Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Do Erie Walleyes Count? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 09-01-2020, 09:26 AM
Wallhanger

Default Do Erie Walleyes Count?

In the Is Northern Minnesota Crowded thread, I noticed MrSimon said about Lake Erie walleye, "Erie doesn't count. Sure, it has tons of huge walleye .... but it doesn't give the 'Canadian experience'. Not even close. The biggest four walleye of my life came out of Erie. Those pictures aren't on my wall, ones from Ontario are." I thought that statement deserved a thread of its own. So what do you think, do Erie walleyes count?

I took my two sons on an Erie trip earlier this year for the first time. Fishing with a guide, we filled our coolers with some impressive walleyes, one of which was a 29 incher pulled in by my son. The next day, I asked him if that was his personal best and he said it was, but then paused and asked me, "do you think it counts?". My response was along the lines of, if it were me, I wouldn't count it. Maybe with an asterisk by it.

He did real the fish in, but he didn't really catch it. We were fishing with 8 lines out and when a board would drop back, whoever happened to be closest to the back of the boat grabbed the line and brought it in. That's not quite the same, IMO, as holding your own rod and teasing a walleye by bouncing a 1/4 oz jig. I'd rather catch a 24" eye on Lac Seul than a 29" on Erie, but that's just my opinion. I've always wanted to try Erie. Now I've checked it off my list and I have a freezer full of walleye to show for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2020, 09:54 AM
Keeper

Perhaps you went on the wrong type of charter? There are charter captains on Erie who specialize in weight forward drift fishing. They provide instruction and put you on fish, but it's you and your rod & reel and the fish.

So I wouldn't discount Erie just because you happen to go on a guided trip which happened to troll. I've been fishing Erie my whole life and some of my most memorable fish came while drift fishing.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Old 09-01-2020, 10:06 AM
Wallhanger

You can go out on Erie and get skunked too, especially if that East wind is blowing , not to mention the trips you take where you can't leave the hotel room due to the weather. Better believe they count. Especially if your setting out your own spread, you still have to get alot of things right to fill the cooler- speed ,depth,color,location. It might be relatively easier but it's still fishing
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
3 12" graphs- Lowrance Live,Carbon and Simrad EVO 3
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs
Traxstech 72" tracks, Berts 24" tracks on each gunnel
2 Big Jon Capt packs riggers
Lowrance autopilot
MK 15' Talon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2020, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

I know this site has a bunch of Erie fans, so this topic could get heated, but I’m in your camp on favoring “catching” a walleye by jigging over “reeling in” a walleye that hooked itself while I sat back and waited my turn. There are many fishing techniques and no “right” one. I just prefer jigging.

Like you, I also prefer the “Canada” experience, which is also why Erie and Devils Lake just don’t appeal to me. Of course, if a fishing buddy called and asked me to join him on either Erie or Devils Lake I’d jump at it.

A 29” walleye is a good sized fish, so I’d consider it his current personal best and the number to beat in the future. I empathize with the asterisk feeling, however. My personal best is 32.5”, so I’ll probably never beat it, but it was caught jigging off the back of a charter boat with six other guys on Lake of the Woods out of Baudette. In Canada I just can’t break 28”, however, so my goal is to break into 28+ in Canada and have a personal best “Canada” walleye.
Old 09-01-2020, 10:19 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrain View Post
You can go out on Erie and get skunked too, especially if that East wind is blowing , not to mention the trips you take where you can't leave the hotel room due to the weather. Better believe they count. Especially if your setting out your own spread, you still have to get alot of things right to fill the cooler- speed ,depth,color,location. It might be relatively easier but it's still fishing
I agree the wind makes it a challenge. Finding the fish can be easy as many people just follow the guide boats out to the hot spots. I prefer to drift fish Erie so I typically have my rod in my hand. I can honestly say I still get excited every time I catch a walleye and I'm thankful for the experience.
Old 09-01-2020, 10:30 AM
Wallhanger

To the OP, I think Erie should count. I am chuckling a little while reading these. I may or may not ever have the chance to go to Canada to "experience" whatever that may or may not be. I think the real issue is the definition of 'experience' which is different for everyone.

The size of the fish, however they may be caught is incredible from what I read from Erie. I know my limitations, and will never be on Erie in my boat, as it exceeds my limitations. And a 'man has got to know his limitations' in the words of Clint Eastwood.

Guide is out of the question. Wifey seems to think I walk on water, and REFUSES to entertain paying a guide to catch Walleye for any reason. My life's goal is for her to catch and release a 10 lb Walleye, possible in my area, but still hunting. She caught a 9 lb 2 oz, not good enough. I think that the 'experience' is relative to what you are used to or come from. Erie would be a bucket list for me, let alone Canada! So yes it should count!. I keep logs of fish caught out of my boat. Between the two of us, we average over 1000 eyes caught a year. Just caught, not kept and size doesn't come into play. I am happy with that considering we both have full time jobs, and fish recreationally.

I think if you spend enough time on our lakes south of our border friends, you can have the same 'experience' as a Canada trip. JMHO
Lowrance Elite 9Ti2
Lowrance Elite FS9
Pulled by 2021 Chevy Trail Boss 6.2L
Old 09-01-2020, 10:49 AM
Wallhanger

I don't think it is remotely the same experience as most of Canada. It is especially different than NWT / N SK / N MB / AK as I have never moose / caribou / musk ox on Erie lol but the walleyes sure get big:-).

To the point does the fish count? Sure! Why not? I have seen guys hold up 42 inch pike and call them 48. I've seen 26 in walleyes claimed to be 30. I LONG ago quit caring what other people count. You just need to be honest with yourself and have fun doing your thing.

B-
Old 09-01-2020, 11:28 AM
Keeper

This is an interesting topic. I've been on an Erie charter before and caught a 23 incher, but I never "counted" it as the OP has said. I think along the same lines with a guide too, and have never hired one(I'm a muskie guy). For me its always been very rewarding figuring it out on my own.

I'll also add my 5 biggest walleye have all been on the lake erie charter or while muskie fishing, but its hard for me to really count those, and I got a replica of the biggest at 27".
Old 09-01-2020, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

Erie, or anywhere else....

Unless you are using your own equipment, choosing your own baits, and presenting it the way you want to...none of them count. Doesn't matter if it's Erie or any other lake on the planet.

On a side note, I like the fly in vacations we do up in Canada for the "experience" too. It smells good, there aren't a bunch of houses surrounding the lakeshore, and there's very little boat traffic. And, when you do see a boat, and wave....they usually wave back at you.

It's very peaceful.

I think too many get hung up on the size of the fish rather than the memories made during the trip.

It must be a "man thing".
NPAA#89
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
Vexus DVX22 Merc 400 Verado
Humminbird Helix 12s
MinnKota Terrova 112

Last edited by Juls; 09-02-2020 at 02:41 AM.
Old 09-01-2020, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

I've missed 1 two week trip to Canada so far, and my second two week trip would have started next Tuesday. In their place I've done 2 four day trips to Erie, and am planning another. Is it as nice an experience as Canada, no, but it sure beats sitting home. Plus i get to bring some walleye home, which I rarely do from Canada.