Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Best anchor for 18' boat - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 08-20-2019, 01:14 PM
Wallhanger

Default Best anchor for 18' boat

I haven't upgraded my anchor in the many years since I had a 14' boat. It's a mushroom type and I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't hold my 18' boat in a big wind. My home lake is mud bottom, but fish a couple times a year at Lake Vermilion, which is pretty rocky. I may also do some river fishing next year. What are your recommendations for an anchor for my boat? A Richter anchor has my interest, but how would those spikes hold in mud? Not interested in a spot lock vs anchor debate nor chain/rope length discussion. I use spot lock for fishing, but need an anchor for safety and swimming. TIA.

andersaki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2019, 01:29 PM
Keeper

water spike
Old 08-20-2019, 01:57 PM
Slot Fish

25- 30# fluke (navy) style anchor always does the job. I don't put chain on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2019, 02:14 PM
Keeper

I just picked this up about a month ago. I had been using my 15 lbs. river anchor from my old 14 ft. I finally put it on my 2006 Alumacraft Navigator 165cs but haven't dropped it down yet.

Extreme Max 3006.6563 BoatTector Anchor Winch Compatible Gripper Anchor, 25 lb. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014HEWUBQ..._-rfxDb0CC4G4B

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

jbird68
Morrison, IL

Last edited by jbird68; 08-20-2019 at 02:17 PM.
Old 08-20-2019, 03:10 PM
Keeper

Check out the Guardian brand.
Old 08-20-2019, 03:47 PM
Wallhanger

One thing the Richter anchor has over some of the others, if it gets hung up it can be retrieved by pulling backwards on it.
Just do like I did, get multiple anchors for different bottoms, my latest addition is a Columbia river anchor for my river boat. Then there's collapsible box anchors that are supposed to be good in mud, never needed one of those or I would make one.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:18 PM
Wallhanger

A Richter is the most versatile anchor that I have used. A piece of chain will improve the holding power of most anchors.

Jerry
Old 08-21-2019, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

I use Navy anchors.
One of the main reasons is that they fold flat, and are compact and easy to store.
I carry a 10 lb, a 15 lb, and a 20 lb anchor.

I did have a 28 lb anchor in the boat for a few weeks and used it a few times. But, after using it a few times I came to the conclusion that I would rather carry two smaller anchors than one larger and heavier anchor. If you have a 28 lb anchor that is loaded with weeds and mud, you may be pulling up 50-70 lbs. Not too much fun.

I also carry three 50 foot 3/8th nylon anchor ropes with a large loop braided on each end.

I also carry several anchor shackles.

In prior years, I lost several anchors because I used a snap to connect the anchor to the rope. With the boat twisting and turning at anchor, they would unsnap themselves and the anchor was lost.

I also attach a 3 foot chain to each anchor with a permanent connector.

To connect the anchor, the anchor clevis is slipped through the loop at the end of the rope and a bolt is put through the end of the clevis and screwed down tight. No more lost anchors ever since.

------------------------
When fishing and anchoring, I always use the lightest anchor that will nicely hold the boat. Surprisingly enough, often the lightest 10 lb anchor works just fine for many bottoms and wind and wave conditions. But, if necessary one or more of the larger anchors is used in nasty conditions. If anchoring in a gale, the heaviest anchor is put on first and lowered, then, the next anchor is added to the next anchor rope and daisy chained on to the first anchor and rope. If more is needed, the 3rd rope and anchor is added and made fast to the boat. I have been in some very nasty conditions and have never had a situation where the combination of the 3 anchors and three ropes has not held the boat in place.

The only time that I have eave had to use the multiple combinations where when the waves were really kicking up and I had found a great spot on the edge of a break that I was fishing and needed to stay on the spot, no matter the wind and waves.

In addition, I also have a bungee type stretch member that I use between the boat and a loop in the anchor rope to relieve the load on the anchor and anchor rope when anchored in big waves. With the stretch member or rope so to speak, the wave meets the boat and caused the boat to rise. With the stretch member, the member stretches, the wave comes and passes and then the stretch member pulls the boat back to its original position. Scale tests of this system, indicates a very larger reduction in the maximum force exerted on the anchor and anchor rope in large wave conditions. If you are anchored in heavy steady currents, the stretch member will do little good since the force from the currents is constant and thus the reason for the stretch member is effectively eliminated.

-------------------------------------
However, if one has room, and or is willing to take the time to disassemble the anchor for storage - then the use of the large water spike is a wonderful light weight option that holds boats very well.

========================
p.p.s.
I was watching the TV series - Deadliest Catch - last evening. This is the show about the Crab fishermen fishing the Bearing sea close to Russia. In this case, one of the boats had come into St. Paul Island to hunker down behind the island to beat the worst of the storm. But, even though he was behind the island, the boat still had to contend with huge Ocean Swells as a result of the storm. To save fuel, he as using the 2500 lb anchor to hold his 100 foot long crab fishing boat. The storm was increasing and the crew was on high alert. They were tending the anchor, when the biggest swell of the night came along and the power of the wave surge was sufficient to break the 2500 lb anchor in 1/2. So, had to keep the boat headed into the waves for the next few hours, burning up fuel - to remain save and then, break out the pocket book to buy another anchor before heading back out to the fishing grounds.

Mother nature has incredible power, so you need to equip your boat as needed to fish the conditions you expect to encounter in a safe manner.

Be safe
Old 08-21-2019, 10:14 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersaki View Post
I haven't upgraded my anchor in the many years since I had a 14' boat. It's a mushroom type and I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't hold my 18' boat in a big wind. My home lake is mud bottom, but fish a couple times a year at Lake Vermilion, which is pretty rocky. I may also do some river fishing next year. What are your recommendations for an anchor for my boat? A Richter anchor has my interest, but how would those spikes hold in mud? Not interested in a spot lock vs anchor debate nor chain/rope length discussion. I use spot lock for fishing, but need an anchor for safety and swimming. TIA.

andersaki

I use a 15 lb. Digger anchor, they work great
Old 08-21-2019, 11:05 AM
Wallhanger

I use a Fortress Gardian 3 or 4lb aluminum anchor for sand. 20lb navy style anchor for harder bottom. The Fortress Gardian has great holding power in softer bottom. I also use 5' of chain ahead of each.