Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Berkley Officially Announces the New Flicker Minnow - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 04-16-2014, 10:07 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ziert View Post
This thread is obviously an ad or front to the main event. What about quality? Don't give us fluff - give us facts. Have you made the bait like other through the body wire reinforcement and use hooks of at least 2X strong? You have a long way to go to convince me. This manufacturer has never been on the top of my list of anything to purchase.
I tend to agree with the quality question. But the hook strength of 2x is just silly. It means nothing. VMC makes 1x strength hooks that are stronger then 3x eagle claw. No disrespect to eagle claw I use tons of their hooks and love them. But a rating means little. Just don't use cheap hooks. Look forward to more updates this summer from users.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2014, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Gary!

I'm looking forward to trying them out this year. Regarding the hook issue that folks have brought up, my presumption is the same mustad replacements that you'd use for the flicker shad would be a good candidate for the flicker minnow too - have you tested them rigged that way yet?

I guess the selection of pink lemonade and absence of Tennessee Shad is a coronation of sorts for Lake Erie, at least in terms of beating out Green Bay as the "walleye commerce capital of the world".

I am also surprised that "pink shine" didn't make the cut, based on TNB footage of Keith's testing on Lake Erie last May and the existence of "pink shine" flicker shads and flicker rigs.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:16 PM
Keeper

Gary, Could you please confirm what size Flicker Minnows are in this video where you talk about your tournament win in GB. They look maybe bigger than 9 cm? Thanks, my home waters are GB and I want to get the right size.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyredt1AKzc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2014, 03:28 PM
Wallhanger

Is the release date still JUNE for the general public? I'm ready to lay in bed with a couple of these Flicker Minnows... can't wait!

Sent from my HTC-PG762 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-16-2014, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

They were number 9's at Green Bay. June still is the date that is planned. In fact I've heard June 6th, but don't hold me to it. And James those KVD triple grips in the 58 model are the ones to use. Just like the Flicker Shad replacement hooks. I've used them and they work great on the Flicker Minnows. I wish a bunch of colors would have made it, but the good thing is that there are plans to expand the color line every year so I'd guess we'll see some of those colors in the long haul. Thanks for the interest guys!
Old 04-16-2014, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

Any testing done on trolling at higher speeds? Can you ramp them up over 2mph without them breaking loose like Reef Runners?

And we need a total glass one for customs too!
Old 04-17-2014, 07:50 AM
Wallhanger

Thanks for answering all the questions Gary. I really appreciate your efforts and willingness to respond.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:41 PM
Keeper

Default depth chart

some literature stating larger size will troll to 25ft........on mono bring us up to chart..........both sizes ,how far back....mono/fireline????? thanx....

Last edited by crankerGuy; 04-27-2014 at 12:53 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:46 AM
Minnow

Default Flicker minnow

Gary, I watched a show where you were using the flicker minnow, about three weeks ago, sorry I can't remember which show it was. After the end of the show I went directly to the Berkley website, to buy the lure and was told they would not be available until November! Today, I came on here and saw where you said they are now available. I went back to the Berkley site in order to buy two of every color of the size you were using and upon entering the site, I was greeted by a big advertisement stating the flicker minnow will be available in June. Now I am more than a little confused. Between you and Berkley, I really don't know when I'll be able to purchase this new walleye "killer". Can you shed some light on my predicament, as apparently no one actually knows when they will be available to the general public!
Old 04-29-2014, 11:02 AM
Minnow

Gary, I apologize for the last reply, I replied from the first page, where I saw that you said Berkley announced the flicker minnow. I hadn't gotten to the second page to see the other responses before replying. However, I am still a little confused. Anytime I have seen a company announce something new, it was available when they announced it. Why would you and Berkley announce the new bait before it was available to the general public? And why was I told they would not be available until November, if they are actually available in June? All I know for certain is, after watching you use them, I'm going to go banana's until I can get them. Living twenty minutes from Saginaw Bay or what we consider as, "the best Walleye fishing in the world", I can't wait to release the wrath of the flicker minnow on some huge "eyes". My tackle box will certainly have two of every color in both the 7's and 9's!