Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lac Seul East end Ramps & Camping locations - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 04-19-2018, 10:40 AM
Slot Fish

Default Lac Seul East end Ramps & Camping locations

Hello all,
I'm planning an end of June trip to Lac Seul. I'd like to target the North East end of the lake & do not mind a daily long boat ride from ramp to my final fishing destinations. (Have a Skeeter WX2060 with 250 on it, Navionics Canada chip plus plus community updates has the entire route to far NE end of lake in 1' topo detail, and I may get a guide for my first day just to learn the water.)

What I'm in need of is boat ramp and camping choices. (I'll be in a pickup camper towing my boat.)

Public Boat Ramps:
The only boat ramp's I've found are:
1) Deception ramp 10 miles NE of Sioux Lookout ("community edits" route mentioned above is from this ramp).
2) Sioux Lookout on Pelican Lake (my research has me avoiding this one as I'd need local knowledge to go through Pelican Falls to get North... if that's even possible)
3) Hudson / Lost Lake area (but looks to be the longest boat ride)

Are there any other options for public ramps other than these on the East end of the lake, even if I'd need to drive past Deception ramp? North of Sioux Lookout, satellite maps shows a ramp just East of Mahkwa Lodge at the East end of the causeway heading to Kesic Bay Island in the Vaughan Bay area. Is this a public ramp or private? Do any of the resorts (Mahkwa, others further West, or other?) allow you to pay for using their ramps? Are there any public ramps on main lake further West that would end up giving me just as long of a boat ride anyways as from Deception ramp?

Final ramp question: If you have any words of guidance or caution in navigating from these ramps to the NE area of Lac Seul, I would love to hear them.

Camping:
What are my options to camp in the Hudson, Sioux Lookout areas if I were to end up using Deception ramp for example? The only camping I've found thus far are at the following resorts: Abram Lake Park, Timber Edge Camps & Deer Path Lodge. Are there any public campgrounds in the area? Any "boon docking" opportunities similar to Walmart parking lots? Finally If I were to put in at one of your suggested ramps further West, what are my camping options there?

Thanks in advance for your advice & wisdom!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2018, 11:19 AM
Wallhanger

I believe that Hudson, Sioux Lookout and Deception are your only options for launching. I know nothing of Mahkwa, but others do.

Re: camping, as a non-canadian, in many areas, and to my knowledge the whole of Lac Seul, you are not permitted to camp on any crown land within 1/2 mi of shoreline, The only exception is if you stay in a campground. The ones you mention are about the only that I know in the area. That said, there are some nice, relatively inexpensive housekeeping cabins available at a couple fish camps in the same area south of Sioux Lookout. We stay at Frog Rapids Camp, rates are reasonable, and haul to Deception and back by trailer daily.

Feel free to PM me for more info if you'd like.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:15 PM
Wallhanger

I'll be up June 30th through the 4th of July also with a WX2060. If you see a black one with electric blue strip that's me.

We head out of Hudson, but take the route on the Navionics map. It's pretty accurate. I will be logging for Navionics while I am up there. I try and stay on the DL so no one see's where I am fishing.

First time up with the Skeeter so i am really looking to see how this thing does on fuel on these long runs.
NPAA #803
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2018, 03:23 PM
Wallhanger

The ride from his son is about the same distance as deception.theres a ramp up by kejick bay but I think you saw the old ferry terminal they had to bring pulp trucks across
The avionics Canada has a houseboatvroute on it that's safe to use.your talking a 40 mi.one way ride. Personally I wouldn't do it more than once.then once.fishing good there but it's good everywhere.busy place.all camp boats go there and the house boats.pelican falls are not bad to go through.just need higher water and keep the speed going coming back up.i know guys thayvgiide there let me know and I'll give you some numbers if there available.minnitaki has some fantastic fishing to.
Old 07-04-2018, 04:02 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH View Post
I'll be up June 30th through the 4th of July also with a WX2060. If you see a black one with electric blue strip that's me.

We head out of Hudson, but take the route on the Navionics map. It's pretty accurate. I will be logging for Navionics while I am up there. I try and stay on the DL so no one see's where I am fishing.

