Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Trim not working causing engine failure - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 06-05-2016, 06:11 PM
Minnow

Default Trim not working causing engine failure

I have a 1990 GODFREY runabout with a six cyclinder cobra , start first time since last year everything seem to work especially the trim button on the throttle handle. Got to the lake and everything seem to work especially the trim got going and it seemed that the trim was up I pushed the e trim button and the engine felt like it shut off . I let go and it stayed running I tried again same so I put it in neutral and tried again to start the engine ,died and would not start . It acted like a dead battery, however all over items worked except the trim and starter. I heard something buzzing when I hit the trim but it was not the hydraulics. Does anyone have an idea on what might be happening?

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2016, 06:32 PM
Wallhanger

Boy that sure sounds like a fuse or a short in there somewhere... or just a dead battery.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:49 AM
Wallhanger

I agree with kevin. sounds like you may have a wire going to you tilt/trim motor shorting out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2016, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

Spado,
You need to check out the trim on the outdrive.

Go down into the engine area and put a set of jumper wires on a good source of 12 volts and run the jumper wire directly to the trim motor connector. Have someone outside observing the outdrive.

As you put power to the trim motor, verify that the trim motor will lift and or lower the outdrive - depending on the polarity of the power being applied to the motor.

If that works correctly, then continue to check back all of the way to your trim button to see where the defect is located.

If the trim motor does not work when you put power to the motor, you need to start right at the motor to determine the defect in the motor.

Since it is the first time that you have powered up the system this year, there is a good bet that you have corrosion on a connector, wire, or a wire issue going right to the battery or a battery problem itself.

Be safe