Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lund Travel Cover - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 11-20-2019, 10:34 PM
Minnow

Default Lund Travel Cover

Hey guys, I recently bought a Lund 1875 Impact that came with a really nice travel cover that clips into the sport track. I was wondering if it will be okay to use this for full time storage including winter outdoors. Or, should I get a separate cheaper cover for that and just use this for travel. We have already had a couple of snowstorms that have dropped 4-5 inches overnight. I'm worried that the weight of heavy snow could stretch out the cover. I'd hate to have to replace this in a few years. What do you guys think? Use the cover and not worry about it? Buy a cheaper cover for storage? Or put a tarp over the Lund cover?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2019, 10:44 PM
Slot Fish

Before I had a carport I would always wrap a tarp over my cover too. I had not thought about it getting stretched out over time. Maybe some cheap bass pro cover that you wrap with a tarp would be a good way to go.
Old 11-21-2019, 01:15 AM
Wallhanger

I picked up one of the cheaper covers that Menards sells, actually not too bad, water will roll off if supports are set right. For the winter i picked up one of the covers they put on new boats when they ship them off of Ebay. These are pvc and are water proof and felt lined. I put this over my other cover so now if snow sits on it and melts i don't have to worry about water seeping through. Added a nylon motor cover off Amazon and now my rig is totally protected and buttoned up and i didn't have to break the bank.
Rhodan 72" 36v 120 lb. thrust trolling motor
2 Simrad NSS12
Lowrance HDS 12 gen2
Lowrance point 1
Simrad is40
Sonarhub
LSS 1
2 36" Cannon tracks
2 Cannon electric downriggers
2 Highseas quad rod trees
6 Bert's ratcheting rod holders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2019, 06:33 AM
Wallhanger

I'd either get something to cover the travel cover to protect it from sunlight and weathering or I'd get a cheaper cover to use in the winter or whenever storing and use the travel cover only in the summer when travelling.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:56 AM
Wallhanger

I have to get a cover from my Lund explorer 1700 but I get over whelmed every time I try to research. 500 companies making any cover for any boat. So much saturation by these companies I am having trouble finding any reliable information. Its like Mattress shopping.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:23 AM
Wallhanger

I was going to have my boat shrink wrapped for the winter before I found indoor storage. A big heavy snow could potentially damage the travel cover
Old 11-21-2019, 11:54 AM
Minnow

Default Tarp your Lund

I have a 1775 Impact and the same type of cover - excellent cover, My suggestion is that you run a couple of 2X4's fore and aft resting on the walk through windshield - install your Lund cover and then cover the whole boat with a plastic tarp - the boards will support the cover and cause some of the snow and water to drain off. (Price the cost of a replacement Lund cover $$$). I have a pole building now, but in previous Lund boats I have used the boards.
jim
Old 11-21-2019, 12:10 PM
Minnow

These are all good answers. I think for this winter, I am going to get a 12' x 25' tarp from Wally World and put it over the Lund cover, maybe build a tent frame or something. Next year, I can buy something different. Jim, I don't think I will need the 2x4s because the Lund cover has the two straps going from bow to stern.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:29 PM
Minnow

Look at Navigloo line of protective winter covers. I too used a tarp and makeshift supports for many years, finally purchased this product for my boat in the fall. So far snow slides off it, some heavy wind hasn't shifted the cover around, and it looks reasonable, liking what I see.
Old 11-24-2019, 02:51 PM
Minnow

Thanks DBH, I'll look into that.