Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Taking Grandkids to Canada - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 10-29-2018, 03:07 AM
Charter Member

Default Taking Grandkids to Canada

We are taking 2 Grandkids to Canada in 2019 and are looking for a template letter that others use when they take either their kids or grandkids to Canada. They come from a split family so we know they have to have both parents sign a letter. Just looking for a letter that has all the info needed to cross with them. Feel free to send me a message or post it here. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2018, 03:48 AM
Wallhanger

It doesn't have to be anything fancy or in legalese. Include both parents names and contact info, the kids names, your names, that the parents are aware of the trip, where you are going and the dates. Picture ID for the kids is a nice extra verification. That means passports which are pricey but also have current addresses in them, hopefully those match the address of one of the parents. Raised stamp birth certificates are good enough. Kids cross the border with relatives every day.

Our (parents names) children (kids names) will be traveling with their grandparents (your names) to Black Fly Lodge in Bug Swamp, ON for a stay between June 15 and July 15, 2019.

The Lodge can be contacted at 555-555-5555 or (address).

Mom can be contacted at 444-444-444 or (home address)

Dad can be contacted at 333-333-3333 or (home address)

Sincerely,

Mom (notarized signature)
Dad (notarized signature)
Old 10-29-2018, 06:40 AM
Wallhanger

Default Follow-Up

Greetings,

My wife and I have traveled to NW Ontario on several occasions with our nephews. The letter that we carried with us was pretty much as Kzoo described. We did not volunteer the letter at the border crossing, but certainly had it at the ready!

Unfortunately, I no longer have copies of the letters that we used. I recollect two items that you might consider including in your letter.

First, you might consider adding a paragraph that gives permission from the children's parents to you, such that you can authorize medical/dental treatment, including the use of anesthesia. If so, have the parents give the medical/dental insurance policy numbers.

Second, you might consider adding the Passport Numbers for the children as they will likely not have other identification (e.g. driver's license) with them.

Good luck on your trip. Make some great memories together!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2018, 07:06 AM
Wallhanger

I've crossed the border with my kids and grandkids many times. I usually crossed at International Falls or Pigeon River MN. For my kids I brought their birth certificates. For the grandkids I had copies of birth certificates.

My kids were 3 or 4 when they started crossing the boarder with me and I never had a question other than what their names were, but that was over 30 years ago.

I've been taking my 2 grandkids with me a least once a year since 2010. Three times the border people had me park and they had me get out of the vehicle while they questioned the grandkids who stayed sitting in the truck. Their questions consisted on my identity, where they lived, what they were going to do in Canada, what their phone numbers and birthdates were, and if they wanted to go with me or get out of the truck. They never did ask for any letters or documentation. My grandkids were both 8 the first time they went to Canada and could speak for themselves. Make sure they know their basic identity information. I'm not sure what would happen with very young kids who couldn't answer their questions.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:59 AM
Keeper

Arrow Permission letter template

Here is a form my wife found on the internet. I had one ready at the border when I took my son to Ontario this summer. Canadian Border Agent did not ask for it. You could probably get by with less, but what the heck it all fits on one page. Replace the ... with your info.

Consent for International Travel with One Legal Guardian

I, …name of ...address here..., United States declare that I am the legal parent guardian of:
..name, male, born …date at …birthplace
American passport numbered …, issued on …date, at U. S. Department of State.
My child, …name, has consent to travel to Ontario, Canada with … your name, ...address, United States. … your name has an American passport numbered …, which was issued on …date, at U.S. Department of State. My child will be leaving the United States on or around ..date, and returning to the United States ..date.
Any questions regarding this document may be addressed to me at:
… non-attending legal guardians info (name, address, phones)

Signed on this _______ day of ...date
__________________________________________________ ________
non-attending legal guardians
NOTARY ACKNOWLEDGEMENT
STATE OF ...
COUNTY OF ___________________
I _______________________________ certify that …non-attending legal guardian, personally known to me, or whose identity has been proven on the basis of satisfactory evidence, to be the same person whose name is subscribed to the foregoing instrument, appeared before me this day in person, and acknowledged that they signed and delivered the instrument as their free and voluntary act, for the uses of purposes therein set forth.
Given under my hand and notarial seal, this _______ day of June 2018.
__________________________________________________ ________
Notary Public for the State of ...
(Seal)
Old 11-07-2018, 12:16 PM
Minnow

Default Link to template letter from Canadian govt

I'm sure this is very similar if not the same letter as others have posted, but the link includes both PDF and Word files you can download and modify as needed. My buddy brought his son with us (age 10) two years ago for the first time and I had him use this and have both spouses sign it and bring it along. He was never asked to produce it, and we never volunteered it, but we had it ready just in case, as BornToFish said.

I will note this is obviously from the Canadian side, not necessarily one size fits all for re-entry into the US. Our plan was to rely on the one letter for any border inquiries - and we were not asked to produce it either way.

Without further ado:

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/children/consent-letter
Old 11-07-2018, 05:47 PM
Wallhanger

This is the letter that the wife and I use when we take a kid that is not family with us to Canada. He lives with his mom and his father is not involved in any way. We bring this letter and a school I.D. and a state picture I.D. & birth certificate along with a copy of her divorce decree showing she has custody of him. The first year the Canada border agent asked him his birth date and said have a good time. Last year they didn't even speak to him. Better to be prepared. Also have a letter granting us the authority to get medical help. She puts both of our passport numbers into the letter. Later, Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ715 View Post
I'm sure this is very similar if not the same letter as others have posted, but the link includes both PDF and Word files you can download and modify as needed. My buddy brought his son with us (age 10) two years ago for the first time and I had him use this and have both spouses sign it and bring it along. He was never asked to produce it, and we never volunteered it, but we had it ready just in case, as BornToFish said.

I will note this is obviously from the Canadian side, not necessarily one size fits all for re-entry into the US. Our plan was to rely on the one letter for any border inquiries - and we were not asked to produce it either way.

Without further ado:

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/children/consent-letter
Old 11-09-2018, 06:54 AM
Charter Member

For the record, it is not a requirement to have the letter notorized. Just have the parents sign it, and have a great trip!
Old 11-10-2018, 09:55 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obabikon View Post
For the record, it is not a requirement to have the letter notorized. Just have the parents sign it, and have a great trip!
Obabikon is correct, as usual. My daughter has gone with me several times, as well as other group member's children...we have always just had the mothers' signatures and ph #s. We have never had a question.