Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Four stroke tansport - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 06-09-2018, 07:26 AM
Slot Fish

Default Four stroke tansport

I just bought a new Tohatsu 9.8 four stroke to use on inland lakes. Did the break in period and stored it in my garage on the floor for about a week. Then I heard you can't store 4 strokes like 2 strokes (hadn't fully read the manual yet) so I put it on a stand per the recommendations. The only other way it is supposed to be stored is laying on its side on the tiller. Needless to say, when the motor was stored on the floor I didn't lay it on the tiller side because it seems counter-intuitive.

So, I get it has to be stored a certain way. The problem is I take this motor to Canada 12 hour drive in the back of a pickup. And standing it up vertically is not an option

Should I remove the oil before the trip? If I do remove the oil, will it really do any harm to the motor to transport it in a manner that works best for loading my truck as opposed to the crazy way it is supposed to be transported?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2018, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsz View Post
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, as opposed to the crazy way it is supposed to be transported?

Thanks
You shared the storage requirements. What does the book say about how it should be transported? I'd strictly follow the book. I would think they would know the procedure which is the best for their engine. Most manuals include a phone number for further info.

Last edited by Huntindave; 06-09-2018 at 01:22 PM.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:46 PM
Wallhanger

Last I was told is that the reason you can not store it on one side is that the oil will leak out the dipstick hole. Besides something breaking off on outside or bending, look into the area before doing, I don’t see any reason you can not transport either way when empty. I would disconnect gas and run it til dry, then remove oil and use padding underneath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2018, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Note page 56 of the owners manual:

https://tohatsu.com/tech_info/own_ma...11114-3AG1.pdf

Lay it on the port side, with the power unit elevated 6 inches.

To do this - I would purchase or otherwise obtain some foam blocks that could be glued together to form a 6 inch block onto which you could lay the motor.

You could glue up more blocks and then use a hot wire cutter to cut out the shape of the power head into the foam to provide a nice cushioned motor support.

You could buy a 4x8 sheet of 2 inch thick insulating foam and after cutting into suitable sized blocks, use foam adhesive to glue the blocks together. Then, use a hot wire cutter to cut out the depression for the motor cavity.

You could also use a long slim toothed bread knife to carve the hole in the foam as well.

-- P.s. Carry along enough extra oil for an oil change in case all of the oil leaks out of the engine during transport. As a precaution against this issue, put the power head in a lawn leaf bad and tie it tight with cord or wire to contain any oil that might happen to leave the engine.

If you do get a bunch of oil leakage, pull the spark plugs after mounting the engine and before starting the engine. Top off the oil level as needed and then spin the motor over for 10-20 seconds to blow out any oil that might have ended up in a cylinder. Then, replace the plugs, start the motor and go fishing.

Good luck
Old 06-10-2018, 12:12 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyWarrior View Post
Last I was told is that the reason you can not store it on one side is that the oil will leak out the dipstick hole. Besides something breaking off on outside or bending, look into the area before doing, I don’t see any reason you can not transport either way when empty. I would disconnect gas and run it til dry, then remove oil and use padding underneath.

Don’t have one so am not sure. If the motor rests horizontally, isn’t there a risk the crankcase oil may bypass the pistons, or flow through the intake valve flooding the combustion chamber with oil?
Old 06-10-2018, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

I bought a t8 many yrs ago, from cabelas. It was all pkged ready to haul home. Got it on and ready to run, wouldn't start. After an hr of trouble shooting, I pulled the float bowl and found it full of oil, holding the float all the way up. Cleaned it out, all was good!
I'd transport your motor with the carb up!
Old 06-10-2018, 08:20 PM
Keeper

I’m one to always follow a manual. But...

The recommended storage orientation is in place for two reasons. Obviously the first thing to consider is keeping the oil in the crank case. Hence the specific recommendation to store it on the tiller side.

The other point about elevating the power head 6” is to ensure you don’t accidentally get any residual cooling water that is stuck in the leg of the motor to run back up the leg and into the engine. Particularly through exhaust passages. Water in the engine would obviously be a bad thing.

If you run the motor completely out of gas, drain the oil, and make sure the cooling system has dried you shouldn’t have any issues laying it on either side, its back, or its front.

Residual oil in the crankcase might find its way out of the engine or into a cylinder, but if you’ve drained out 99% of it this shouldn’t be a problem other than being a potential messy situation under the cowl. Maybe a puff of smoke when you first run it.

REW’s suggestion about pulling the plugs is a good one to make sure you won’t hydro lock the motor with oil on initial startup. But if you’ve drained the oil this shouldn’t be a problem.

Good luck on your trip.

Steve
Old 06-10-2018, 08:32 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW View Post
Don’t have one so am not sure. If the motor rests horizontally, isn’t there a risk the crankcase oil may bypass the pistons, or flow through the intake valve flooding the combustion chamber with oil?

But you said you were going to empty it? I wouldn’t do it with oil in it.

Old 06-11-2018, 02:34 PM
Slot Fish

Thanks for the replies guys.

So, what I'm going to do for transport is I'm going to follow the manual and drain the oil. I can add the oil when we arrive. As far elevating the powerhead, I thinking of just using a boat cushion. That would seem to be sufficient to me but maybe I'm wrong? If so, I'm all ears.
Old 06-11-2018, 02:55 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsz View Post
Thanks for the replies guys.

So, what I'm going to do for transport is I'm going to follow the manual and drain the oil. I can add the oil when we arrive. As far elevating the powerhead, I thinking of just using a boat cushion. That would seem to be sufficient to me but maybe I'm wrong? If so, I'm all ears.

I'd imagine that is fine.

The important thing is just to keep the lower unit below the powerhead if there is still a chance there is water in there. Allow it to drain vertically for a while before sticking it in the truck bed.

I store a 25 HP E-tec on its back on my garage floor. Before that, we strored our old two-stroke Johnson 25 that way too. My 8-hp Yamaha 4-stroke gets drained and stored that way as well.

All have pads or feet on the back that allow it to rest solidly without tipping over. It looks like the Tohatsu does as well. It will rest on those feet and on the anti-cavitation plate.

I realize the E-tec and the Johnson are two strokes, but my point is the water drains fine and we've not had any problems. The E-tec doesn't even leak oil from its tank when tipped this way.

If you're creative, you can store it with the front of the engine facing down and resting on the clamp screws or some kind of bracket you'd make to secure it from tipping over. The engines are made to be tilted out of the water in this direction, so I'd bet the engine can be stored that way with the oil still in it without leaks.

Steve