Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Safety alert - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 05-08-2020, 08:29 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbin View Post
A kill switch is something I haven't thought about before. I'm reading the posts on the topic with considerable interest...

I'll be getting my new 620FS Cup before TOO much longer (they've finally started building it - yay!). So will it come equipped with some kind of kill switch?

The wireless idea appeals to me. Am I correct in assuming that one system could handle both the main and kicker motors? Is there a particular system that folks prefer over others?

Gerry
big motor... yes. kicker, don't think so. if it was there, it wouldn't really be useable. Im not aware of a system that shuts down both. i don't think you would want to be tethered to your kicker in any way as you will be moving around fishing..., just don't fall out only to watch your boat slowly drive away! at least it wont likely drive over you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2020, 08:49 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzoofisher View Post
there on the lake who's dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met.
huge thumbs up in agreement!!!

I've already heard boats flying after dark on Lake Hopatcong (NJ) with zero nav lights... I've also been moving along (Black Lake, NY) well after dark maybe 10 mph and saw a "glimmer" of something odd in a distance- turned out to be a john boat sideways also no lights, no lantern or anything. High speed would have been a collision!! I don't break 10mph after dark, ever since that scare.

1x years ago also on Hopatcong, 3 guys in a 14' tiller rental were wide open (6hp or 9hp), all 3 looking over the motor facing backwards (idiots)... I moved but was way slower than I should've been ( a GET THE F* OUT OF THEIR WAY NOW would've been the best speed for me to react). Worst case, they side swipe me & they get tossed. Best case they miss me. They turned at the last moment when they heard me yelling & finally looked forward, parallel to me & my boat took spray over the gunnel.... I was vested but if I was tossed into 38 degree water I probably would not be typing this today. Oh, yeah, they apologized---- like it mattered. None of those 3 butt clowns were vested. My lesson learned? I don't wait presuming "they'll see me" & move the F* out of harms way hundreds of yards in advance when I can ever since that moment. Totally true story about idiots on lakes.

Happy Fishing!!
Old 05-08-2020, 09:21 AM
Wallhanger

I figured the subject of kill switches really deserves its own thread, so I just started one on the Boats message board. Please chime in there if you're up on these, especially on the wireless kind, even if you've already given your thoughts on them here; I'm sure others would benefit from hearing from you, too! Here's the thread:

https://www.walleyecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=709716

Thanks a lot!

Gerry
Old 06-09-2020, 07:41 AM
Wallhanger

Auto tether is out of business.
Old 06-09-2020, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
I've always thought this would be a great idea. Until reading this thread I didn't know there was actually one on the market. I just ordered one this morning.

Thanks!!

Pooch

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/fell-...gray--18736249
Pooch,

I installed this unit in my Ranger and it works fabulous. First of all one needs to activate the unit before the motor starts forcing one to make sure you have it on you and activated. I have both the lanyard and the wrist holder and prefer the lanyard.

It was too easy to just hop in the boat, start it and take off. After hitting another boat with my tiller in 2014 I got religion fast and wear an inflatable 100% and made sure my tether was connected. Connecting the tether was a harder habit to get used to as you had to disconnect it all the time then remember to reconnect it. With the Fell I can roam around the boat when it is idling without the motor shutting off. I have started the boat then walked the dock to see if it worked.....like a charm.
Old 06-09-2020, 10:19 AM
Minnow

David,
I am thinking of buying this and installing it myself. Did you install this yourself? I have a tiller so I think I would have to add some wire but I think it is doable.
Old 06-09-2020, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATC PZ View Post
David,
I am thinking of buying this and installing it myself. Did you install this yourself? I have a tiller so I think I would have to add some wire but I think it is doable.
Yes I installed it myself. Basically you need a good hole saw. I has to be mounted X inches from any depthfinder. The base unit has 5 wires, Positive and Negative for power then 3 wires (of that 2) that go to your existing tether switch depending on which system your engine has, normally open (a fault closes the switch) or normally close (a fault opens the switch). Because my tether switch is protected inside and doesn't get wet, I simply spliced the right 2 of the 3 wires onto the wire that go to either side of the tether and it works great. The base unit also has an antenna, maybe 6 - 8 inches long that gets screwed in the back of the unit. The directions are quick easy to figure out.