Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Do you use a float on your lindy rig? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 09-07-2021, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

I read an article in a “Fins and Feathers” magazine 31 years ago about using a float about 3 to 4 inches up from your hook when Lindy Rigging.. Tha article said to peg the float with a toothpick or a bobber stop and a bead. It said it creates just a small amount of slack in your line so when a Walleye goes up to eat it, it has just enough slack to displace water as opposed to being straight. Do you remember when fishing legend Mike McClelland was selling snells that the line was in a coil above the hook? At any rate, I went out fishing the next day after reading the article and caught an 11 pound Walleye with that rig and have been using it ever since. So when you feel that tick on your line, that’s the Walleye displacing water and the hook is in its mouth and you set the hook. No feeding line and gut hooking with this set up. Try it...it works great with crawlers, leeches and minnows!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2021, 06:49 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiMinneye View Post
I read an article in a “Fins and Feathers” magazine 31 years ago about using a float about 3 to 4 inches up from your hook when Lindy Rigging.. Tha article said to peg the float with a toothpick or a bobber stop and a bead. It said it creates just a small amount of slack in your line so when a Walleye goes up to eat it, it has just enough slack to displace water as opposed to being straight. Do you remember when fishing legend Mike McClelland was selling snells that the line was in a coil above the hook? At any rate, I went out fishing the next day after reading the article and caught an 11 pound Walleye with that rig and have been using it ever since. So when you feel that tick on your line, that’s the Walleye displacing water and the hook is in its mouth and you set the hook. No feeding line and gut hooking with this set up. Try it...it works great with crawlers, leeches and minnows!
I'm afraid I'm not following you at all as to displacing water. That is, I know what it means to displace water, but I don't see how it applies here nor what it would do for you...

Gerry
Old 09-08-2021, 01:11 PM
Keeper

https://shop.northlandtackle.com/jig...auler-harness/
I really like the Northland gum drop floater. For night crawlers these are a go-to for me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2021, 01:28 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbin View Post
I'm afraid I'm not following you at all as to displacing water. That is, I know what it means to displace water, but I don't see how it applies here nor what it would do for you...

Gerry
Well, in Mike's own words from several decades ago:

"We spent so much time trying to get walleyes to bite, using everything from fish scents to changing colors, or how we were jigging. But you know, I always fished a lot of shallow water, and watched fish bite. I’d watch a walleye come up to a jig, flare its gills—you’d see the white flash—and the jig disappears. They don’t bite anything. They suck it in with the flow of water. What we had to figure out was how to allow that fish to eat; how to suck it in with the flow of water."
Old 09-08-2021, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldowillie View Post
Well, in Mike's own words from several decades ago:

"We spent so much time trying to get walleyes to bite, using everything from fish scents to changing colors, or how we were jigging. But you know, I always fished a lot of shallow water, and watched fish bite. I’d watch a walleye come up to a jig, flare its gills—you’d see the white flash—and the jig disappears. They don’t bite anything. They suck it in with the flow of water. What we had to figure out was how to allow that fish to eat; how to suck it in with the flow of water."
Waldowillie, You my friend are spot on!

Timmer92 and GBIN,
There was a book written by Mike McClelland and Jeff Murray back in 1988 called, "How to Win the Walleye Game". It is still a very good book with a ton of information that made me a much better walleye fisherman. If you can find a copy you should read it from cover to cover. Of course the section on Electronics has changed considerably but there is still great information that is still very relevant today. Please see attached picture, note the drawing with the yellow star is what I am talking about.
Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lindy Float.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	488.2 KB
ID:	329128  
Old 09-09-2021, 05:52 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:

Timmer92 and GBIN,
There was a book written by Mike McClelland and Jeff Murray back in 1988 called, "How to Win the Walleye Game". It is still a very good book with a ton of information that made me a much better walleye fisherman. If you can find a copy you should read it from cover to cover. Of course the section on Electronics has changed considerably but there is still great information that is still very relevant today. Please see attached picture, note the drawing with the yellow star is what I am talking about.
Jim
Thanks for the suggestion! The book is available on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/How-Walleye-G.../dp/0962257133
Old 09-09-2021, 06:36 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer92 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion! The book is available on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/How-Walleye-G.../dp/0962257133
Or for a shorter read, Mike did an interview a couple of years back; just google: "Mike McClelland in his own words".
Old 09-09-2021, 10:59 AM
Keeper

I used a lot of Lindy rigs with a floating jig head. The jigs had a reversed bend eye which caused the hook to ride in the up position.
<IMHO> I believe I get more hook ups with this type of jig.
I have not seen them on the market lately and now make my own floating jig heads.
Old 09-09-2021, 02:04 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:

Timmer92 and GBIN,
Jim
Thanks, I'll check out the book!

Gerry
Old 09-11-2021, 11:36 AM
Slot Fish

Yes I often use a float on my rigs - usually a Gumdrop (Phelps) for crawlers and leeches, I also have been known to air inject my crawlers when using a plain octopus hook with a small chart. bead.