Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Resealing an asphalt driveway - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 03-02-2021, 02:18 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 621Dreamer View Post
If you are in snow country then it should be a definite yes. A driveway that has been sealed is easier to shovel and the snow melts off it much quicker.
Yep! I had my driveway resealed last summer and when the sun is out it will melt the snow fast! My concrete driveway neighbors get a little envious!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2021, 04:29 PM
Wallhanger

I used to always have my driveway resealed. It lasted 24 years before it was in such bad shape that I had to have it redone. Family across the street has never had it done and their driveway is still in pretty good shape. I will not have it resealed until I am ready to put the house on the market.
Old 03-02-2021, 05:23 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk cant log in View Post
If you (or your wife) want it done for cosmetic reasons, go for it.

As far as protection, mostly a waste of money. I have mine done every 2-3 years because I like the look and there's a sealing guy close by that does it cheap. As the drive get older it may help fill in some small cracks and prevent some ice damage.

I had my drive asphalted 30 years ago but after 20-25 years it was cracking up to the point where I had 1.5 inches of new asphalt put on top. Asphalt guy said sealing was a waste of $$; I believe him.
Was that the guy that just sold you asphalt??
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2021, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

I installed a new driveway 30 years ago and have never resealed it. It is about time for a major job, but it has only been the last couple of years that have shown the more severe deterioration.

My previous driveway, I resealed it a few times but never really found it to be worthwhile.
Old 03-03-2021, 04:41 AM
go concrete

Default go concrete

Save the resealing money, hire a contractor to come take it all out, put in concrete. Never look back. this is of course if you'll be staying in the house for a number of years. 2011 I had mine concreted, very large driveway, camper pad etc. Sure glad I went that route, more expensive yes, but night/day difference between the two.
Old 03-03-2021, 06:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stout93 View Post
I'll probably have mine done this year now that I've been researching it more.

I did it myself about 5 years ago, I think I went through 15-16 of the buckets. The driveway sucked it up pretty good. My driveway is probably 30% larger than the average suburban driveway.

I'm now thinking of hiring it out.

Any ideas on how much more I would expect to pay for hiring a company to do it?
Mine is 150' by 18' or so. I paid $800 last year for hot tar in all the cracks and sealing. The company that re-paved it several years ago did it. It was in pretty good shape, but a few large cracks. It also was a fairly rough mix and just eats up the sealer. I'd done about half previously and a fly-by-night outfit did what I'd call a too-light coat also.
Old 03-03-2021, 06:12 AM
mk cant log in

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawman View Post
Was that the guy that just sold you asphalt??
Yeah, I thought the same thing. LOL

But I've never seen them sealing asphalt roads so I think he may have a point.

I sealed the orig drive every 2-3 years and it lasted exactly as long as a neighbor's that never sealed his. But mine looked better!!!
Old 03-03-2021, 07:06 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by go concrete View Post
Save the resealing money, hire a contractor to come take it all out, put in concrete. Never look back. this is of course if you'll be staying in the house for a number of years. 2011 I had mine concreted, very large driveway, camper pad etc. Sure glad I went that route, more expensive yes, but night/day difference between the two.
Dirty, oil stained concrete with huge cracks throughout....no thanks
Old 03-03-2021, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Stout,
My son had his driveway replaced last summer, along with a bunch of other work.
When he had the new concrete laid, he had black dye mixed with the concrete. This then, gave him a black driveway, which really helps to melt snow in the winter.

This winter was the first test and he found that it worked very well to aid in melting ice and snow from the driveway, compared to non dyed concrete.

Take care
Old 03-03-2021, 10:05 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by stout93 View Post
Dirty, oil stained concrete with huge cracks throughout....no thanks
Oil stains? I thought everyone is driving electric cars now?