Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
AIM 2009 Tournament Format - Page 5 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Tournament Message Board

Old 12-07-2008, 08:22 PM
Slot Fish

Default Response to recent news

If you read the all post you will see that the comments are linked back to AIMs press annoucement. Geez
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2008, 10:14 PM
Charter Member

I like the idea of who catches the biggest fish wins but like others I don't see the feasibility of it. I looked at, and have been in a lot of tournaments where the top guy might win by a pound or pounds but often the top ten or twenty are sometimes in the hundredths of pounds. I don't think measuring will ever be equal, as others have stated.Looks like there might be a lot of ties to decide. Many times tournament pros run miles because the same length of fish weighs more at one end of the system than the other. There may be provisions for this as we don't know all the details as of yet. I do see it taking much more time and causing many more discrepancies. The more variables the more room for mistakes in my opinion. I like the idea, but is it practical in the heat of competition and in foul weather?

One point on the amateur side worth noting. Motel reservations sometimes cannot be cancelled so if you don't get drawn for the third day you will lose your room money or have to make other plans. If it is about lowering the costs then this could be a snag for some. As I read it, the ten are drawn at the rules meeting so you would not know in advance.

I wish them the best and I may try them out. I enjoyed meeting some of these guys.

Have a good one.
Texeye
Old 12-08-2008, 09:22 AM
loner

I think the vast majority of us weekend anglers realize that a change from the PWT model was needed. We want AIM to succeed with something fresh, new and innovative. Are the folks at AIM preparing an on-the-water demo/promo of this new format? I mean yes we all know how to measure a fish, but I'm a very visual person and sometimes I find it hard to grasp another person's concept without seeing it first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2008, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

Been to a Musky weigh-in? Not very stimulating.

RCL/FLW got away from the 2 day co-angler format. When you have a blow day it reduces the co-anglers to a one day fishing experience. I remember one tourney on Erie where this happened. Many folks spent lots of cash coming from near and far. Left a bad taste in their mouths a near mutiny from both Co's and Pro's. They changed that format real quick.

Tourney fisherman are no different than the rest of our population. We also have the "Good, Bad and the Ugly".

Hope AIM works it out. There are always a few bumps on the road to success. It's how we deal with adversity that sets successful ventures apart from the also ran. I'm sure they are flexible and will work things out.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:14 PM
Slot Fish

Default Non-emotional Co-Angler Response

Wow, there are a lot of emotions running thru this thread. I would like to add my 2 cents worth as a co-angler.

1) First and foremost, I believe that AIM is following the PWT format in regard to the co-anglers. I keep seeing statements that $250 is a great deal for 2 days with a pro. It is indeed, and if I want to hire a pro to take me around a lake and fish, I will do just that. BUT AS A CO-ANGLER, I AM PAYING AN ENTRY FEE TO COMPETE IN A FISHING TOURNAMENT. I am not looking for ONLY a learning experience. If I were, I would find the person I wish to learn from, pay him/her and know that I will get the number of days I pay for (not miss any days for bad weather as you can in a tournament) with the person I want to fish with. Again, I AM PAYING AN ENTRY FEE TO COMPETE. The AIM format provides me ZERO incentive. It also does nothing in the way of promoting the sport to NEW anglers. As a co-angler, I would not even feel like a participant. I would feel like I am paying to be a boat monitor. The responses to AIM's press release among co-anglers tells me that before they went this route, they should have talked to a few of us to find out the reasons we fish tournaments as co-anglers as opposed to hiring a guide. Two completely different purchases with completely different purposes.

2) If I want to buy a $250 CHANCE at fishing on day 3.........well I don't want to. I want to earn my chance. Co-anglers take enough of a chance with the "luck of the draw" on who they fish with each day. I am not bashing the pro's with that statement. My day 2 pro might have had a great day on day 1, but might have a bad day when I fish with him/her. That is the luck of the draw, but if I manage to help all my pro's out and I finish in the top 10 with my weight, I don't want that thrown out the window and have my participation in day 3 be random.

3) Random drawings for prizes and for participation in day 3 cannot possibly make a pro feel good about the caliber of co-angler he/she will get. The co-angler will have no incentive to help the pro.

4) As noted by many co-anglers, there is much more than $250 tied up in each tournament. Yet, WE ARE THE CONSUMER HERE! If Ford Motor Company wants me to pay $25,000 for one of their products, but they will not acknowlege my right to fair customer service because they are too busy catering to the pro race car driver because his product cost more than mine - DO YOU THINK I WOULD BUY THEIR PRODUCT? NO! And AIM (or any other walleye tournament circuit) must understand that co-anglers have no desire to simply add to the pro's payout, with no payout to the co-anglers. The majority of us didn't like that aspect of the PWT and are not going to like it any better now.

5) I would think that sponsors are looking for the best way to spend their advertising dollars but in this format, it appears that the bulk of the sponsor dollars will go to the pro's prize money, running the company, and then lastly there will be very little spent toward prizes for the co-anglers. They won't need to spend much as they can just give product to be given to the co-anglers.

