Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
O'Sullivan lake - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 02-15-2001, 05:34 PM
Minnow

Default O'Sullivan lake

Got a trip booked here for last week in May. Would love to hear from anyone that has fished this quebec lake. Methods, lures and tricks to catching walleye and pike..Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2001, 01:37 PM
bruce

Default RE: O'Sullivan lake

i have been to o'sullivan the last 5 years in june mainly for walleye fishing. ten+ years ago we used to go to o'sullivan outposts for pike. the last week of may i think you'll want to cast lures in the shallow weedy bays for pike. definitly go up to lac clatouche (via boat)and pound the shoreline structure for pike. also hit "piker cove" in clatouche (there is also one in lac o'sullivan) in the southeast portion of the lake. in clatouche watch out for rocks, they are everywhere. i can navigate in my sleep since i've been there so often but for newcomers it requires slow going. don't have much (any) walleye tips for that time, but also inquire about lake trout fishing during your stay, especially if it is a late ice out. alot of anglers go to o'sully the last two weeks of may strictly for the lakers. let me know if i can help w/anything else. ps: the owners russell gagnon, and sons mike and stan are great folks and will assist you with anything you need. tell them bruce (cabin #1) says hello and i'll see them in june!!
Old 02-20-2001, 02:42 PM
Minnow

Thanks Bruce,
I was about to give up hearing from anyone going to O'Sullivan. Myself and 3 other friends going last week of May and this will be our first time there. We met Russ at the sports show and hit it off just fine. We also booked one day at their trophy lake for pike. We have a good selection of spoons and lures since all of us regularly go to Canada. It was just that I would like to hear from anyone that has gone there and what is the best lure and color for pike. And what methods work best on the lakes walleye for shore lunchers... Thanks again..
Old 02-21-2001, 01:56 PM
bruce

dean, for pike have rather large johnson spoons; silver for sunny days and gold for cloudy. white mister twisters are also effective as dressing on the jonhson spoons. johnsons are great to throw anywhere as you can essentially throw them on land and bring them back through, i.e., they don't snag. standard large (approx. 6-inch) rapalas silver and black and gold and black are good as well, both straight and broken back. also standard mepps spinners (silver and gold blades) sizes 3 through 5 can be killer. if they are there and biting no skirts even needed. just be sure to retrieve the spinners immediately upon impact w/the water as they will snag if let to sink at all.

to find walleye it sometimes helps to troll smaller rapalas (3 - 4 inch)in rainbow and perch colors. otherwise slow troll (very slowly) standard bottom bouncers w/as little weight as is necessary. i usually back troll w/these rigs to go as slow as possible. using bottom bouncers of course you want floating jig heads tipped with a worm, or piece of worm. once you find them and some people only use this method; the classic lead head w/ a piece of worm. cast it out and slowly retrieve (or just jig it back to you)or just drift w/ the wind if it keeps you parallel to the shore with its blow. and last but not least possibly the best lure for both pike and walleye is a thunderstick approx. 5 inches long and black and gold. let me know if i can help w/anything else. do you have a map of the lake at this time? if so i could zero you into some locations. bruce
Old 02-23-2001, 12:52 PM
Minnow

Bruce,
Thanks again for this great info. All lures mentioned, except the thundersticks, are in the tackle box. No, I do not have a lake map yet. Wish I did as I would be studying it every night and planning a course of attack. Really looking forward to going to this lake. By your suggestion and others, I hope to be able to make the trip to Clatouche. A reference also indicated that a trip to this lake would find good amount of pike.I have searched the web for a site that I can get a lake map and as of now, I have not found any place to do this. Would you know of any place? Thanks again
Old 02-23-2001, 01:02 PM
bruce

dean, go to o'sullivan website and e-mail stan (russel's son)and he will send you one in the mail. don't e-mail russell since he probably won't answer. i don't think he is internet savy plus he's probably still on the show tour. stan is the e-mail guy in the family. also, i guess you booked a trip to armentier lake; the "trophy lake". it has been in the past but the last few years we have not heard substantial reports at least the weeks we were up there. it is a fun trip however, boat up the river system to clatouche, go to north end of clatouche, dock boats, short hike to motorized canoes through another river system, dock again and another short hike into armentier. alot of fun! keep me posted as to whether you get ahold of a map and i can point out some locations. good luck. bruce