Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Took a 479 mile trip to run a 'glas boat - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 10-13-2019, 10:26 AM
Wallhanger

Default Took a 479 mile trip to run a 'glas boat

I started the last Crestliner post and went to sea trial a 2013 Ranger Angler 1860vs out of Marblehead/Port Clinton on Saturday. The weather was just like I ordered it. 15 knot winds and 2-3' seas. The owner took me out of Mazuriks Launch and within 20 yards of out of the breakwall a wave hit the left front of the boat and the water covered me and the windshield! Wait-this is a Ranger-water is afraid to splash into the boat!! The owner took me west-staying in the wind blocked bay and the boat/engine ran great in a walleye chop-coming to the end of the point-instead of turning right and heading out into open water-the owner turned the boat around and ran back in the wind restricted inner bay. I asked to take the helm and immediately turned north towards Kelleys ( i guess) where you can see the waves building. The glove box and dash panels were so tall and the windshield was so low that you had 4" of windshield to look thru-once I hit the rougher water I slowed the boat down-the nose came up and I had no vision of the water. Was the water slashing into the boat-not necessarily on the windshield-but it was running down down the gunnels into the cockpit. I turned the boat around into following seas and asked to put the 9.9 down-shut down the 150 and act like I was trolling. The owner lowered the Yammy 9.9 (electric trim-nice) and the cowling was almost under water-not nice. We catch wave after wave coming into the splashwell-until one comes over the splashwell and into the cockpit (Kliph-into the cockpit!!!) NEVER ON MY CRESTLINER!!!). We brought the boat back in and I drove back home (479 miles) without a Ranger.
Walteye
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2019, 11:26 AM
Wallhanger

Location: Land of 10,000 lakes, even more taxes and the state where the police are handcuffed.

You are set on your Crestliner so go buy one.
Old 10-13-2019, 11:33 AM
Wallhanger

I fished Winnebago, Green Bay, Erie, and Bay of Quinte, out if a 17ft Crestliner Sport Angler and never took a wave over the bow or the back of the boat. Felt perfectly safe in it. I've got wet in Ranger, Yarcraft, and Lund. Alot of it is in how you drive the boat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2019, 11:39 AM
Wallhanger

Default Took 479 mile trip to run a glass boat

I have 2012 1850 and have done Erie several times over the last 7 yrs. I have never taken one over the bow when running my 150, but I never go out if waves in the 4 ft range and larger. I troll with my 9.9 and going in the wind I have taken water over the bow. Not sure what type of windshield he has, my is the full windshield not screens.

It was smart of you to take the boat out, I had buyer buy mine from Minnesota without testing it. After he paid me, he went to hook up boat, he said I didn't realize the engine was long shank. He had brand new 4 stroke 4 low shank engine to put on his new ride. He said dont worry I will figure it out. Mine was a 150 carb Johnson that was flawless so not sure what he ended up doing.

I passed up making a 4.5 hour drive to look and test drive new boat, dealer said no water test if I dont buy it. I stayed at home and will wait until next June to order 2021 at 2019 prices or keep my 2012 Ranger 1850 with 150 4 stroke Yamaha, best outfit I have owned over the last 40 years.
Old 10-14-2019, 04:37 AM
Wallhanger

You should try trolling more often.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:13 AM
Wallhanger

I once took a crestliner on a test drive and it sank. Talk about wet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-2019, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walteye View Post
I started the last Crestliner post and went to sea trial a 2013 Ranger Angler 1860vs out of Marblehead/Port Clinton on Saturday. The weather was just like I ordered it. 15 knot winds and 2-3' seas. The owner took me out of Mazuriks Launch and within 20 yards of out of the breakwall a wave hit the left front of the boat and the water covered me and the windshield! Wait-this is a Ranger-water is afraid to splash into the boat!! The owner took me west-staying in the wind blocked bay and the boat/engine ran great in a walleye chop-coming to the end of the point-instead of turning right and heading out into open water-the owner turned the boat around and ran back in the wind restricted inner bay. I asked to take the helm and immediately turned north towards Kelleys ( i guess) where you can see the waves building. The glove box and dash panels were so tall and the windshield was so low that you had 4" of windshield to look thru-once I hit the rougher water I slowed the boat down-the nose came up and I had no vision of the water. Was the water slashing into the boat-not necessarily on the windshield-but it was running down down the gunnels into the cockpit. I turned the boat around into following seas and asked to put the 9.9 down-shut down the 150 and act like I was trolling. The owner lowered the Yammy 9.9 (electric trim-nice) and the cowling was almost under water-not nice. We catch wave after wave coming into the splashwell-until one comes over the splashwell and into the cockpit (Kliph-into the cockpit!!!) NEVER ON MY CRESTLINER!!!). We brought the boat back in and I drove back home (479 miles) without a Ranger.
Walteye

Saturday there was a small craft warning on erie. I'm not sure what you expected from the boat in that kind of weather.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:36 AM
Wallhanger

I am glad you went! This is not a statement about the boat you drove. A lot of us stare at boats new and used on a computer screen that are far away and wonder how they perform. Two weekends ago I drove from Omaha to Red Wing, Minnesota for a ride in drive in Warrior and Ranger Boats. It answered a lot of questions in my mind.
Old 10-15-2019, 10:23 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus Dog View Post
I am glad you went! This is not a statement about the boat you drove. A lot of us stare at boats new and used on a computer screen that are far away and wonder how they perform. Two weekends ago I drove from Omaha to Red Wing, Minnesota for a ride in drive in Warrior and Ranger Boats. It answered a lot of questions in my mind.
Well, what did you think? I'm very interested to know. PM me if you want. Thanks in advance!
Old 10-15-2019, 10:42 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodman View Post
You should try trolling more often.