Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
very old fuel - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 10-04-2015, 09:53 PM
Charter Member

Default very old fuel

A few days ago I purchased a 14 year old boat in cherry condition. The boat has not been used in about 5 years.
I drained 3.5 gallons of old fuel from the tank, treated new fuel with Sea Foam and put 4 gallons back into the tank. I could not get fuel to the motor by squeezing the primer build. I replaced the fuel line where it came out of thru the splash well and installed a new primer bulb. I cleaned the piece that attached the fuel line to the motor. I was surprised how much actual junk came out of that piece. Eventually I got it cleaned and the problem was solved.

Previously I had checked the lower unit lube (looked like new), tilt and trim fluid was full, oil reservoir was full, of the two batteries, one was bad and it was replaced. It will get new tires in a few days and the second battery will be replaced.

The 25 HP Merc four stroke started after a few tries and ran great.

Tomorrow it goes into the water for a test run. I intend to use it a couple of times this month then I will winterize the motor and have it ready for Florida about the middle of February.

Except for the nasty old fuel that had left some deposits that looked the color of varnish and came off things looking like a thin layer of silicone caulk or small pieces of chipped off varnish everything looked good.

By the way, a local oil company that accepts used oil told me I could put the old gasoline right into the tank where people deposit their old oil. I did not think it would be that easy to get rid of 3.5 gallons of old gasoline.

I am hoping there will be no surprised from deposits in the fuel tank or hoses from the tank to the splash well.

Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2015, 10:43 PM
Wallhanger

A suggestion: don't go too far from shore or ideally too far from your trailer. Murphy's Law says you will have trouble at the worst possible time.
Old 10-04-2015, 11:54 PM
Wallhanger

Good read on fuel line.

http://www.bbcboards.net/mercury-3-l...tem-first.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2015, 11:34 PM
Charter Member

I tested the boat on the water today and for the first 15 minutes it looked like everything was going to be OK. Then the RPM's dropped and it acted like there was a fuel restriction. I put it back on the trailer and thought I would work on it some more.

Then I read the attachment provided by rks. Wish I had seen it first. I think I will take it in to the repair shop and have everything replaced from the tank to the motor.

Jack
Old 10-06-2015, 04:53 PM
Wallhanger

Did you check the screen on the fuel pick-up in the tank?
Old 10-06-2015, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

Spurs,thanks for the suggestion but I too old to take on much of a project myself. I don't know everything that should be done but I will talk it over with a service shop tomorrow. I will certainly ask if deposits could be left in the fuel tank and what is the best way to resolve that issue. Without some reliable input I probably will consider having the fuel tank cleaned or replaced as well as everything else between the tank and the motor.

This rig looks brand new but I guess it won't be much of a bargain I purchased by the time this is resolved.

Jack