Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Future Of Tournament Angling - Page 12 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Tournament Message Board

Old 12-06-2012, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

Burr,

Say you could fill a 100 boat field with a $4000.00 dollar entry. Could you put a tournament of this size on for $100,00 dollars? This would leave $300,000 for payouts. Seems like a lot of money left for the anglers if this could be done. I don't know, I'm just wondering.

With the economy like it is, I like Cabelas idea of only 3 qualifying tournaments. I personally like the idea of higher entries, higher payouts and fewer qualifying tournaments. Travel,motels,and eating are a big expense now days, and I would rather fish for more, and travel less.

If I lived in Port Clinton I might think differently. Actually I know I would ...I would'nt even worry about tournaments until I got my fill of seeing yellow boards just disappear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texeye View Post
Burr,

Say you could fill a 100 boat field with a $4000.00 dollar entry. Could you put a tournament of this size on for $100,00 dollars? This would leave $300,000 for payouts. Seems like a lot of money left for the anglers if this could be done. I don't know, I'm just wondering.

With the economy like it is, I like Cabelas idea of only 3 qualifying tournaments. I personally like the idea of higher entries, higher payouts and fewer qualifying tournaments. Travel,motels,and eating are a big expense now days, and I would rather fish for more, and travel less.

If I lived in Port Clinton I might think differently. Actually I know I would ...I would'nt even worry about tournaments until I got my fill of seeing yellow boards just disappear.
I tell ya what, I'll plug the numbers into a spreadsheet, and see how it looks. Then I'll create a couple of options with the same money.

But - you are correct. First you have to define entry, with a given number of entrants. That gives you a total entry fee amount - from that determine what payout will be - and then distribute it.

I tell you what I think will happen with your numbers - with 100 boats fishing - it will look great. But when you only get 50 boats fishing - and you adjust the numbers - it won't look so good. $40,000 to win, with a $4000 entry fee, might sound good. but winning $12,000 with a $4000 etnry fee doesn't sound so good. That's where tournament field sizes have changed the game. It's different now. We used to fill 120 boat fields, year after year. Last year we increased payout 30% - and had our smallest field in over a decade.

I'm kicking around a model that defines the payout - so the people entering always know the reward they are fishing for. The amount paid out won't change because 50 teams enter a tournament planned for 100.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

Burr,

I know where you are coming from...even our little tournaments are getting smaller and smaller.

It would be nice if a tournament trail or series would come out with a payout based on what we discussed and set the preliminary dates and locations by the end of, say December. Then make the entry deadline for the end of February and if the tournament can't draw the set amount of boats it would be called off.

It is a little discouraging, like you say, to enter a tournament thinking 50 plus boats will show and end up with only 35. Your idea of knowing payouts regardless of the field size may be a pretty good idea. When only a few show up, there is a lot of difference in 80% payout and guaranteed money.

We probably got this thread off track a little, but filling up tournaments is a pretty big deal.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:25 PM
Wallhanger

Default Not OFF Track

Not at all off track your speaking to the future...............and that is what this post is about....thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texeye View Post
Burr,

I know where you are coming from...even our little tournaments are getting smaller and smaller.

It would be nice if a tournament trail or series would come out with a payout based on what we discussed and set the preliminary dates and locations by the end of, say December. Then make the entry deadline for the end of February and if the tournament can't draw the set amount of boats it would be called off.

It is a little discouraging, like you say, to enter a tournament thinking 50 plus boats will show and end up with only 35. Your idea of knowing payouts regardless of the field size may be a pretty good idea. When only a few show up, there is a lot of difference in 80% payout and guaranteed money.

We probably got this thread off track a little, but filling up tournaments is a pretty big deal.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:29 PM
Wallhanger

I still love watching tournaments on TV, and I think Steve Fellegy's point about growing the fan base is right on the point. I have twin boys, ages nine, that love tournament fishing, and have hereos like Tommy Skarlis. I'll bet though that you'd be hard pressed to find any other nine year olds in their school that know much about tournament fishing. That is where in lies the problem. How do we get young people to aspire to become pros like their hero's. Someone has to figure out a way to reach these kids. You've got people pushing all kinds of other sports on kids, why not introducing them to fishing in the schools.

My boys have a cousin who plays basketball, bowling, football, in organized leagues. Thats all fine and good. My boys fish Lunds AYA tournaments, and fish for fun all summer long. Who is going to grow up being able to participate in their sport the longest? The kid who plays basketball, etc. or the kids who grow up hunting and fishing?

