Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Has anyone been checked by the OPP in the Dryden area lakes? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 07-19-2014, 03:22 PM
Minnow

Default Has anyone been checked by the OPP in the Dryden area lakes?

I've heard from a few locals that the OPP have been seen out on Lac Seul and Eagle Lake. Has anyone been stopped and what are they looking for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2014, 05:10 PM
Wallhanger

An OPP plane dropped in on us at Wabakimi the first week of June on their joint effort with the MNR. They placed a buoy in the deepest part of the lake with temperature sensors every 8 ft. to the bottom. Strictly a scientific study that I'm sure we will not be privy to.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:04 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Pike View Post
I've heard from a few locals that the OPP have been seen out on Lac Seul and Eagle Lake. Has anyone been stopped and what are they looking for?

They're looking for $$$$$$$$$$$$

Screw up & they'll get some of yours !
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2014, 07:31 AM
Minnow

My brother is an OPP officer in Dryden, you may be seeing him on the water. I myself have been checked several times in the area. They check to make sure there is no alcohol on board. They also check for valid fishing licences, up to date life jackets, complete marine safety kits, and any other required boating safety gear. They also check for a mandatory marine operators card, but I'm not sure if that applies to Americans.

Oh yeah they can check your fish and limits, too. Pretty much same authority as MNR officers.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:47 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
They check to make sure there is no alcohol on board.
Finn: Do you know what their position is on "one beer for shore lunch"? We've heard that most MNR or OPP officers will still allow that - true or not?
Old 07-20-2014, 08:18 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv4fish View Post
Finn: Do you know what their position is on "one beer for shore lunch"? We've heard that most MNR or OPP officers will still allow that - true or not?
In addition to this, what is the penalty if you do get caught with beer in the boat?
Old 07-20-2014, 08:38 AM
Keeper

We were told one time by OPP that you could transport your cooler to shore with the beer, but it could not be on the boat while fishing. The cost is approximately $100.00 per beer based on the fear factor provided by OPP; do not know if that is accurate.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:01 PM
Keeper

We had beer in the boat a few years back and the MNR officer told us it was $50 a beer full or empty at that time. He was cool and told us that it belongs at camp and none was to be in the boat. Shore lunch or not NONE in the boat.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:22 AM
Wallhanger

I have been told that you may transfer alcohol by boat to a outpost camp but you may not under any circumsatnce have alcohol in the boat while fishing. I have heard that penaltys range from fines to lost fishing privileges.

I only know of one case that a fine was issued and it was $200 for three beers in boat.

Mike Kansas
Old 07-21-2014, 10:21 AM
anon

Default Not even for shore lunch

A warden in the Kenora area informed us politely that alcohol was a no-no unless at your residence. The residence could be a cabin, resort, tent, etc..... but shore lunch was not an acceptable place. "Public Drinking" was what he referred to as being illegal. He in formed us that even though we probably would not have a problem at our camping area, technically, we were in violation of the letter of law if we sat around our campfire and had beer. He left us with a friendly verbal warning that the handful of beers in our cooler would be better off unopened after we were done with our lunch. We obliged, and wouldn't you know it, after we had lunch, he pulled us over again and asked if we still had the beer. We did and he thanked us. It would have been in the neighborhood of $500 out of our pockets if we would have happened to have empties after lunch according to him.

That was the last time I took beer in the boat in Ontario. From my experience, the OPP is a lot less willing to explain and give you a break.