Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Atikwa Lake Lodge - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 01-30-2021, 09:03 AM
Keeper

Default Atikwa Lake Lodge

Curious if anyone on here has fished this lake, and ever had an encounter with a musky? I find it odd that this trout water doesn't have a musky population considering other trout water lakes like Dryberry, Rowan, etc.. do. Especially since their are portage lakes surrounding it that have musky populations. I wonder if its like Wabaskang and just has such a low population density that they are not fished for? Any other non musky info on this lake would be appreciated too. I'm guessing its a beautiful body of water with zero pressure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2021, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

I consider Todd at Atikwa Lake Lodge one of my best resort friends. I have actually had the pleasure of fishing Atikwa for lakers. Such a great time! It is a beautiful setting, and you see no other boats other than the few from the resort. We caught a lot of lakers, fishing deep. It's a fun fight, and the electronics on his boats were cool to watch them come off the bottom to strike.

I know he has a "musky lake", but from what I have heard... that's about the only place you get them consistently. I did not get the time to fish it.

If you're considering a trip, Todd and Jake are great hosts!
Old 01-30-2021, 11:29 AM
Slot Fish

Default Atikwa

I have not fished Atikwa Lake, but I have fished Rowan, Dryberry, Pipestone, Crow (Kakagi), Cliff, Clearwater Bay (LOTW), Vermilion Bay area of Eagle, and some of the other lake trout waters in NW Ontario.

Although I don't find it too surprising that Atikwa is devoid of muskies. In NW Ontario, lake trout lakes in general are far more rare than are walleye and northern pike lakes. And lakes which contain muskies are even more rare than lake trout lakes.

The majority of lake trout lakes in the Kenora area (Hawk, Dogtooth, Kilvert, Willard, Highwind, Kushog, Ethelma, Hillock, etc) do not contain any musky.

However, if you're lucky enough to find a lake trout lake that has muskies, the odds are that the muskies will get quite huge in those lakes, due to the abundance of high fat forage fish such as ciscoes, whitefish, and lake trout. (The walleyes grow to enormous sizes on those lake trout lakes as well).

The only other lake trout lakes that I can think of, which would also contain musky in NW Ontario would be...

Manitou
Long Legged (Stork)
Kay (Katimiagamak)
Meggisi
Kishkutena
Caviar

But other than these (and maybe a handful of others), there really aren't a whole lot of lakes in NW Ontario that contain both lake trout and muskies. (But the ones that do have both species are pretty amazing fisheries).

"Jackpot" John Schroeder

Last edited by jackpotjohnny48; 01-30-2021 at 11:33 AM. Reason: to add more content
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2021, 05:09 PM
Keeper

I have fished Dogpaw, Crow, Pipestone, Caviar, Cliff, NW Arm of Eagle, Esox, and the Manitou for muskies, which is kinda why it shocks me that there is a lack of muskies in Atikwa. Seems like most trout water lakes with any size seem to hold muskies as well. Especially in that region of Ontario.

Last edited by elkman99; 01-30-2021 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Update
Old 01-30-2021, 05:21 PM
Keeper

Johnny, did you fish Fog lake when you went to Rowan?
Thanks for the info Obabikon. Sounds like a great place.
Old 01-30-2021, 05:36 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkman99 View Post
Dryberry has huge muskies n lots of Lakers n lots of smallies ,my brother use to have a cabin there
Old 01-30-2021, 09:34 PM
Charter Member

Re: Muskies and trout - Crow Lake has both, some very large muskies have been taken. Also portions of LOW.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Krejca; 01-30-2021 at 09:35 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-30-2021, 10:15 PM
Slot Fish

Default Fog Lake

Quote:
Yes.

We spent some time in Fog during our trips to Rowan. Fog, like Rowan, is a spectacular body of water. But to some extent I consider it to be simply an extension of Brooks Bay of Rowan, because in most years (depending upon water level) it would be quite easy for a musky to swim from Rowan to Fog if she wanted to.

We spent most of our time in Brooks Bay when we fished Rowan, as the southeastern side tended to be a bit darker and more fertile, and we were primarily looking for deep weeds back in the day.

If I were to fish Rowan again today, I would do things much differently than I did in the past, as I've learned a few things about trout water patterns by fishing Pipestone, Crow, and Dryberry in the meantime.

The next time I go to Rowan, I will spend a bit more time fishing rocks, and I definitely won't be afraid to look for open water suspended fish as well.
Old 02-05-2021, 11:41 AM
Minnow

Default Atikwa Lake Muskies

I fished there alot back in the day of the In-fisherman visits and even put Jimmy Lindner on his first laker. The main lake is just that a lake trout lake, it has a few good pike areas and some giant eye's but there's not enough habitat to support a thriving muskie fishery .Sure there might be giant or two swimming around munching on lakers but those are seldom seen. The muskie lake is an adventure to get to and the primary forage appears to be perch. There's enough mid 30" fish to keep you entertained but no real hawgs. I've fished it on 3 occasions and caught fish everytime.
Old 02-05-2021, 03:15 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
I have fished Dogpaw, Crow, Pipestone, Caviar, Cliff, NW Arm of Eagle, Esox, and the Manitou for muskies, which is kinda why it shocks me that there is a lack of muskies in Atikwa. Seems like most trout water lakes with any size seem to hold muskies as well. Especially in that region of Ontario.
North of Kenora up towards the cnr tracks and further and then east is a number of trout /muskie lakes.But barely fished.One in particular is Big Canon Lake lodge.fly inn.Also very close to this camp is Favel Lake also off the beaten path but very good.