Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Boo's good and bad day - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 07-08-2013, 09:48 AM
Wallhanger

Default Boo's good and bad day

Took my wife and the Boo to the reservoir for some fishing and swimming. Fishing was good-the weather was hot and we beached the boat and did some swimming. Boo had a blast chasing after the ball-paddling in water above his head and we all were beat coming off the reservoir. Here's the crummy ending to a great day....
I pulled the boat out of the water and pulled to an area out of the way to take the coolers out-etc. My wife hooked Boo's leash to one of the cleats when a boxer/pit bull style dog comes running up to Boo and attacks him! The dog grabs Boo's neck-my wife is screaming and I jump out of the boat-my wife sticks her hand in the other dog's mouth and I punt the dog off Boo. The woman owner comes running over-yelling at ME cause I was flipping out! Then the husband comes over and threatens my life-cause I said they get that dog out of there now or I fillet it.
Thank God my wife was not bit or Boo hurt. About a dozen people saw what happened and came over to see if we were all right.
Walteye
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130706_122303.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	42418  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2013, 09:58 AM
Slot Fish

Glad it turned out ok. Could have been much worse.

People that refuse to keep their dog on a leash get zero sympathy from me. I like dogs, but sadly am very allergic. I have had to get between my wife and at least 3 dogs that have charged us while going for a walk through our sub. I carry a rather large knife. It has never come to that and I hope it never does, but I nor my wife/kids/grandkids will ever be a victim of a neglegent dog owner.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:18 AM
Wallhanger

The woman was trying to show me that the leash broke-but that isn't the point. Having a vicious dog that attacks another dog was my flipping out point. My dog is not trained that way but I am always worried anyway-obviously that dog was trained to attack-when Boo saw the other dog running over his tail was wagging a mile a minute-"Hey a new Friend!!!".
And when the other guy was in my face asking me "How long I planned to live"-yeah-that's no good......
Walteye
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2013, 10:38 AM
Wallhanger

I had a similar incident. Pulled the boat up to the beach at a local island with my husky on the bow. Some guy's lab running loose came over and was trying to attack my dog on my brand new boat and scratching the heck out of the paint. My dog just sat there. His dog was vicious about it. The owner and his buddies sat there laughing and thought it was funny as ****, so I grabbed his dog by the throat and told him to come get his dog. That got the owner pretty PO'd, and by now the dog was now trying to maul me. Owner just sat there at a distance running his mouth and issuing threats, so I gave him one last chance to come get his dog. He didn't and hisdog was still trying to attack me, so I stood up on the bow with his dog by the throat still and body slammed it from about 10 feet in the air onto the beach. Owner had quite a bit more to say, but him and his dog stayed on that side of the beach the rest of the time!
Old 07-08-2013, 10:39 AM
Slot Fish

Ya I hear ya, but a broken leash is just a poor excuse. Most people don't train their dogs past sit and stay. Buy a new $20 leash and $10 collar every year.

Had it happen this weekend when the grandkids took their dog for a walk and the metal "D" ring that the leash attaches to opened off the collar and the dog charged at me...fortunately their dog is a 3lb chihuahua. I swear it is the dog off the Taco Bell commercials. I gave the kids $20 and drove them to the pet store....
Old 07-08-2013, 11:23 AM
Wallhanger

I wouldn't have hesitated to kick the **** out of that dog or worse. The same helping to the loud mouth owner as well who was threatening your life.
Minn Kota Powerdrive V2 w/co-pilot
Scotty 1101 Depthmaster electric downriggers
Humminbird 788CI Combo
Old 07-08-2013, 11:53 AM
Slot Fish

Default 2 wrongs

[me, so I stood up on the bow with his dog by the throat still and body slammed it from about 10 feet in the air onto the beach. Owner had quite a bit more to say, but him and his dog stayed on that side of the beach the rest of the time![/QUOTE]

I subscribe to the notion that there are very few dumb or mean dogs. More often it's dumb and or mean owners of dogs that are the issue. Although I firmly believe it's acceptable to protect ones self and property in the event of a dog attack I find it troubling anyone would brag about taking this sort of action.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:20 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by walteye View Post
...And when the other guy was in my face asking me "How long I planned to live"-yeah-that's no good....
Quite a long and fruit life, especially when asking Mr. Glock his opinion on the matter...
Old 07-08-2013, 12:23 PM
Dog guy

Default dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder1 View Post
[me, so I stood up on the bow with his dog by the throat still and body slammed it from about 10 feet in the air onto the beach. Owner had quite a bit more to say, but him and his dog stayed on that side of the beach the rest of the time!

I subscribe to the notion that there are very few dumb or mean dogs. More often it's dumb and or mean owners of dogs that are the issue. Although I firmly believe it's acceptable to protect ones self and property in the event of a dog attack I find it troubling anyone would brag about taking this sort of action.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you Grinder, and it's not a notion, it's true. But, on this site lots of tough guys have bragged about what they did, or will do to their neighbor's dog, proudly. Kick, punt, shoot, etc. real life tough guys. Very few ever mention what they did to deal with the owner and the issue at hand.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:31 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder1 View Post
[me, so I stood up on the bow with his dog by the throat still and body slammed it from about 10 feet in the air onto the beach. Owner had quite a bit more to say, but him and his dog stayed on that side of the beach the rest of the time!

I subscribe to the notion that there are very few dumb or mean dogs. More often it's dumb and or mean owners of dogs that are the issue. Although I firmly believe it's acceptable to protect ones self and property in the event of a dog attack I find it troubling anyone would brag about taking this sort of action.
It's called necessary force for self defense, and successful. Would you have preferred me letting the dog go to bite me, which he was already trying to do? Or do I just let it attack my dog and scratch the crap out of my brand new boat like it had already done? Pretty hard for you to comment and analyze the situation without even being there! The owner had more than enough opportunities to come grab his dog and walk it away without further incident, but chose to stand there drunk with his buddies laughing about it and threatening me with physical harm. I could have just as easily pulled the knife out of my pocket and stabbed the dog, completely legally justified, if that makes you feel any better. Don't worry, doggie was fine and just got the wind knocked out of it and ran away with it's tail tucked. I think the owners ego took the worst of it!