Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Interference from Motorguide Xi5.. - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 02-15-2020, 08:08 PM
Wallhanger

If you don't get that fixed you may end up with a fire at some point. Maybe you can order new wiring. Maybe call or send your pic's to MG and find out how much and how long. Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2020, 10:27 PM
Wallhanger

It actually makes perfect sense that they're is no interference when out of the water. The transom transducer is picking up the interference when the trolling motor emitting the interference enters the water as the transducer is in the water. Its not going to pick it up is the motor is in the air. If you can try and wrap electrical tape around the wire that's broken to see if that provides the shielding needed. Even if it doesn't correct it, if it lessens it then you know where your problem is.

Also do not tie your 24v negative into your 12v negative. If you look in your instruction manual it will say explicitly not to do this. You can do this if you had a 12v motor but not a 24 or 36v. Think if it this way if your 24v system had a dead short you now tied that into your 12v system, probably cook all your equipment on the boat.
Rhodan 72" 36v 120 lb. thrust trolling motor
Simrad nss evo2 12
BG Zeus2 12
Lowrance HDS 12 gen2
Lowrance point 1
Simrad is40
Sonarhub
LSS 1
2 Cannon tracks
2 Cannon electric downriggers
2 Highseas quad rod trees
6 Bert's ratcheting rod holders

Last edited by ltrain; 02-15-2020 at 10:55 PM.
Old 02-15-2020, 11:38 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrain View Post
It actually makes perfect sense that they're is no interference when out of the water. The transom transducer is picking up the interference when the trolling motor emitting the interference enters the water as the transducer is in the water. Its not going to pick it up is the motor is in the air. If you can try and wrap electrical tape around the wire that's broken to see if that provides the shielding needed. Even if it doesn't correct it, if it lessens it then you know where your problem is.

Also do not tie your 24v negative into your 12v negative. If you look in your instruction manual it will say explicitly not to do this. You can do this if you had a 12v motor but not a 24 or 36v. Think if it this way if your 24v system had a dead short you now tied that into your 12v system, probably cook all your equipment on the boat.
Thank you. Yes, you’re right, now that you mention it, it does make sense. I will try get some electrical tape wrapped around the wire but it’s tight access and may be difficult. If necessary I’ll removed the covers and see if I can loosen the wire enough to get some slack in it...it seems to be folded around that bar really tight. I’m really curious to know anyone else has the same issue with their Xi5.
Again, thank you for your suggestion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2020, 05:38 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellback View Post
Was your interference using the trolling motor transducer?
Yes sir it was...and i am using the TM trans on the new one

YouTube...Jim Lyon Fishing
Old 02-16-2020, 08:28 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Bob View Post
Get that fixed up and I bet you will be good to go. There is probably a shield in the wire that makes or looses contact depending on the motor position. I am not familiar with the inside of your TM but on Minn Kota there is a fuse that will blow from stray current. that will allow electric noise to get out because the fuse is part of a ground system. You will get it solved.
Well I decided to take the entire TM apart and repair it myself. I wrapped it in electrical tape and covered it with heat shrink tubing. Unfortunately, still have the same interference as before. 😞
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5F53EF1A-6F75-4782-94C4-EB4E3D71A47C_1581910078190.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	315842  
Old 02-16-2020, 08:59 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidvc1964 View Post
Well I decided to take the entire TM apart and repair it myself. I wrapped it in electrical tape and covered it with heat shrink tubing. Unfortunately, still have the same interference as before. 😞
Nice looking job! Needed to do it anyway. No fuse found? I think maybe Jones trolling motor might give you an Idea at least on a repair. Sounds like you are POed enough to fix it yourself. Good luck
Old 02-16-2020, 09:03 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Bob View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidvc1964 View Post
Nice looking job! Needed to do it anyway. No fuse found? I think maybe Jones trolling motor might give you an Idea at least on a repair. Sounds like you are POed enough to fix it yourself. Good luck
Yeah, there was no fuse. And yeah, I’m glad I didn’t spend the time to send or to MG for repair...would have been very POed to wait for it to get back and still have the problem. Not really sure who “Jones” trolling motor is but I’m open to any ideas at this point.
Thanks.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
I thought so. Having a hard time understanding why the OP is getting interference on his set using the transom mount transducer.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:06 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellback View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
I thought so. Having a hard time understanding why the OP is getting interference on his set using the transom mount transducer.
Yeah, I’m really having a hard time figuring it out. Thought it was the cracked casing in a wire inside the TM but I repaired it yesterday and it still has the exact same interference.

Here’s what I know...

1.) This started gradually a few months ago and has gotten progressively worse.

2.) I haven’t changed any wiring or wire tied any wires together since the system was installed about 2 years ago. (But I did replace the TM batteries myself a few months ago).

3.) interference goes away when TM is at full speed. But as soon as I click the speed back down a notch, the interference is back.

4.) Interference doesn’t happen when TM is out of the water.

5.) No interference from TM built in transducer. Only picking it up from the rear/transom transducer.

6.) I’m extremely frustrated.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:45 AM
Charter Member

So it's getting progressively worse over time? Could it be the brushes in the trolling motor itself? They are a wear type item. The armature in the motor spins and the commutator runs against the brushes. Moving parts, so I guess that could cause things to get progressively worse.