Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
300 or 350 for Lund 219? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 07-24-2020, 11:35 PM
Minnow

Default 300 or 350 for Lund 219?

Hey guys Im looking into getting a lund 219 and I while researching somewhere on here I read that someone said they got better top speed and overall performance with a 300 verado then when they drove a different 219 with a 350. Im not sure what props they were using if it was the same or not but assuming your using the best prop and other equipment such as jackplate, etc. for each motor, but does anybody else have any experience or knowledge with this? Maybe this was just one mans opinion, but if there's a trend here I wouldn't mind saving myself a few thousand dollars or put that money towards some other upgrades/equipment. Thanks for any info!
Old 07-25-2020, 09:50 AM
Keeper

If you’re talking brand new 219 you’re going to be comparing a 350 Verado to a 300 V8 (ProXS or Verado) which from what I’ve heard from others the V8’s are not seeing the same consistent performance as the Verado have. I haven’t seen many 219’s used that have 300’s on them seems most opted for the 350.

My buddy had a 2015 219 w/ 350 (no Jack plate) and he ran just a smidge over 60 with it.
Old 07-25-2020, 11:21 AM
Wallhanger

If you want the best top speed and overall performance, no question I’d go with the 350.

Best hole shot and fuel economy, go with the 300.

I don’t have first hand experience with the new V8 225-300, but I know a lot of guys that do, and everything I’m hearing says they’re 2-5+ mph hr slower than the previous L6 Verado when comparing HP to HP, with the 300 being the worst.

If you go 300 V8, pay close attention to the gearcase and gear ratio combination. That seems to be one of the key factors.

Waxy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2020, 01:54 PM
Minnow

If you are looking at new, I think it's going to be available with a 400.
Old 07-26-2020, 08:42 AM
Wallhanger

Howdy,

I had a 300 Supercharged L6 and now have the 300 Verado V8. Both on the same model boat, same weight, everything identical. I think there is a lack of comparison information out there that compounds the comparisons as the V8 Verado is not real common in the marketplace as the the new Pro XS sales are so strong.

I'm still dialing in the props on the V8 but, to date, the L6 is 2 mph faster. I'm currently running one pitch more than the same pitch ran on the L6. I need to go up another one still. Once I go up again in pitch I think they will be the same for speed. The V8 is better out of the hole due to the torque curve and I'm sure it still will be even after going up one pitch.

The reason the V8 is harder to prop is the gear case can be different. They need different pitches to perform similarly. Specifically the V8 can swing a bigger wheel. Also, it's naturally aspirated so its effected by temperature and elevation in ways a closed system like a supercharger is not, and the torque curve is totally different.

For example, Ranger sent my new boat with the same prop their data said to run on the L6 and I could redline at 3/4 throttle. I suspect many of the slower speeds that are being reported are the result of improper propping. Also, the computer on the V8 is designed to retard your top end to match prop pitch so many people may be under propped and not even know it. thats why Mercury recommends propping the boat by having a laptop connected to the motor to determine if the motor is altering its top performance to match your pitch.

I would be more than happy with either one. If I had to pick I would lean towards the V8 but only because the long term health of the supercharger itself is something I'd rather not deal with. Fuel economy also goes to the V8 as the L6 is thirsty above 4000 RPM. Regardless, MAXING out the HP should be your primary determining factor. If that mean getting an L6, that's what I would do.

Take care,

Ruddiger

Last edited by Ruddiger; 07-26-2020 at 08:50 AM.
Old 07-27-2020, 09:10 AM
Minnow

Ruddinger,
I sent you a PM
Old 07-27-2020, 09:47 AM
Slot Fish

350 over a 300 all day, everyday!! You're under powering a 219 by putting a 300 on it!! Unless you're satisfied with just putting around, you want the 350, am surprised Lund didn't up their rating to 400, but, it doesnt seem like performance is ever their intent. They sell by reputation and the name on the side. My .02.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk