Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Suzuki or Mercury - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 05-28-2020, 03:50 PM
Minnow

Default Suzuki or Mercury

Looking for advice on these two brands. I had just ordered new Alumacraft 185 with a Suzuki 175 motor. With the recent news of Evinrude no longer making motors I was called by my dealer to see if I would like to have a Mercury 175 put on instead. I was very comfortable with the Suzuki but was wondering if anyone would have thoughts on this if you had to make this choice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2020, 04:05 PM
Keeper

As long as you have good service from your dealer, either would be a good choice. I had a Suzuki 225 HP motor for eight years, and it was a great motor. Not one issue in that time. The new Mercury four stroke Pro XS has received great reviews. The XS will growl a little, and the Suzuki will be whisper quiet at idle.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:13 PM
Wallhanger

Suzuki has a good reputation but either motor should be fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2020, 10:19 PM
Wallhanger

I believe Mercury would be a v6 with larger block and more torque in 175hp. Mercury in my experience has more dealers. I own a 15hp efi Suzuki. it has been flawless but all maintenance parts I have to order.
Old 05-29-2020, 01:32 PM
Wallhanger

Suzuki makes good motors but so does Mercury.....

If it were me I would hang a 175 Pro XS on the back if for no other reason because I am supporting American workers.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:25 AM
Keeper

I say go with the motor with the best warranty and dealership. Suzuki’s are top notch motors FYI but the new mercury engines are good too. I would have preferred a Suzuki on my new lund but ended up with a mercury 150 pro xs. I’m not heart broken as the mercury has some features the Suzuki doesn’t but I know There are commercial fishermen on the east coast who have 4000 hours on their Suzuki’s with no major issues. They are VERY reliable.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:36 AM
Minnow

I have the new proxs just in the bigger V8. I believe they all have that awesome growl though at start up. You turn the key and It sounds like pure American muscle. While cruising it’s smooth and quite compared to a two stroke. Hole shot is ridiculous. The looks of the engine just look flat out mean hanging off the back. My opinion. I wanted a g2 originally but glad I got the merc. They done good with this new guy.
Old 05-31-2020, 04:45 PM
Slot Fish

I wanted a Suzuki in 2008 when I ordered the new Lund 1825 Pro Guide Tiller. But did not like the $1500. Price tag on the tiller handle.
But being your not going tiller that is not an issue for you. Boat before this I had a 140 Suzuki on it. Ran for ever on 18 gallons of gas. So quite you would try to start it when it was running. Easy to service and man did I say I loved that engine.
May be going with a new Suzuki soon myself. Will be the 5th I have owned.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:08 AM
Minnow

Thanks for all the input on this. From all your input I would be happy with either motor. Which is what I expected but just nice to have a good feeling when making a major purchase. I ended up going with the Suzuki because my dealer thought there could be some delays with the Merc since Merc and Alumacraft just started this relationship. Already waiting for new boat and didn't want to extend that if I didn't have too. Thanks again.
Old 06-01-2020, 11:52 PM
Keeper

Betting you'll like your new Suzi.