Just a thought.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:13 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhowellsfishing View Post
I still love watching tournaments on TV, and I think Steve Fellegy's point about growing the fan base is right on the point. I have twin boys, ages nine, that love tournament fishing, and have hereos like Tommy Skarlis. I'll bet though that you'd be hard pressed to find any other nine year olds in their school that know much about tournament fishing. That is where in lies the problem. How do we get young people to aspire to become pros like their hero's. Someone has to figure out a way to reach these kids. You've got people pushing all kinds of other sports on kids, why not introducing them to fishing in the schools.

My boys have a cousin who plays basketball, bowling, football, in organized leagues. Thats all fine and good. My boys fish Lunds AYA tournaments, and fish for fun all summer long. Who is going to grow up being able to participate in their sport the longest? The kid who plays basketball, etc. or the kids who grow up hunting and fishing?

Just a thought.
You just might be surprised...... my son played A LOT of baseball, and travelled all over the US doing it as a young teen. Now, at 19, he has just signed up to fish the Walmart BFL Illini division.

Granted, he and I fished when it was possible, and even managed to win an AYA tournament in 2010, but I believe that since he wasn't able to fish as much before, now that he has decided that baseball isn't the career path that he wants to pursue, he is making up for the years that he missed. Quite frankly, I'm very excited for him, but I don't know where I went wrong......... Bass?

Oh well, it could be worse.......
Old 12-12-2012, 05:33 PM
Wallhanger

I think thats so cool. You must be very proud! Bass...well thats where the money is. Tell him good luck with his fishing.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:39 PM
Wallhanger

Just a side note. When did everything get priced out of the average guys reach? I bought the best walleye rig Lund made in 2001. To replace it ten years later would cost triple what I paid. Wish my wages would have tripled.

Lund 2010 Pro Guide..Merc 175 ProXS...Trailer.....$38,000
Lowrance 10" screen $3000

Thats a big part of why I'm not fishing tournaments.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:03 PM
Wallhanger

Default Ditto

I'm in the proverbial "same boat as you," Tom.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:12 AM
Minnow

As someone who doesn't tournament fish but does walleye fish, I'll offer this.

1. I live near very good walleye water, I'm vaguely aware that there have been walleye tournaments on these waters. Promotion has been almost non-existent to the non, hardcore tournament fishing enthusiast.

2. BASS tournaments have been held on the same water. Was well aware due to promotion and I am NOT a bass fisherman. My fishing is confined to pike, walleye, and steelhead on the fly. Turn out was amazing - had to walk over a mile from where I parked to the dock to watch and there were crowds doing it. Was in all the papers and on TV.

3. I guess the question of "growth" would apply to me as a recreational angler - what does it take to get me to enter a tournament? I don't know. I know I don't have the skill/equipment to compete so I don't. The 18' 150hp purchase is a step up from the 16' 40hp my brother and I share now and it's being considered currently. The cost to be competitive at the current tour level is prohibitive right now for people who want to compete but not make a living off it.

I know I would enter if there is some sort of tiered set up. I can go shoot local sporting clays tournaments for a modest entry fee and win modest prizes. I can also spend more money and enter world championships or national championship level tournaments if I feel I am up to it and the ROI is there for my entry fee.

Reading this thread - I don't know if that exists for walleye. Where's the tournament I can enter for 150 bucks for a single day deal where all I might win is say a new rod, some lures or something?

Provide a ladder for me to climb, a way for me to get hooked on the tournament lifestyle.

Look, I'm going fishing anyway, why not entice me with a reasonable entry for smaller/reasonable prizes as icing on the cake? If I'm going to go out on a Saturday and hit the Bay for the day I'm much more likely to kick in 100 for a local tournament/entry as a side bet than I am 1500 or 4000. Look at the local golf scrambles for ideas. 360 bucks for a foursome for the day, you get a meal and a drawing. Mostly filled by people who are going to golf anyway that day and it's a kicker on the side. Look at your local DU or TU dinners. 80 bucks for dinner but a chance to maybe win a shotgun or some dekes. There has to be stepping stones for guys to get there. You will always have the cadillac tours with cadillac fishermen but to make them more popular and to keep replenishing those participants - you need grass roots, semi-pro or enthusiast level tournaments and clubs.

To me, the recreational angler the idea of making a living off it isn't there, no desire but I would think that it could be fostered in people if they had that one little taste. IMO. Provide the smaller taste to get someone to invest more, jump up in participation. Where else is the angler going to develop the resume to land the sponsors to make the larger/high value tour?