First time up with the Skeeter so i am really looking to see how this thing does on fuel on these long runs.
Pretty sure I followed you in yesterday in the rain. I came through the rags and you were coming in on my right as we were headed back. Followed you though the manitou and crooked. Couldn’t keep up after that. We were in a blue tyee.
Old 07-04-2018, 04:16 PM
Keeper

For years we stayed at Abram Lake Park and trailered to Deception landing every day. They have a decent shower house and laundry if needed. You can find plenty of good fishing in Sen Bay if you choose to go that way. No need to go farther unless the mood strikes you. Take the route through Loon Rapids and the Zig-zag to go there. If you want to head up towards Chamberlain Narrows it is shorter to take the route through Manitou Rapids and The Rags.
Old 03-31-2019, 04:04 PM
Slot Fish

Hey Jim, I think I talked to you at Abram Lake Resort.. I just shot you a PM.

LM
Old 04-01-2019, 10:06 AM
Slot Fish

Default Lac Seul

Lazermule... Yes, that was me you met. Guess a few notes to all about my trip. I ended up staying at Abram's Lake Resort and trailering my boat daily to the launch ramp at the East end of Deception Bay. Turned out to be a great combination. Abram's Lake Resort was an excellent place to stay for this. Multiple sites that were easy to pull into / out of every day as was my need. (Left pickup camper on truck, and boat remained attached during entire trip.) Facilities were in excellent condition. Owners of the resort had owned the facility for decades, and had spent the last few years doing tons of maintenance & upgrades in preparation for their retirement / possibly sellling the business. Boat launch / ramp parking was excellent to use. I spend first day making my way up to the NE corner of the lake, going slower and plotting my track on my GPS as I went whenever I deemed necessary despite being on the Houseboat path most of the miles. On day 2 I scouted my way to Sen Bay via the Zig Zag. Rest of my trip I had safe passages mapped, and could go at full speed for majority of my travels. I did discover two humps 4' under the surface where digital Navionics maps showed no humps at all on two occasions, so watching one's depth gauges & idling on one's first passage to new waters definitely helped to keep me safe. My trips to NW corner found up to 108 miles travelled in a day. Fishing was phenomenal. I arrived at the very end of the mayfly hatch, and minnows spawning. Fished very successfully in 4' of water for first part of my trip, then needed to move out to first points out of shallow / sandy bays & reefs to stay with the fish.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:21 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokaneJim View Post
Hello all,
I'm planning an end of June trip to Lac Seul. I'd like to target the North East end of the lake & do not mind a daily long boat ride from ramp to my final fishing destinations. (Have a Skeeter WX2060 with 250 on it, Navionics Canada chip plus plus community updates has the entire route to far NE end of lake in 1' topo detail, and I may get a guide for my first day just to learn the water.)

What I'm in need of is boat ramp and camping choices. (I'll be in a pickup camper towing my boat.)

Public Boat Ramps:
The only boat ramp's I've found are:
1) Deception ramp 10 miles NE of Sioux Lookout ("community edits" route mentioned above is from this ramp).
2) Sioux Lookout on Pelican Lake (my research has me avoiding this one as I'd need local knowledge to go through Pelican Falls to get North... if that's even possible)
3) Hudson / Lost Lake area (but looks to be the longest boat ride)

Are there any other options for public ramps other than these on the East end of the lake, even if I'd need to drive past Deception ramp? North of Sioux Lookout, satellite maps shows a ramp just East of Mahkwa Lodge at the East end of the causeway heading to Kesic Bay Island in the Vaughan Bay area. Is this a public ramp or private? Do any of the resorts (Mahkwa, others further West, or other?) allow you to pay for using their ramps? Are there any public ramps on main lake further West that would end up giving me just as long of a boat ride anyways as from Deception ramp?

Final ramp question: If you have any words of guidance or caution in navigating from these ramps to the NE area of Lac Seul, I would love to hear them.

Camping:
What are my options to camp in the Hudson, Sioux Lookout areas if I were to end up using Deception ramp for example? The only camping I've found thus far are at the following resorts: Abram Lake Park, Timber Edge Camps & Deer Path Lodge. Are there any public campgrounds in the area? Any "boon docking" opportunities similar to Walmart parking lots? Finally If I were to put in at one of your suggested ramps further West, what are my camping options there?

Thanks in advance for your advice & wisdom!
Mahkwa Lodge does have a boat ramp.
However, it is for Mahkwa guests only.
At least that has been the resort's position for the last few years.
Mahkwa does have Housekeeping, American and Modified American plans but no camping.

2019 Skeeter WX1910
Old 04-02-2019, 11:57 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP View Post
Mahkwa Lodge does have a boat ramp.
However, it is for Mahkwa guests only.
At least that has been the resort's position for the last few years.
Mahkwa does have Housekeeping, American and Modified American plans but no camping.
Correct, we have asked and they said just that. It is reserved for their guests only.

LM

Tags
camping , lac seul , ramps