pilot link and fully networked.

The fun now comes in learning the operate this as it is capable of doing.

But from the capability I have seen, I'm looking forward to it.

Was looking at the side imagining information and humminbird does a pretty decent job of explaining it all and what you are seeing.

Shared it with my dad and suddenly his lightbulb went off too what we were seeing.

This 2nd generation stuff seems to really have more definition than the first gen stuff I used during our English river trip in June we took.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:23 PM
Keeper

Dont have it set up right or you are confusing Down Imaging which wont display fish arches. Havnt had n issue with a single unit last 3 years and if anything the new Mega unit it sweet for arches

Old 07-11-2018, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

I hear ya. I am convinced that the photos are computer enhanced. I never get those crystal clear arcs like the ads show, but I do like the modern day units.
Minn Kota Terrova
Lowrance Elite 7Ti
Cisco rod holders
Old 07-11-2018, 06:03 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundman1! View Post
I hear ya. I am convinced that the photos are computer enhanced. I never get those crystal clear arcs like the ads show, but I do like the modern day units.
I get amazing arcs and its because i leverled my transducer to how my boat rides in gear. Search youtube and will see perfect way. Put boat in gear then grab a bunch of coins and a level to get the level straight. Remeber how many coindls you used and the spot then level the boat on dry ground or in garage the same way. That means the boats in the in gear level position and all you need to do is put transducer level and viola perfect arcs