Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Underwater camera's for prefishing? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Tournament Message Board

Old 03-01-2002, 05:19 PM
Minnow

Default Underwater camera's for prefishing?

Do you use underwater camera's to scout a lake during pre fishing for a tournament? What camera do you use? What features do you like? dislike? What key things do you try to learn with them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2002, 10:42 PM
Minnow

Default RE: Underwater camera's for prefishing?

I use a Outdoor Viewing System, OVS, camera for prefishing. The 400 series works great for me. The main thing I use it for is seeing the bottom structure and maybe a look at some of the bait fish present. If I mark some fish and can't get them to go, I may try and sneak a look at them to make sure they are walleyes. I've marked some big fish on my locator in the past only to find out they were catfish.A camera is a great tool.
Old 03-05-2002, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

Open water use of the camera is strickly limited to "looking/learning" and not fishing, in most situations. I have used the Aqua View for five years during pre-fishing for the answers already given. Being able to identify "non biters" can settle the nerves for sure. It's very hard to maneuver the camera and hold a fishing rod/control boat, however. The Aqua View holds up well under all the conditions I have put it through while pre-fishing in all sorts of weather.
Steve Fellegy #49
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about the things that matter. MLK
sf1954@embarqmail.com or 651-270-3383 cell#
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2002, 07:56 PM
Wallhanger

A simple question,are you alowed to use a camera during a tourney?Thank's in advance Steve.
Old 03-11-2002, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

I don't recall being told "NO". But I haven't reviewed RCL/PWT rules this year, 2002. You always should ask "rules" questions directly to the director since rumors or inaccurate info can cost many $$$$
Steve Fellegy #49
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about the things that matter. MLK
Old 03-12-2002, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

Steve, Do you have additional weight on the camera to cover more ground? Mine is pretty heavy, but there is no way that I can idle around with the motor in gear and keep the camera down.
Old 03-15-2002, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

I put two 6oz. bell sinkers along with the keel type weight that comes with the camera and then, with the fin attached, can go about two miles per hour and keep it down pretty good. But I rarely do this until I see something "interesting" on my graph. Too much distraction with the camera.
Steve Fellegy #49