Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Frustrated! Save $1,100 with terrible local dealer or go farther and spend more? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 02-23-2021, 06:57 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post
That $1K is what, less than 2% of the purchase price? Spend the extra grand and buy from the dealer that wants your business.

40 minutes further away is nothing compared to the aggravation that you are setting yourself up for.

HRG
yep, i'd ditch em in a ny minute and that 5 seconds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2021, 07:07 PM
Wallhanger

I would go elsewhere.
Old 02-23-2021, 07:40 PM
Keeper

I would chalk it up to the sales person making an error or 2. Sounds like the GM has cleared it up. But you are also complaining that the GM won't lower his cost more but he is already $1100 lower than the competing dealer?

If you are unhappy with them then see if the other dealer will match pricing or at least meet you in the middle at $550.00 off.
Old 02-23-2021, 08:34 PM
welll

Factory owned store has limitations on what they can do. So do the independent franchise dealers. The diff is the indy dealer can hide a few things or tweak a few things to still look in compliance with "rules"

That said the factory store could care less where you bought it as it relates to service.
Old 02-23-2021, 10:37 PM
Wallhanger

On my first new RV, I tried to buy local, but the sales experience was bad, and price high. I bought from an out of state dealer 4 hours away, and saved a lot of $. But I had to go back to the local dealer for service, and as bad as the sales experience was, the service experience was worse. Maybe it wasn't because I didn't buy from them, but I sure got the feeling that was the reason.

When I bought my last new boat, I paid a little more to buy from the local dealer. And their support has been nothing short of fantastic. My experience is with a brand new boat, you will need warranty, and the servicing dealer is just as important as the brand of boat you buy. I'm a customer of the local dealer much more than I am the brand of boat I bought.

So, that is a long way of saying, if you buy from the further dealer, I'd be prepared to make the drive up there when it comes time for service as well.

Personally, I'd broaden my search for other brands of boats if you want to buy "local".
Old 02-24-2021, 11:17 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer92 View Post
My emotional response is not far from yours, thus the dilemma. My opposing logical argument is that the frustration has already happened, and that's a "sunk cost" in financial terms. The extra $1,100 comes out of my pocket book, so that hurts me and doesn't solve anything.

Maybe what I should have added is that the GM has been clear, attentive, followed up, etc. He just states he can't budge on the price because they are factory owned. If it were a buyers market maybe I'd have more pull and we could prove whether this statement is wholly true. Unfortunately the seller has the power these days.
Seller doesn't have the power until they have your money.
Old 02-24-2021, 12:46 PM
Wallhanger

Agree that trick.
Old 02-24-2021, 12:46 PM
Wallhanger

Agree Hat Trick
Old 02-24-2021, 01:10 PM
Minnow

Here's an update.

I went back to Westre's, the dealer further away, and told them I'd prefer to do business with them but they were $1,100 off. We worked on a few things to close the gap and I signed the paper work this morning.

Thanks for your suggestions everyone!
Old 02-24-2021, 01:11 PM
Wallhanger

So what did you end up with on a motor?