This long-winded post boils down to this. It does not appear to me that AIM knows what the co-angler wants. Either that, or they don't care. Either way, I don't think it will benefit AIM in the long run.

Robin Beuthin
Old 12-09-2008, 12:03 PM
Brad b unlogged

Fishing a tournament as a co-angler IS a luck of the draw proposition. There is no more skill involved in jumping into a boat with an angler that is on fish than jumping into a boat with an angler that is NOT on fish. My 13 year old daughter can jig fish as well as many guys I know that fish tournaments and she follows directions a LOT better. What better way to get NEW people involved with tournament angling than to tell them up front that their skills (whether the be novice or advanced) won't make a difference - jump in the boat and see what its about.

I don't understand the aversion to declaring a winner of a tournament based on the length of the fish rather than the weight. That is a GREAT concept. No more tough decisions on which fish to keep - just snap a photo and slide them back into the water. If the anglers can't take a decent photo fo the fish, then the fish doens't get counted - seems pretty simply to me.

Would I like to hear more about when/where the AIM events are going to use the new things they have talked about and how they are going to implement them? Sure I would. But as I said before, could you at least wait until they tell you how they are going to implement these things and at which events before you decide they won't work? I'm not the most open minded guy in the world, but the level of criticism from the masses on everything that AIM had done is out of line IMO. They have invested a lot of their OWN money to try to make tournament walleye fishing better - not just sit at their keyboard and second guess everything someone else trys to do.

AIM, if your listening, THANK YOU for thinking outside of the box and trying to grow our sport. If you plan an event that fits my schedule, I will fish it as a CO.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:35 PM
WalleyeWiz(UL)

Default Lake Erie

If they ever fish Lake Erie in April for one of these tournaments the weight calculations can be a nightmare.In April here on Erie you catch both prespawn and post spawn fish during that time frame.

How would it be fair to say a 28 inch pre spawn is the same weight as a 28 inch post spawn fish.The eggs alone can weigh an extra 2-4 lbs. A 5 fish limit of those size fish are common here for those tournaments.Can`t see how people are going to happy with just saying a 28 inch fish weights say 8 lbs if it really weighs 11lbs.

And no I will not be fishing these tournaments. And yes I hope AIM does work out for the fishermen involed in it.
Capt`n Dwayne
Old 12-09-2008, 03:42 PM
KTurner UL

Default Cap't, I need to know

Cap't - tell me how it takes more "talent" to catch that pre-spawn versus the post-spawn? I need to know this! I might even change my plans and fish all the FLW and AIM events if you let me in on your secret!

This rule simply eliminates the luck factor that wins way too many tournaments...... The guy/gal that is on the best fish for 3 days wins...... Pretty hard concept for most anglers to swallow according to the posts lately. But then again maybe it's true that most people would rather be lucky then good......
Old 12-09-2008, 04:12 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalleyeWiz(UL) View Post
If they ever fish Lake Erie in April for one of these tournaments the weight calculations can be a nightmare.In April here on Erie you catch both prespawn and post spawn fish during that time frame.

How would it be fair to say a 28 inch pre spawn is the same weight as a 28 inch post spawn fish.The eggs alone can weigh an extra 2-4 lbs. A 5 fish limit of those size fish are common here for those tournaments.Can`t see how people are going to happy with just saying a 28 inch fish weights say 8 lbs if it really weighs 11lbs.

And no I will not be fishing these tournaments. And yes I hope AIM does work out for the fishermen involed in it.
Capt`n Dwayne

Yeah I thought about that too but then again on the other hand, ANYONE who catches a 28 incher is going to have the same weight as the next guy who catches a 28 incher and in April on Erie you do catch both so it equals out, you almost have to forget about any other tourney's or past tourney and just fish for big fish like you normally would but just leave the weight aspect out of it and tell yourself it's all about the length and only be worried about length.

I fished a length tourney on Erie this year and took 2nd but my basket was defintely heavier, was I mad it was a length tourney and not weight...not really, I should have caught a super model and the tourney would have been mine to win.

Hail the looooong eye balls, super model will be welcome in AIM events.

Your double 14's would make me cry though LOL.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:26 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Gonefishin View Post
Yeah I thought about that too but then again on the other hand, ANYONE who catches a 28 incher is going to have the same weight as the next guy who catches a 28 incher and in April on Erie you do catch both so it equals out, you almost have to forget about any other tourney's or past tourney and just fish for big fish like you normally would but just leave the weight aspect out of it and tell yourself it's all about the length and only be worried about length.

I fished a length tourney on Erie this year and took 2nd but my basket was defintely heavier, was I mad it was a length tourney and not weight...not really, I should have caught a super model and the tourney would have been mine to win.

Hail the looooong eye balls, super model will be welcome in AIM events.

Your double 14's would make me cry though LOL.
No different than being Mille Lacs and catching a 27" that weighs 8lbs and throwing it back and watching the boat next to you catch a 28 1/8" that weighs 7.15lbs and is legal

It's also not a lot different than being on Mille Lacs and catching two dozen 25'ers and coming in with a zero to watch a guy weigh 5 19'ers for what two of yours weighed