Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Zip wake tabs ?? - Page 4 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 08-16-2021, 10:17 AM
Wallhanger

For reference below are a few install pictures so you can visualize how they mount and how you need a flat transom surface adjacent to the running surface of the boat. Ranger FS series boats have a stepped and contoured transom, hence why they actually had to redesign the transom on the PRO boats to accept this system.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8094.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	499.9 KB
ID:	328704

Name:	IMG_8072.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	497.3 KB
ID:	328706

Name:	IMG_8077.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	491.2 KB
ID:	328708
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2021, 10:26 AM
Wallhanger

And three more photo's from on another boat I installed them on.

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	507.8 KB
ID:	328710

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	516.1 KB
ID:	328712

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	507.4 KB
ID:	328714
Old 08-16-2021, 11:04 AM
Minnow

This thread has been helpful as I was looking at possibly adding trim tabs to my 2019 1880 Angler. I know it has the Reata hull, which is different than the FS (pro's and cup's), but is does have the same step down concave type transom. Wondering, like "Gbin", is anyone has mounted trim tabs on any model of fiberglass ranger. If so, could they add photos to the thread.
Old 08-18-2021, 08:51 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLE View Post
There seems to be a-lot of confusion on this thread. As far as the ZipWake System, our walleye boats use their smallest interceptor, the S300 which is 300 mm in length for each interceptor. You need a 100% flat surface on the transom that is level with the bottom running surface of the boat to mount the interceptors. The interceptors are essentially 12" wide by 5" tall. You do not need access into the transom as they mount with lag screws and are not thru bolted. You can actually run the interceptor control cord over the back of the transom just like a transducer cord however that does not look as clean as the through hull options (where you drill a hole through the transom and run the concealed control wires through the hole).

The FS series hulls do not have a flat surface on the transom adjacent to the running surface to mount the interceptor unless they are equipped with the cut out area for them as shown on the Pro series boats. It's a no go with out some serious effort to make a contoured mounting block for the interceptor to mount to. You might be better off looking at a more traditional style trim tab for the cup rangers that don't have the area molded into the transom for the interceptor. I'm not even sure that works with the step in the hull.

As far as needing them (tabs in general), they will make any boat better, no questions asked! As I've quoted several times from a pro that runs tabs "they make a ****ty boat decent and a good boat great". I might be off in the exact wording but it's pretty close. For reference I've now installed 3 set of zip wakes on different boats, and am on my second season with them on my own so I'm pretty well versed with them.

These are definitely on the list for my Alumacraft 205 Tiller! We often rent a cottage on an island which is quite a run from the ramp OR have anywhere from 2-5 people in our boat for a trip here and there. These will be great for dealing with the un-even loads! For our aluminum transom I plan on thru bolting them because I don't trust lag bolts into aluminum (but that's just me).

If anybody is wondering , Zip Wake sells an aluminum adapter plate if you need them to sit a little further out from the transom. I am going to use this and router out spots to go over a few bolts that will prevent a flush mount.

I can't wait to install these. I have the perfect spot to mount the controller now as well
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210722_151102.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	581.7 KB
ID:	328744   Click image for larger version

Name:	Alu plate KB300.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	499.5 KB
ID:	328752   Click image for larger version

Name:	Alu plate no2 KB300.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	496.0 KB
ID:	328754  

Last edited by LuvMyLabs; 08-18-2021 at 08:56 AM.
Old 08-18-2021, 11:48 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbheli View Post
You need 330mm between the vertical lines. I don see any reason you can mount a tab on this boat. I have an engineering contact at zip wake happy to email them of like. You are not always going to get the best answers from dealers.

I realize you're trying to help, but there is no way to install zip wakes on a Ranger FS hull without having the hull that has been designed with the zip wake pocket. I have a 2018 620 FS and have looked into this several times. The spot on these hulls where the 300s interceptor needs to be mounted is not even remotely close to being flat in the horizontal or in the vertical axis. If you mount it higher where you marked in your photo (red area on my hull), they won't even be in the water. And that area isn't flat either in a FS hull.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20210818-103426_Gallery.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	294.5 KB
ID:	328756  
Old 08-18-2021, 12:41 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalman View Post
I realize you're trying to help, but there is no way to install zip wakes on a Ranger FS hull without having the hull that has been designed with the zip wake pocket. I have a 2018 620 FS and have looked into this several times. The spot on these hulls where the 300s interceptor needs to be mounted is not even remotely close to being flat in the horizontal or in the vertical axis. If you mount it higher where you marked in your photo (red area on my hull), they won't even be in the water. And that area isn't flat either in a FS hull.
of course they will be in the water, my boat has a step in the transom and I was told they may not work yet they are on my boat and work great. Unless stuff is simple most people today say no. I also respect that you are trying to be helpful but I'm stubborn and until I conclude it myself I have never accepted the word no, it does not exist in my world very easy. We can put a man on the moon, I'm sure I can figure out a way to get a trim tap on a boat. I like to think outside the box. I was also told the control head would not work based on where I wanted to put it and the angle of my dash and it had to be +- 5° to centerline so they said mount it on top or remote the radio, Well, its right where I wanted it. Simple wedge I designed and sent to a online printer to make works great. I am dead on to the centerline +-0°
Humminbird Helix G2 x 1
Talon
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes

Last edited by bbheli; 08-18-2021 at 12:43 PM.
Old 08-18-2021, 02:10 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbheli View Post
......................Unless stuff is simple most people today say no. I also respect that you are trying to be helpful but I'm stubborn and until I conclude it myself I have never accepted the word no, it does not exist in my world very easy........................
All I can say is go physically look at a newer 620/621FS series boat. The description about the concave nature of the X & Y axis of the transom is the best way to describe it. The transom is curved in both directions (vertically & horizontally). There is NO flat area to mount the interceptor. It's not only not flat, but it's significantly contoured aaaand the hull is stepped. The pictures don't do it justice. With that said, if there's a will there's a way, but it would be extremely difficult for most without some machining or contouring resources that most don't have (like a 3d scanner, 3D printer, CNC Machine), so it's likely to be fairly expensive to try an adapt the Zipewake system to a non-equip Ranger FS boat.

A more traditional tab system like the Powertran Protab might be a better option and an easier install. I mention Powertran as the actuator can be mounted at an angle from what I understand. They use a ball socket connection between the tab and the actuator so there's some forgiveness in difficult mounting applications where things aren't straight in-line.
Old 08-18-2021, 06:47 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyLabs View Post
... Zip Wake sells an aluminum adapter plate if you need them to sit a little further out from the transom...
I understand your application and the adapter plate you showed us sounds great for that, but why would anyone ordinarily need the Zipwake tabs to sit further out from the transom? (I wonder how easily one could modify such a plate to mount flush on a concave transom on one side and provide a flat surface for the Zipwakes on the other?...)

Am I understanding correctly that some of you think a concave transom surface AND a stepped hull are BOTH problems for a Zipwake system? If so, why would a stepped hull cause an issue?

Gerry

Last edited by gbin; 08-18-2021 at 06:49 PM.
Old 08-19-2021, 08:27 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbin View Post
I understand your application and the adapter plate you showed us sounds great for that, but why would anyone ordinarily need the Zipwake tabs to sit further out from the transom? (I wonder how easily one could modify such a plate to mount flush on a concave transom on one side and provide a flat surface for the Zipwakes on the other?...)

Am I understanding correctly that some of you think a concave transom surface AND a stepped hull are BOTH problems for a Zipwake system? If so, why would a stepped hull cause an issue?

Gerry
Hi Gerry,

I sent them a picture of my transom with the bolts circled that will interfere with the installation I asked them if I could put a piece of 1/2 starboard between the interceptor and the hull. So I could counter sink the bolt heads into the starboard, then mount the zip wakes to the starboard.

I worded my previous response incorrectly, apologies! I asked if a set back would effect performance of the interceptors.

This was their reply:

We recommend to use an aluminum plate to fit on the transom and on the plate install the interceptor, see attached pictures.

They might need to be modified due to the heads of the bolts to fit on the transom.

We recommend to install the interceptors as far out on the side as possible to reduce unpleasant roll movements as efficient as possible.

You need to check that the transom is flat and straight and I attach the installation guide were you can read about the guidelines how to install the interceptor.
Old 08-19-2021, 08:37 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyLabs View Post
Hi Gerry,

I sent them a picture of my transom with the bolts circled that will interfere with the installation I asked them if I could put a piece of 1/2 starboard between the interceptor and the hull. So I could counter sink the bolt heads into the starboard, then mount the zip wakes to the starboard.

I worded my previous response incorrectly, apologies! I asked if a set back would effect performance of the interceptors.

This was their reply:

We recommend to use an aluminum plate to fit on the transom and on the plate install the interceptor, see attached pictures.

They might need to be modified due to the heads of the bolts to fit on the transom.

We recommend to install the interceptors as far out on the side as possible to reduce unpleasant roll movements as efficient as possible.

You need to check that the transom is flat and straight and I attach the installation guide were you can read about the guidelines how to install the interceptor.
Interesting. Might you still have the pictures and installation guide they sent you for the interceptors, and if so, could you share them here or by PM? Thanks!

I bet the interceptors don't cost much by themselves. Maybe I should buy 1 (or 2 if you have to buy a pair) and see what I can do by way of shaping one side of them to my stern with a grinder and such...

Gerry