Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Totem Lodge July 20 - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 03-27-2019, 10:23 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78dave View Post
Guys, thanks a ton for your input. The run makes perfect sense to me. I would guess at day break it is a parade of boats heading that way west on Long Bay and west through Sioux Narrows all heading either to Yellow Girl or Whitefish. From what the maps show me the channel is deep through Long Bay and starts to tighten up around Whitefish Narrows. The channel is marked with buoys I see. Does that mean you can run pretty hard for most of the run west. If you follow the buoys you should be safe? That was my only concern. Otherwise slow down and learn the bottom and routes?

Thank you all again
One big note of caution. Over the years I have assisted three boats that smacked the reefs in whitefish narrows. All were folks new to the lake and didn't understand how the channel markers are set up.

Look at your map and understand in advance how the markers are arranged. The markers are set up as they are in a river system, but can make navigation of this big lake confusing depending on your orientation.

Daily, you will run out long bay and the red markers will be on your left and the green on right. (Red/Left, Green/Right) This will be the case as you head west and northwest. Return at the end of the day, reverse that and life is good.

The problem comes when you go out long bay and turn left or south thru whitefish narrows. The markers will now be red on right and green on left. (Red/Right, Green/Left) The error made by many is that they don't realize the change of "downriver" navigation. The three I assisted kept red left going down thru whitefish narrows (same as just minutes ago in long bay) and the reefs thru there, outside the markers, are non forgiving. This navigation error happens often there and accounts for many of the stories I hear from others.

The net is that many view going down thru whitefish narrows from long bay as a left turn, when it is effectively a complete change in channel direction. This change applies to everything south of that point in whitefish and Regina bay areas.

The second biggest navigation problem is that others see guides and more experienced anglers take shortcuts and try to follow. I had a friend that would always cut thru a gap that he had used for years. One day, just got to close to island and smacked the rocks. I still see boats shoot that gap, and cringe when I see it.

I would recommend to stay in the channel markers in all your daily runs and returns.

Apologize if you are already well versed on this, but I hate to see someone new to this area have problems.

Again, good luck and have a safe trip!

2020 Lund 1975 Pro-V
225 Mercury 15 Mercury
Ulterra 112 I Pilot Link MDI
Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA+ SI (2)
Humminbird 360
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2019, 06:16 AM
Minnow

Default Totem

I am far form well versed on this. I looked at the map an the red and green were indeed confusing. Red being port and green being starboard, but that reverses as the channel changes flow direction. I think the idea of just taking my time is a good one. Funny the GPS comes up as I just went crappie fishing Wednesday and the Garmin just quit. Great. No GPS either. Have a RMA under warranty and will send it back today. Did catch a couple limits of crappie though so spring is here.

To all I really do appreciate this input. I have learned a ton and will make a call to ask about the map. I got the Hotspots map, but perhaps there are other maps I need? My sonar does not have a chip for a lake map. We fished the French river last year and sure enough we got lost. Lucky for us someone came by and re-directed us.

Take care all
Old 03-29-2019, 06:27 AM
Wallhanger

Once you check in spend some time picking the brain of the resort owner. Voice your concerns, he will help you get around. It's in his best interest that you have a safe enjoyable trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2019, 06:51 AM
Minnow

Default Totem

I have the maps and found the navionics map online and it looks like the first several miles is straight line from buoy to buoy. As it tightens up I see the route is more critical. Tking my time out the first time I can waypoint the buoys and run between I would guess until I get further west. Thinking about getting another sonar with a SD lake chip.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:15 AM
Charter Member

In waters of which I am unfamiliar(and on some of which I am), I always take a long hard look at my map before starting to a new location. Generally, most maps will show a safe route through buoys, whether the route is "upstream" or "downstream". Perhaps not looking can be compared with not wanting to ask directions when lost on the road. It only takes a minute to check out the map, regardless of the up or down rule.

Bill
Old 04-04-2019, 08:02 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78dave View Post
I have the maps and found the navionics map online and it looks like the first several miles is straight line from buoy to buoy. As it tightens up I see the route is more critical. Tking my time out the first time I can waypoint the buoys and run between I would guess until I get further west. Thinking about getting another sonar with a SD lake chip.
I've made the drive from Sioux Narrows out to the Cliff Island area for over 20 years on our yearly trips. If you say on course, its pretty easy. The trouble comes when you try new spots in areas you aren't familiar with.
Old 04-05-2019, 04:44 AM
Minnow

Default Totem

So Redline how long does that run take? Do you run full throttle?
Old 04-05-2019, 05:30 AM
Keeper

We ran from crystal harbor to red Cliff last August one day. I have a tiller with a 90hp and cruise around 25-30mph. Fairly certain it took around 45 minutes.

I have an old navionics chip with a navigational trail. Had no issues. I will say you should spend time getting familiar with the bouy system as it would be easy to mess up but also easy to follow. I thought they switched out at whitefish narrows so search that.

Water stayed blue out to the smiley face and then turned tanin. Nice water out there but we sure didn’t find many Muskies.
Old 04-07-2019, 05:14 AM
Minnow

Default Totem

I ordered the LOW Whitefish Bay 6213 chart map to go with the Fishing Hot Spots maps I got earlier. I am still really thinking about getting a chart plotter GPS. I just bought a new Garmin Stryker 7 that does not have an SD card slot thinking I would never need it. Well I should have spent more, but limited Cabelas points to use. I am looking online for one and then get a card so I have the lake mapped. The comment about getting in trouble off course makes a lot of sense but at idle that might ding a prop, but not tear off a lower end.

What I want to find as well are the buoy GPS coordinates. I assume those are fixed and don't move too far?

Old 04-07-2019, 07:09 AM
Wallhanger

Howdy,

Respectfully speaking, I would HIGHLY recommend getting a GPS capable sonar unit and using the Navionics+ mapping software for that area, particularly since Lakemaster is limited in its LOTW courage.

I fish out of Witch Bay but have been as far as Totem on long runs and frequently see their boats, overloaded for comfortable fishing as they cram as many people into them as possible (at least the ones I have seen).

Having said that, I think (again respectfully) you would be crazy to drive on LOTW without a GPS and navigation software.

The lake is big, rocky, and dangerous if you don't know where you are all the time. For your safety and the happiness your vacation is supposed to bring I highly advise spending the money.

Take care,

Ruddiger

Tags
totem