Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
2020 Shorelandr trailer centering - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 01-11-2020, 08:38 AM
Wallhanger

Default Self centering roller

I had the same issues with my Impact, I installed a self-centering roller on the cross member just aft of the winch - works like a charm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2020, 03:46 PM
Wallhanger

jdavis that’s a nice looking boat!
Old 01-12-2020, 12:52 PM
Keeper

Lazy Ike and big popi could you guys post some pictures of your roller installation?

Thanks 7 Mag!
Old 01-12-2020, 06:36 PM
Keeper

Yes when I can get to the boat.
Old 01-13-2020, 04:44 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavis View Post
Lazy Ike and big popi could you guys post some pictures of your roller installation?

Thanks 7 Mag!
here is mine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Impact trailer roller.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	498.9 KB
ID:	314912  
Old 01-13-2020, 09:38 AM
Wallhanger

I don’t bother to try to center my boat when retrieving. However, it always self centers after driving a short distance. The effectiveness of this method is dependent on the deadrise of the boat. If you use this method don’t tighten the the lower side tie down until the boat is centered. It’s nice not stressing over centering a boat particularly when retrieving solo.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:59 PM
Keeper

Thanks big popi. You have no problems with the roller being low? I assume it still effective?
Old 01-14-2020, 04:31 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavis View Post
Thanks big popi. You have no problems with the roller being low? I assume it still effective?
not at all, I make sure the self-centering roller is no more than 6-8" so when the keel catches it, then it will guide the boat. Takes a couple tries to find the sweet spot, then it is good to go
Old 01-14-2020, 09:42 AM
Wallhanger

I might be all wet here but I do not think that will solve your problem the centering roller will center boat as it is in contact with the hull but in my case most time back of boat is still floating when I go to pull out and unless that roller is in contact with keel at time of pulling forward it will not keep boat centered. Very front of bow is lower than center of keel so it would center maybe when pulling on but if boat floats above it will not help. I tried at the beginning trying to back in center and then pull ahead but boat would still move to starboard as I pulled ahead that is why I came up with the foam covered PVC over load guides to keep the back where I wanted it. I don't want load guides tight against sides they are there just to assist in getting square with trailer after I remove the PVC pipes nothing is rubbing against the boat. The centering roller sounds like a good idea but I don't believe it will work on mine.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:44 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcoop52 View Post
I might be all wet here but I do not think that will solve your problem the centering roller will center boat as it is in contact with the hull but in my case most time back of boat is still floating when I go to pull out and unless that roller is in contact with keel at time of pulling forward it will not keep boat centered. Very front of bow is lower than center of keel so it would center maybe when pulling on but if boat floats above it will not help. I tried at the beginning trying to back in center and then pull ahead but boat would still move to starboard as I pulled ahead that is why I came up with the foam covered PVC over load guides to keep the back where I wanted it. I don't want load guides tight against sides they are there just to assist in getting square with trailer after I remove the PVC pipes nothing is rubbing against the boat. The centering roller sounds like a good idea but I don't believe it will work on mine.
My thoughts as well, the front isn't the problem, it's the back that only has a few inches before it's on the fender. I could be wrong though.
Can you send a pic of your set up? It sounds like it would and does work.
Thanks.