Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Driest Riding Boat: Multispecies Options - Page 6 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 11-22-2019, 12:55 PM
Slot Fish

Hi great post from the OP. Like the OP I am looking for a new boat and considering another 620, a 2060, or 208. I mainly fish SMB on Mille Lacs and if the weather permits fish out of the front. However when the waves come out and I am not comfortable in the front, I face the boat into the wind and use Spot Lock and fish from the rear. I have looked so far at a 620FS Cup and 2060. So far I am thinking another 620 due to the previous comments on the deck room with 620. Also I think the 620 is more refined and a little better in regards to compartment seals, locks, and other amenities. I actually like the side compartments on the 620 and since I am mostly alone and rarely ever troll don't miss the openness of the 2060 and the side rode storage. Also like the individual rod compartments on 620 versus the open wells on 2060. I am 6' 4" and cockpit leg room on 2060 felt cramped but did like the more open view looking forward with the 2060.

For the engine I am struggling. Current boat has 250HO G1 and kind of tired of the oil but has been a good motor for me. Truly like the 1st service at 300hr and being able to winterize while still in the water. Looking at the G2 and also ProXS. I am not into speed as I rarely go above 40 mph and rarely venture more than 5 miles from cabin. I do fish a lot though as I am retired and this might be my last boat. So wanting to do it right.

Any additional thoughts and the boat of choice and engine?

Oh and I was planning to go with a 72" Ulterra as current 60" is out of the water way to much. Any others that have gone to the 72" and any problems or concerns?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2019, 04:42 PM
Wallhanger

I have a Lund 219 and after owning 2 Warriors which were both great boats I stumbled on a great deal on my 219. I had to replace my 193 after it was totaled in an accident. I am not a fan of jump seats and wanted a bigger/longer rig so the Lund interested me over another Warrior. I can say that after 2 years now it exceeds all my expectations. It has a huge bow with lots of storage, great cockpit room with removable storage pods, flat dash for mounting electronics and a super ride that got even better when I added trim tabs. They made the ride/dryness even better. They are a definate plus for any boat. I run a 300hp Verado and can hit 60mph when solo. I see Juls also runs a 300hp motor and it is plenty of power. You can buy alot of rigging for the savings over a 350-400hp engine that might get you a few more mph. I usually travel at somewhere around 40mpg when moving spot to spot or bringing her home. I used to say you need to go ?? if your buddy can only go ? Past that now at 66...lol. Also you will not be disappointed in getting the 72" Ulterra. I switched mine out this year from a 60" for the same reasons you are asking about. Whatever great boat you decide on a 72" TM and trim tabs should be considered. Have fun, Peter
Old 11-25-2019, 05:25 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter8 View Post
I have a Lund 219 and after owning 2 Warriors which were both great boats I stumbled on a great deal on my 219. I had to replace my 193 after it was totaled in an accident. I am not a fan of jump seats and wanted a bigger/longer rig so the Lund interested me over another Warrior. I can say that after 2 years now it exceeds all my expectations. It has a huge bow with lots of storage, great cockpit room with removable storage pods, flat dash for mounting electronics and a super ride that got even better when I added trim tabs. They made the ride/dryness even better. They are a definate plus for any boat. I run a 300hp Verado and can hit 60mph when solo. I see Juls also runs a 300hp motor and it is plenty of power. You can buy alot of rigging for the savings over a 350-400hp engine that might get you a few more mph. I usually travel at somewhere around 40mpg when moving spot to spot or bringing her home. I used to say you need to go ?? if your buddy can only go ? Past that now at 66...lol. Also you will not be disappointed in getting the 72" Ulterra. I switched mine out this year from a 60" for the same reasons you are asking about. Whatever great boat you decide on a 72" TM and trim tabs should be considered. Have fun, Peter
I think this is a great summation HP trade-off's. I have a 202GL and at the end of the day I had some early performance issue and through tons of research I found the high bow and porpoising I was experiencing was due to the weight on the back of the boat. The 250 I found would have been a minimal MPH difference but would have resulted in less weight and no porpoising at a big $$$ savings. The manufacturers want us to be driven by the HP however were fishing not boat racing and a few miles per hour more is not the most important factor. If we think we have to beat the storm we may want to ask if we should be out there or should we get a bigger boat.

I raised my engine changed my prop and the change was dramatic, now I am adding zip wake tabs.

Happy Fishing
Humminbird Helix G2 x 1
Talon
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Old 11-27-2019, 03:05 PM
Wallhanger

I have owned two Lund 219s and a 202, and commonly fish large windy reservoirs in Montana. As mentioned earlier, the layout is awesome and the ride is superb. They are as dry as any comparable sized boats It's impressive watching other 219s going through rough water compared to other brands. The front deck is huge, with room for two guys to cast. I can easily lay 7' rods on the front deck of my 219. They do not spear waves....running on plane, trolling or drifting. From what you are describing, I really think you should check out a 219 during your search. I think you might really like the layout. I know you would like the ride, especially in rough water.