Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
What should I do? Stay or go? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2020, 12:43 AM
Wallhanger

Default What should I do? Stay or go?

I've got a problem related to the coronavirus outbreak and I need some opinions besides my own because I'm not sure I'm thinking clearly right now.....

We just bought our winter retirement home in Mesa AZ in January. We always planned on going home sometime in April before all this virus thing started.

So since this happened, we've had many, many sometimes heated discussions about whether to stay or go home. Many of the folks that live in our 55+ retirement community have already left, earlier than planned.

Currently, this is our 9th day of self isolation. We have plenty of TP and have been ordering groceries online and picking them up at the store, in the parking lot without having contact with anybody or anything.

This morning we had coffee on the patio, then went for a golf cart cruise, then came home and grilled on the patio. We spent practically the whole day outdoors which is really important for my mental health, and my wife's too, if she would admit it.

I KNOW the weather back in SD is going to suck for the next month. The wife has calmed down and agreed to abide by my decision. So why do I feel uneasy about it?

Help me see my situation clearly. Do I stay or do I go?
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2020, 02:20 AM
Wallhanger

Hello : I would stay. Sounds like you have great weather right now. If you go home what more can you do there till the weather gets better. Seems as everything is going good for you where your at. Your probably missing family and friends but they would have to stay away from you till this is over any way. Wish I had that option for Arizona myself. My vote is to stay. Good Luck . O - R
Old 03-23-2020, 04:15 AM
Wallhanger

O-R nailed it.

Another vote for stay. Weather will be better in a month plus you'll have a much better idea where everything stands. You're just as close to family and friends in Mesa as in SD as in Timbuktu. Every person you avoid contact with is a potential dozens of cases avoided. If we flatten the curve and give the healthcare professionals time to figure this out it won't be a big deal. Get yourselves and your loved ones on Skype or FaceTime or google hangouts or whatever and keep in touch that way. Really, it isn't that much different than taking a fly in trip to Canada. You don't have the fishing and scenery but you do have full electricity and plumbing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2020, 05:10 AM
Wallhanger

Default Follow-Up

Greetings,

I also vote to "stay where you are" as long as it's working for you and your wife. You would likely be making contact with lots of folks if you were to return home. I'm thinking of trips to grocery, hardware and big-box stores to re-open your home in South Dakota. Contacting your family and friends by Skype is safer than seeing them in person at home.

Kindest regards....
Old 03-23-2020, 07:05 AM
Wallhanger

I need to agree with your wife to stay, she's a sweetheart to give in and let you soulely make the decision.
Our rule has always been that any and all MAJOR decisions in our marriage requires two yes votes. A yes and no vote is a no vote.
Judging by the opinions posted here, Mrs Roughneck is right.
Cheers

Last edited by Clairebear; 03-23-2020 at 07:08 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-23-2020, 07:53 AM
Wallhanger

I'm with the stay where you are at votes. As long as the retirees around you seem to be staying healthy, why leave. As you know, up in the north here, late March, and April, really suck weather wise anyway, so you won't really be missing much.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:44 AM
Wallhanger

Count mine as another recommendation for staying where you are.

Sounds like you have a pretty good situation there, about as safe as one can have. Any reduced chance of catching the coronavirus because of the remoteness of your home in SD is likely more than offset by the fact that medical care is more readily available where you are in AZ should you need it. Then there's the weather and all those other factors suggesting AZ to be the better spot for you.

Gerry
Old 03-23-2020, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

Default Stay

Too much uncertainty in long travel trips. Breakdowns, sudden illness, etc. Stay where it's warm and you can still be active! Just my $.02
Old 03-23-2020, 09:03 AM
Wallhanger

I agree with the others, stay where you are, atleast until the weather improves at home. Where you are now, you can comfortably self-isolate indoors or out. Go home and outdoor self-isolation will be iffy or impossible. Where I am, it's 28 degrees, foggy and 2" of new snow. Not even thinking about any outside activity. Treat your wife like a queen, social network safely and, hopefully, weather will improve when you do go home.
Old 03-23-2020, 09:06 AM

Default Similar Situation

We are in Bonita Springs Florida. Snow Birds from Chicago. We decided to weather the storm here. Have a adult daughter back home. Miss her. She doesn't want to come here and infect us. Visa-versa.

Formerly WAZ but since the change over I can't log on.