Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Drotto latch - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 06-04-2018, 08:10 PM
Minnow

Default Drotto latch

Anyone have a Drotto automatic boat latch for their Ranger or Stratos? I have a stratos 386 that I'm thinking about trying it on the trailer. My dad has one for his kind and roller trailer and loves it. Its either that or a electric strap with remote. I launch by myself and am tired of climbing out to crank it up. Just wonder what my best option is
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2018, 08:49 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdrieck View Post
Anyone have a Drotto automatic boat latch for their Ranger or Stratos? I have a stratos 386 that I'm thinking about trying it on the trailer. My dad has one for his kind and roller trailer and loves it. Its either that or a electric strap with remote. I launch by myself and am tired of climbing out to crank it up. Just wonder what my best option is
Love mine, wouldn't own a boat without it
Motorguide
Lowrance
Old 06-04-2018, 09:02 PM
Keeper

drotto latch has totally simplified my boat loading. I won't own another trailer without a drotto latch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2018, 10:05 PM
Wallhanger

I'm on my second one
Old 06-04-2018, 10:46 PM
Wallhanger

Do they work well for roller trailer? My concern is I'd have to back in further and boat could come out crooked if it doesn't fall in right when I'm pulling out. Would like to hear from roller trailer owners.
Old 06-05-2018, 05:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrain View Post
Do they work well for roller trailer? My concern is I'd have to back in further and boat could come out crooked if it doesn't fall in right when I'm pulling out. Would like to hear from roller trailer owners.
No need to change how deep one backs in the trailer. If anything, I load with the trailer a bit more shallow than before installing the Drotto. I just drive right on letting the rollers guide the boat.

That is the whole key to loading a roller trailer. Best NOT to float the boat above the rollers and hope it "falls into place" when driving out. The best results are obtained when the rollers lift and guide the boat as you are driving the boat forward onto the trailer.

Works best for me when the rear rollers are just under the water. Front set or rollers are a few inches above the water.

Trailer depth also affects the bow eye placement in relation to the Drotto latch. Having the trailer at a depth such that the rollers are supporting the boat means the bow eye will be neither too high nor too low in relation to the latch. If the boat is floating above the rollers, the bow eye height (in relation to the latch) will never be the same.
Old 06-05-2018, 05:50 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tandm View Post
Drotto latch has totally simplified my boat loading. I won't own another trailer without a drotto latch.
Me to !
On a roller trailer with four Bulleseye Guide-ons.
Old 06-05-2018, 05:56 AM
Wallhanger

Thanks Huntindave, exactly the info I was looking for!
Old 06-05-2018, 06:09 AM
Minnow

Anyone use it with a bunk trailer?
Old 06-05-2018, 06:23 AM
Wallhanger

My mounting post is a bit unique, next question is will drotto fit?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180605_072001.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	301644