Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lowrance networking - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 02-07-2009, 04:30 PM
Minnow

Default Lowrance networking

I currantly have a Lowrance 332 and i just purchased a LCX27C can I network these 2 units together? If so how do i find out the best way to do this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot View Post
I currantly have a Lowrance 332 and i just purchased a LCX27C can I network these 2 units together? If so how do i find out the best way to do this?
Yes, you can network them together with a NMEA 2000 network. I am going thru something similar right now too, and found a lot of info at the following URL (but it is not real intuitive--there are a lot of gaps in the info and you have to really search the Lowrance site for all the info): http://www.lowrance.com/en/Support/ look at FAQs and Tips and Tutorials

Your LMS-332C is a blue connector system, and the LCX-27C is a red connector system. You probably have a "Y" cable on the 332 connecting the unit to the gps puck (LGC-2000). If you have an LGC-2000 it is also a blue connector module. To enable the LGC-2000 and 332 to communicate with the 27C, you will probably have to update the gps puck software and the 332's also. The link above also tells you how to do that (check the "Downloads/Product Update" link). If you get this network all hooked up, you can use the LGC-2000 to give gps data to both the 332 and the 27C. Therefore you shouldn't need to get a new gps antenna for the 27C. You can use the network power wires from the 332 or the 27C to power the network, but, ONLY POWER THE NMEA 2000 NETWORK WITH ONE POWER SOURCE. By the way, you won't be using the "Y" cable with this network configuration.

For the NMEA 2000 network, you will probably need two NAC-MRD2MBL (part # 127-04). These are 2' long adapter cables to hook your LGC-2000 and the 332 to the red network. If you get the 27C without the gps puck, you will need a N2KEXT-2RD (part # 119-88) which is a 2' long red network cable to hook your 27C to the network backbone. To finish out your red network you will need three red "T"s, all hooked in line. And, a male red 120 ohm terminator TR-120M-RD (part # 119-99) and female red 120 ohm terminator TR-120F-RD (part # 119-97). The cables from the LGC-2000, 332, and 27C hook to the bottom of the "T"s, and the terminators go on either end of the red "T"s. If the LGC-2000 is at a distance from your display units, you will need an extension cable. A 25' red extension cable is N2K-EXT-25RD (part # 119-83). If you wish to mount the 332 in the front of the boat and the 27C at the console, you will need to insert a red extension cable between the "T"s for the 332 and 27. Go to this site for general NMEA 2000 info http://primus.lowrance.com/support/d...-Conn%2529.pdf

You can see the parts LEI sells at this URL http://www.lei-extras.com/store/sear...owranceNET+Red Select "by type"/"Networking," then "LowranceNET Blue" or "LowranceNET Red" to see the other networking parts available. I bought my parts at www.byownerelectronics.com and saved some money.

I've got all my network parts together. I am also installing a pair of fuel flow meters (EP 60Rs). I downloaded the software updates for my LGC-2000 and Globalmap 4800M, but was unable to install them into the two units. I will be calling Lowrance on Monday to see what the problem is there. Hooking the network together though should be a piece of cake.

By the way, if you want to use the same transducer with both units, you will need a 2 unit to 1 transducer switch. You cannot network a sonar signal (other than just a digital depth number) over a NMEA 2000 network because the sonar signal takes too much bandwidth. A sonar signal can be shared between two sonars with an ethernet cable, but your 332 does not have ethernet.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Last edited by Workdog; 02-07-2009 at 07:47 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:14 PM
Wallhanger

workdog, nice informative post. i was going to explain it but glad u beat me to punch. i agree that in whole the process is rather confusing when begining(lack of info available) but once you get ahandle on it, it is pretty simple. i am curious about the depth overlay for a unit. can i have my bow mount reflect the current depth from my console unit via the nmea 2000 network? if so...what info on the bow mount screen is available..i.e can i have it showing gps chart page with current depth also? just trying to keep my buddies happy (seems they are always wanting to know 'how deep are we') w/o dealing with sonar interference from 2 ducers. i still dont understand why you cant have a 'slave' unit that just shows what the unit reading the sonar is displaying. a simple video feed is all im wanting....until i upgrade to the newer units that use ethernet cables.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2009, 05:54 PM
Wallhanger

Hi, I have a 334c and a 520c both with GPS networked together. Now that it is done it looks simple. I had a problem so I took both locators to Cabelas and their locator tec guy hook up everything. I had to buy some extra parts though. If all the cable ends are the same color (red or blue), it makes things a lot easier. I don't have a problem with interferance between the units, but my 520c looses the bottom over about 5 or 10 mph, but that's not a network problem. Good luck.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyecatcher01 View Post
workdog, nice informative post. i was going to explain it but glad u beat me to punch. i agree that in whole the process is rather confusing when begining(lack of info available) but once you get ahandle on it, it is pretty simple. i am curious about the depth overlay for a unit. can i have my bow mount reflect the current depth from my console unit via the nmea 2000 network? if so...what info on the bow mount screen is available..i.e can i have it showing gps chart page with current depth also? just trying to keep my buddies happy (seems they are always wanting to know 'how deep are we') w/o dealing with sonar interference from 2 ducers. i still dont understand why you cant have a 'slave' unit that just shows what the unit reading the sonar is displaying. a simple video feed is all im wanting....until i upgrade to the newer units that use ethernet cables.
Thanks for the kudos. There is another current thread that describes the depth readout between two networked units which describes this process. From all that I've read, you cannot share maps between units over the network. Believe this is because of the copy protections the map chip manufs put in their chips. You could handle the ducer interference problem by selecting 200 khz on one and 50 khz on other if that is an option for you. As far as the "slave" unit goes, the sonar data would still have to travel thru the cable to the unit, and the NMEA 2000 cable just doesn't have the bandwidth to allow it. Kinda like trying to suck a basketball thru a straw.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:17 AM
Wallhanger

thanks again Workdog...think i got it figured out. im just waiting for my t-connector to get here from lei and i'll have her all set up. i added a 200/50 ducer so that i can run both bow and console units...just would be handy to have the bow reflect the depth when trolling so bow mount isnt in the water, guess i could run another ducer off transom to bow but i think i got enough cables running through the boat already. i even kept my bird 787c2i off old boat and got it at the console. maybe when more people get the new HDS units and low. gets the kinks worked out of em i'll upgrade.