Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Favorite chip(s) for Lowrance HDS LIVE units? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 05-23-2020, 03:34 PM
Wallhanger

Default Favorite chip(s) for Lowrance HDS LIVE units?

It appears from Lowrance's website that the bow-mounted HDS-9 LIVE and console-mounted HDS-12 LIVE units that will come with my new 620FS Cup (finally now being built - hooray!) will have "C-MAP US Enhanced Basemap and Navionics basemap" included. I'll have lots to learn with respect to these electronics (and everything else about the boat) and I'm not in any hurry to buy any new chip(s) for them, but while reading up on things in advance of getting the boat I saw that there are quite a few supported:

"C-MAP (MAX N, MAX N+) C-MAP Genesis C-MAP Precision Contour HD (AMER ONLY) Navionics (Gold, NAV+ Platinum+) Insight (Pro and HD) Lowrance Regional Mapping Partners"

At this point purely out of curiosity, what is/are your favorite chip(s) among these, and why?

I'll be fishing pretty much everywhere in NY, including Lake Erie and especially in the Adirondacks and near vicinity. I also expect to fish a meaningful amount in MN, and likely occasionally at various points between NY and MN and in adjacent Canada.

As I said, I'm in no hurry on this, just thought it would be fun and educational to hear the thoughts of folks with experience.

Gerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2020, 09:47 PM
Wallhanger

Your units will come with some version of C-Map. They just released C-MAP Contour +, so if they don't have it
see this thread, for information and links to the free/cheap upgrade: https://www.walleyecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=709230

All the other C-MAP offerings are either pretty much saltwater or deep south bass fishin' mapping.

The only freshwater-only alternative seems to be Navionics Hot Maps Platinum. (the other Navionics are also heavy into saltwater).

See this thread, with more information, especially post #12 where I compare the old Lakemaster to CMap to Navionics Hot Maps Platinum: https://www.walleyecentral.com/forum...8&postcount=12
The thread also has some discussion about the on-line features of the brands. The earlier link also has a discussion several pages in where apparently some of the strangeness I found in the C-MAP base map has been corrected.

I'm pretty much only MN, and tend to slightly prefer the Navionics map. Before, I loved the old Lakemaster, so the included C-MAP is also an excellent choice - it's pretty close to the same thing. For Navionics, it looks like you will need to buy seperate cards for the two regions you will be fishing in. If such is the case, I would not do it, and not look back.

Navionics gives you 1 free year of updates, and after that charge you. I let mine expire.
Lowrance told me they don't do updates to C-MAP at all, what you get for the base is it. Not sure if that will change with the Contour +. C-MAP themselves doesn't appear to sell a separate "upgrade" equivalent to the Lowrance included maps.

If you are interested in the Navionics, I wouldn't dawdle for a long time. They are owned by Garmin, and there is a someday chance they could shut the door on Lowrance, just like was done for LakeMaster.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:44 PM
Wallhanger

Thanks, GBS, that's very helpful!

Gerry