Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Home Grown Tackle:The Wonderful World Of Slip Bobber fishing!! - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Home Grown Tackle > HGT General Discussion

Old 04-26-2012, 09:31 PM
Wallhanger

Location: Philadelphia PA Suburbs/The mighty Delaware/A dirty beach in Jersey
Default Home Grown Tackle:The Wonderful World Of Slip Bobber fishing!!

Hello to all of the slip bobber God's!I have a question about bobber stops and braided line.Do these two things go together.I have been having a tough time getting 3 different kind of stops to work on braid.I've tried the dogbone,the compression knot,and the one with the silly putty like bead.None of these want to work on my 6lb suffix braid.Do I need to spool a spool woth mono to make this work?Or maybe a 25' top shot of mono?Is there a stop that's just for braid?Also with the low profile guides on my new rods how do you get the stinkin stop to flow freely through these guides??I hope I don't need a technique specific rod for this type of fishing.????

Thank you in advance!
FC

OK Slip bobber guy's can we open this thread up and throw in some Slip Bobber Do's and Don'ts?Some Techniques you like,Equipment you use ect......

Thanks FC

Last edited by fishincrazy; 04-29-2012 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Change title!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2012, 10:03 PM
Wallhanger

Braid has never worked for me. I also dont like the dogbone or the rubber bead. I use the string knots you can get anywhere. Pull em tight and clip off as much a you can. The string and line have to be wet to slide the knot. I run it through my mouth to adjust knot. I use Trilene XL but mono is what works. I cant help with the low profile guides. Dont spend too much, its just slip bobbering. Good Luck.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:13 AM
Keeper

Try a heavier textured braid and the knot type stops with the tag ends clipped.

I use a 6lbs mono diameter braid that is more "textured" so it grips the stops better.

Also as mentioned before you don't need to spend a bench on a bobber rod. There is no sensitivity needed so you just need to look for something that is long, sort of light weight to hold, and has big guides for the stop to flow through a bit nicer.

Good luck with the slip bobbers. It is one of my favorite techniques to use for walleyes.
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2012, 04:56 AM
Wallhanger

Location: Philadelphia PA Suburbs/The mighty Delaware/A dirty beach in Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Seaguar View Post
Braid has never worked for me. I also dont like the dogbone or the rubber bead. I use the string knots you can get anywhere. Pull em tight and clip off as much a you can. The string and line have to be wet to slide the knot. I run it through my mouth to adjust knot. I use Trilene XL but mono is what works. I cant help with the low profile guides. Dont spend too much, its just slip bobbering. Good Luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
Try a heavier textured braid and the knot type stops with the tag ends clipped.

I use a 6lbs mono diameter braid that is more "textured" so it grips the stops better.

Also as mentioned before you don't need to spend a bench on a bobber rod. There is no sensitivity needed so you just need to look for something that is long, sort of light weight to hold, and has big guides for the stop to flow through a bit nicer.

Good luck with the slip bobbers. It is one of my favorite techniques to use for walleyes.
Thanks a ton guy's I'm thinking I'm going to spool up a mono spool.Some people are going to bust my !@$#!! over it but you gotta do what you gotta do.I've got a couple of 8-9 foot sticks I could use for this you know the rod's that sit in the corner.Might need to put on some new eye's but they'll work great!!Your right no need for the fancy smancy rod for bobber fishin.

Thanks a Ton!!
FC

HMMMM Maybe this should be a HGT thread???Are you guy's interested in talking slip bobber fishin??I'm thinking outloud again aren't I.
Sorry
Old 04-27-2012, 06:31 AM
Keeper

I use 6lb mono on all my bobber rods and it works great. I found that with braided line that I would get the bobber wrapping up in the line a lot on the cast. The stiffness of mono helps with that and the stops hold great, sometimes too well and I have trouble moving them.

Joe
Old 04-27-2012, 06:58 AM
Keeper

I use 6lb Nanofil on my slip bobber rod. Picked up a cheap shakespeare 8'6 steelhead rod for slip bobbering. Nice and long for good casting distance and big guides for teh stop to go through.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:59 AM
Wallhanger

use the knot type stops. If they are slipping on your line you can install two of them and let them butt up against each other. I also leave the tag ends a little long so I can grab them and tighten them back up as needed.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:43 AM
Wallhanger

Default "Slip Bobber"

Hi Fishincrazy, I am a BIG fan of slip bobbers. I too use Mono with the string knot stop. It works great for me. The is always something magical about that bobber going under LOL. Have a great year.

Thank you,
Larry Mac
Old 04-27-2012, 08:00 AM
Wallhanger

Default Secret Tip

Learned this one a while back. Waxed dental floss works great as a bobber stop knot. I use the cinnamon flavor because it is red. I double up a length and tie a uni type knot (maybe 4-5 wraps) around the line, make it long enough so you can pull it tight. By leaving the ends long enough to grip, you can tighten it if needed, although that is usually not necessary. I've been using it on braid with no problems, 10# Fireline on my perch rods, no problem with slipping.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

Unless you are working some sort of weird structure, there is really little reason to use braid when bobber fishing.

Mono works perfectly when bobber fishing, the bobber knots hold and adjust well and as long as you use a reasonably long bobber rod to take up any slack or stretch, you will have no issues catching fish.

99.9% of the time when bobber fishing the fish are hooked by the time the bobber has gone down so it is just a matter of reeling in the fish.

I know that if you are fishing some heavy weeds or other tough stuff, there are some advantages to using a heavy braid, that is still small in diameter that you can use to saw the weeds off and retrieve your hook and fish.

But if you are not fishing that special structure, little reason to use the braid.

Good luck
REW