Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lowrance EP-60R Fuel Sensor Install Help - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 03-12-2010, 09:11 AM
Keeper

Default Lowrance EP-60R Fuel Sensor Install Help

The directions for the sensor installation call for 2 main items to be followed when installing the sensor:

1. It must be vertical with the fuel flow direction arrow pointed up.
2. It must be installed after a fuel filter.

This poses a problem for me and the way I see it I have 3 options and i am hoping someone with experience can help me choose the best method available to me:

Option 1:
I currently have a 10 micron water seperation filter mounted in the splashwell of my boat. I could install the sensor directly behind this filter which would keep the sensor vertical, but the arrow will be pointed down. I don't understand what this would hurt and Lowrance wouldn't tell me why the arrow needs to be pointed up, or if it will work if pointed down for liability reasons per a phone call to their tech support. Can anyone answer the question of why the arrow would need to be pointed up to operate as desired as long as the fuel was flowing through it in the proper direction?

Option 2:
Install an inline filter under the floor, near the fuel tank and install the sensor behind this filter. I have no idea how I would keep the sensor in a vertical position installed like this and I would have to cut a hole in my floor and install an access hatch in case the filter was ever to clog. I would be willing to do this if I had a method to make sure the sensor stayed in a vertical position.

Option 3:
Throw the sensor in the garbage.

For reference, I am trying to install this in a 2006 Mr. Pike 18.

Does anyone have experience installing one of these with the arrow pointed down and if so, how did it work installed this way?

Thanks!

Last edited by eyecatcher_1; 03-12-2010 at 09:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2010, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

Well I can tell you for certain that it has to be mounted verticle and the arrow in the up direction of fuel flow. I tried to cheat and mount it horizontal, and it didn't work. With the arrow pointed down, possibly the fuel flow could get air in it?
I came off my filter, turned the fuel hose down, then back up like a U, and installed the fuel flow sensor on the up leg of the U.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:54 PM
Wallhanger

I'll just throw my two cents in as I have a EP-60R all wired in, but have yet to splice into the fuel line.

Lowrance probably requires the sensor to be installed in a specific way in order to get correct readings. I can't imagine any liability reasons, just the fact that it works better in a certain orientation. Doesn't the sensor have some holes for bolting to a cross member?

As to the second requirement, I don't understand why the sensor WOULD require a fuel filter. Rather it would seem that IF you have a fuel filter, it would need to be placed before the sensor. This also makes sense to get the best reading on flow. That does remind me though that I wanted to get a water separating filter, so I might as well do it now.

On my Lund rebel, the fuel line is already vertical as it transitions from the bilge area to the splashwell, so I would install the sensor just before it comes through there. I have a large black round access cover that can be screwed on or off to get to the bilge area, giving me access to both sensor and potential filter location.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2010, 02:04 PM
Wallhanger

I guess I don't understand why you can't run a short length of hose FROM your filter/seperator to the EP-60r, then connect from there to the motor. Use rubber-lined hose clamps above and below it to mount to the transom, or splashwell, so that the arrow is pointed vertically.
Maybe post a picture of how & where your filter is mounted now?
HRG
Old 03-12-2010, 04:50 PM
Keeper

Thanks for the replies!

Shellback - Well, you took the easy option away...thank you for your input!

HRG - I took some pictures of the area I am working with. I never thought of attaching the sensor to the splashwell via hose clamps. Is there a specific type of hoseclamp that would allow me to screw it to the splashwell? Take a look at let me know what you think.

Rebel - My setup must be a touch different than yours. My sensor does not have any holes for attaching it to anything and my fuel line is not accessible as it comes up through the bilge area. It comes from under the livewell up to the rear gunnel where it exits as seen in the picture out of the plate mounted on the side of my splashwell.

As you can see in the picture, I do have access to the main fuel line (which appears to be 1") through the 4" circular panel next to the yamaha filter. I could put an inline filter here if necessary. This would allow me to place the sensor on the line as it exits the side of the splashwell and prior to entering the Yamaha filter. This would require adding additional fuel line, creating a "U" shape and placing the filter on the up side of the "U", then attaching the line to my Yamaha filter. Does that make sense?

The main concerns that I have are:

1. I do not want to be stuck on the water trying to figure out how to access an inline filter or the sensor should either of them clog.

2. I also run a kicker motor, but I am not positive that it generates enough of a fuel flow to generate on my sensor, however it consumes fuel that I would like to account for.

I am most likely overthinking this but that is just my style...besides I am bored!

Thanks for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Filter.jpg
Views:	1884
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	3871   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sensor.jpg
Views:	649
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	3872  

Last edited by eyecatcher_1; 03-12-2010 at 05:02 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:09 PM
Wallhanger

Eyecatcher,
Here's how to accomplish what you're looking for. Keep the line from the tank hook-up to the filter alone. Remove both fuel lines (at the filter) that run to the motors, and block-off one of the now open ports on the filter. Run a short loop of hose and mount the sensor to the aft of the filter (or wherever you'd like), with clamps to hold it in position. From the sensor, add a piece of hose, and then a "T", to allow both fuels lines with primer bulbs to run to each motor.
Am I making any sense?
HRG
I'd use rubber lined clamps (sometimes called Adel clamps) to hold the sensor in position, like these;
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	adel clamp.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	3874  

Last edited by Hot Runr Guy; 03-12-2010 at 05:13 PM. Reason: forgot the clamp
Old 03-12-2010, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

I did it a little different.

I did not like the idea of putting in a T like the last suggestion and relying on my primer bulbs to act as check valves, but Im sure it would work fine

I put the sensor before the filter. But I knew it wasnt recommended. Sure enough, a small piece of debris got into the sensor and stopped it from working.

So instead of replumbing it, I just got another fuel filter (the same one that is on the motor) and installed it before the sensor.

So now I have 3 filters. That one, the seperator filter, and the one on the motor. I was concerned about too much fuel restriction with such a setup, but its been on there for 2 years now and has worked fine.

not saying this is better than the other suggestions, but it worked fine for me. And my kicker draws so little fuel the sensor hardly ever reads that it is drawing fuel.

Dad shot the little fellow.

Mary had a little pig.
Her father shot it dead.
Now it goes to school with her,
Between two hunks of bread.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:09 PM
Keeper

I actually just changed my configuration to have two outputs on the filter and got rid of the T because I was told not to rely on the primer bulbs for a check valve. The Adel clamps will work great and are a fantastic idea. Thank you!

I am also worried about fuel restriction with 3 filters and the sensor in line. I wouldn't want to run my motor too lean...however, it sounds like PJ's is working this way. I think I will add a filter to the main line, then create the loop that HRG described and fasten the sensor to the sidewall prior to the yamaha filter. This should allow me to follow the directions and catch both motors while giving quick access to all components.

It has been a pain to find out any information on this product and I really appreciate all of your input. I am sure I will have questions on the setup once I finally have it installed...stay tuned!

Thanks again!

Last edited by eyecatcher_1; 03-12-2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:52 PM
Wallhanger

My apologies, looks like the sensor does not come with any mounting holes for bolts. That would have cost Lowrance like $0.02 and made it easier to install vertical. Oh well. I can see where it might be a bit more challenging with your setup, but some of the suggestions sound like good ideas.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:53 PM
Wallhanger

Sounds like a plan! FWIW, Moeller offers a clear, see thru inline filter that uses replaceable elements. May help you keep an eye on it before anything happens.
HRG
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Moeller clear filter.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	3878