Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Berkley Big Game vs. XT - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 09-21-2019, 05:33 AM
Wallhanger

Default Berkley Big Game vs. XT

I run 10lb XT on my trolling rods so it matches the Precision trolling charts.
By the end of the season it is twisted/kinked up. I never have that problem with braid. What are your thoughts on Big Game? 12lb Big Game is the same diameter as 10lb XT. Is it any better? It would be pretty expensive to fill 6 reels with braid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2019, 06:24 AM
Slot Fish

ive never had any of those problems with big game on my trolling reels. I do usually run a flouro leader with a high quality swivel
Old 09-21-2019, 07:41 AM
Keeper

Exactly what I use. Big game 12lb. Never had problems and the price is right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2019, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Brighton,
Every other trip, remove all terminal tackle from your line. Put all of the rods in rod holders and start to idle across the lake. Let all of the line spool off of every reel, right down to the reeel arbor. Then, while running at trolling speed, run about a mile or so in the water. Then, take the motor out of gear and wind in all of the lines. All twists will be gone.

---------------
A common thing for folks to do, is to do this on the way home.
On the way back, remove all of the terminal tackle including snaps and swivels and let all of the line off of the reels and run at trolling speed for a mile or more.

Slow the boat, and reel in the lines. All twists will be gone and you will be good to go again.

=============================
P.S.
If you are running a conventional bait casting reel while trolling, you are not getting any twist in your line from the reel. The twist is coming from the lure and its action in the water. Whatever lure or bait that you are using to cause line twist is spinning in the water and twisting the line.

So, if you have a favorite lure that twists your line, take a couple of good ball bearing swivels and put them in series with about 4 feet between the swivels to stop the twist.

Another thing that you can use is a trolling rudder. A trolling rudder is common on lake trolls which employ a trolling rudder in conjunction with several massive inline spinners when trolling for lakers, salmon and trout. If not running the line off of a rigger, there is a hole in the bottom of the trolling rudder that folks use to attach a weight. The appropriate weight in the bottom of the trolling rudder gets the spinners to the required depth and the use of the weight hanging below the trolling rudder insures that the rudder does not spin and put twists in the line.

----------------------------------
https://www.google.com/search?q=Jens...w=1680&bih=907

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wwKrv_8T3M
Old 09-21-2019, 07:41 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigeton View Post
By the end of the season it is twisted/kinked up. I never have that problem with braid. What are your thoughts on Big Game? 12lb Big Game is the same diameter as 10lb XT. Is it any better? It would be pretty expensive to fill 6 reels with braid.
If your line is all twisted your bait is spinning.Either because it is got weed or something hanging on one of the hooks. A snagged fish will spin as you reel it in. The lure has hooked the line. All these and more are going to happen. You need to pay attention to each rod and if something looks different reel it in and fix the problem asap. Do as REW suggests to get some of the twist out. I there is a bunch of debris floating around you might need a swivel a few feet before the lure to prevent the line from getting hopelessly twisted. Line needs to be changed on a regular basis,especially mono. (cost of the trolling game) Buy a big spool of what you like to use. It is way cheaper. Bob
Old 09-23-2019, 04:41 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigeton View Post
If you bought a bulk spool of braid it would keep the cost down. I only put 350 feet of braid per reel and i "top it up" when i trim some off . Havent changed my braid in years and it has a lot of advantages over mono. I don't buy into the fluro hype. In fact the last 5 years i have been fishing with a 4 foot leader of 12 lb Knot to Kinky titanium trolling wire on gin clear Lake Ont and it hasn't hurt my catch rate.
Old 10-02-2019, 01:40 PM
Wallhanger

I use 12# Big Game on all my mono trolling applications. It is a little stretchy but unless I am trolling very long lines I like that for playing fish, running boards, and absorbing hard Salmon and Steelhead strikes. I donít recall any twist issues. YMMV
Live and die on this day......
Old 10-02-2019, 07:09 PM
Wallhanger

300 feet of 15lb braid after 15lb mono backing. Run a small swivel to a ten pound mono leader. Use the 10lb cat dive chart. Never have had a problem and the system is as accurate as running straight mono. It lasts longer than mono and saves more lures. I would say it pays for itself in comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk