Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Vehicle hail damage. - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 04-30-2016, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

Default Vehicle hail damage.

Got home last night to find the vehicles are trashed from a hail storm we had Thursday night. Anyone been through this? How do they repair the vehicles? I think new panels are needed but I'm sure my ideas are different from the insurance companies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2016, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

you will be surprise how well some of them can massage most of them out, then they fill the rest.
Dry ice trick also works on some
Old 04-30-2016, 08:06 AM
Wallhanger

Having spent a good amount of time in South Dakota ... that is normal wear and tear ... Just kidding.

The insurance adjuster will determine what type repair is needed.
Tech for paint less dent removal has advanced pretty well in the last several years although they have not figured out how to do it on body lines ( places where the sheet metal is bent or tightly curved ). Also insure the "trim" pieces are noted such as around the windows and light fixtures ... not just the body panels.

If your vehicles are that bad there will probably be a "CAT" team adjusting in your area in short order. Just be sure they have proper lighting when inspecting the vehicle and you will come out alright.
Doesn't take to much to total out a vehicle with bad hail damage.

Check with your insurance agent so you are informed before the inspection by the adjuster ... they swing a heavier bat in your favor.

Morton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2016, 08:08 AM
Wallhanger

About 10 yrs. ago, my 6 week old pickup got hail damage. Dozens of dents, including in the box, side rails, etc. Had the Paintless Dent Repair done and I was amazed. Not a dimple, paint crack, --no noticeable damage left. As mentioned above, you'll be amazed what they can do without replacing anything.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

Bob,
Due to the flat surfaces, typically some of the worst damage on vehicles is seen on the hoods and trunks.

The simple thing to do, if you are doing it yourself is to go to a salvage yard and get replacement hoods and trunk covers that are already painted in the color of your vehicle.

Remove the old, and install the new.

Normally fenders are not hit too bad because they are curved and are on the way down.

But, if the roof is hurt, either the cold dent removal or the removal of the body's head liner and conventional body tools will eliminate the dents.

If the vehicle is more that about 5 years old, it is likely that the insurance company will total the vehicle if the damage is severe.

My wife's car's have been caught in the hail twice. Since both of the cars were over 5 years old, both of the vehicles were totaled. Since there is 0 deductible on glass coverage, I had all broken or cracked glass replaced. Then, I replaced the hoods and trunk covers with salvage yard parts and the wife used the rest of the money to get things that she needed.

When it came time to sell the vehicle for a different vehicle, there was not much of a discount that needed to be taken since the hood and trunk panels ha taken care of about 90% of the hail damage.

It all depends on how large and how severe the hail was that hit the vehicles. If the hail was softball size, I would guess that the vehicle would be totaled and it would be best to take the money and get a different vehicle.
But, if the hail was golf ball sized or smaller, then it is likely worth it to get the vehicle repaired.

The very first thing to do, after getting the insurance adjuster to look at the vehicle is to get any broken glass replaced. Then you can decide what to do, after you have clear and unbroken or cracked glass in each glass location in your vehicle.

When the hail came through the area a couple of years ago, causing millions of dollars of damage, most of the insurance companies set up stands at the local shopping center where the hail was centered. Then, the damaged cars could be driven through their particular insurance stand, the vehicle estimated and a check written to the owner to take care of the damage. There were thousands of cars effected, but the process went very very quickly. Taking care of the damage took longer of course.

Good luck
Old 04-30-2016, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for all the info guys. Pretty bummed about the truck. It only has 6,000 miles on it. The other car is a rental while the honda sits at the dealer waiting to have the air bag replaced from the recall. That car is really really bad. Looks like 2 separate claims and some cash coming out of our pockets for the deductible. Mother Nature at it's best.
REW, I'm not doing the work so my fingers will be double crossed that the truck looks like new again when they are done.
The truck has hood,both fenders and roof damage. It's pretty bad.
It was crazy when the wife called me Thursday. She was home when it happened and really freaked out that the sky lights were going to bust it was so loud. Nothing I could do since I was out of town all week for work.

Have to climb on the roofs next and check them. A few shingles were on the ground from 1 of the 2 garages so they might be a mess as well. I am hoping the house roof is ok since we just put dimensional shingles on it a couple years ago.

Last edited by bobk; 04-30-2016 at 08:49 AM.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:14 AM
Wallhanger

A big percentage of paintless dent removal results in the paint pealing off within a year or two where the dent was. The metal stretches and looses the bond with the paint over a time.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:22 AM
Wallhanger

If there are a lot of dents in each panel they will replace them with new ones. Most times its cheaper for the Ins. co. than to repair. Wiredog
Old 04-30-2016, 09:49 AM
Wallhanger

on a side note ... roof damage is normally defined by 10 visible hits in a 10 x 10 area on a plane ... this will result in replacement of the shingles on that roof plane and ancillary parts like vents, vent caps, chimney covers, downspouts and ridge cap. ... be sure to check the window wraps on sills and sides as well as your siding and fascia covering.

Morton
Old 04-30-2016, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morton View Post
on a side note ... roof damage is normally defined by 10 visible hits in a 10 x 10 area on a plane ... this will result in replacement of the shingles on that roof plane and ancillary parts like vents, vent caps, chimney covers, downspouts and ridge cap. ... be sure to check the window wraps on sills and sides as well as your siding and fascia covering.

Morton
With that ratio of the 10x10 area the roofs need replaced on both garages. It started raining so I didn't check the house yet. Might as well try and claim the doghouse as well. That roofs is damaged. Lol