Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Best Heater ??? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 09-24-2020, 08:37 AM
Wallhanger

Default Best Heater ???

I need a heater for a 15x 15 room for 4 hours in mid Winter when cheap electricity is cut off - Is there anything out there that is new and great that that has come out recently ? Portable would be nice , safe , don't want to wire unless I have to (plug in ok). Thinking 10,000 btu or more . Any suggestions ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2020, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-Cor.../dp/B01DPZ56PU

http://thermablaster.com/products/10...t-free-heater/

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Thermabl...00FS/306053029
Old 09-24-2020, 09:25 AM
Wallhanger

I've looked at those heaters but I'm not certain they can be used safely in a house . "Oxygen depletion" is my main concern .. Notice for example the Home Depot heater says for shop and garage use but doesn't mention house use
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2020, 11:30 AM
Slot Fish

Default Verrrry Simple

Go to Fleet Farm and pick up 1 or 2 Milk Parlor Heaters...Approx. $25 ea. These are rockstars in heating....thermostat controlled.....shutoff tip controlled......1500W

I use one in my basement area - 12x36

Not fancy....not pretty …..for electric heat - the only way to go until there is a heater built more than 1500W!!

Oh yeah, I scrapped my wife's "Amish heater" ($350) this past spring.... 1500W max and never heated as well as the parlor heater!
Old 09-24-2020, 02:01 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkman View Post
I need a heater for a 15x 15 room for 4 hours in mid Winter when cheap electricity is cut off - Is there anything out there that is new and great that that has come out recently ? Portable would be nice , safe , don't want to wire unless I have to (plug in ok). Thinking 10,000 btu or more . Any suggestions ?
Are you talking if the electricity's out? If not, can you prewarm the room a bit beforehand and just ride it out?
Old 09-24-2020, 02:52 PM
Wallhanger

Check out Mr Heater BIG BUDDY.
States that it's indoor safe and up to 18,000 BTU.
Like anything, I would use some common sense while using it, but sounds like it should suit your need.
Old 09-24-2020, 03:04 PM
Wallhanger

CJR , I have a heat pump which runs on discounted electricity. When there is high demand they shut me down for up to 4 hours.When its -10 degrees it gets very uncomfortable in my old house in 4 hours . I'm trying to find a heater that I could run during this time period that is safe . I've tried to ride it out but its not fun . I was hoping with modern technology there would be something new on the market that would work great and suit my needs.
Old 09-24-2020, 03:53 PM
holliswusamember

If you are talking portable electric heaters,..ALL 1500 watt heater but out the SAME btu's!,..
Some are safer like oil filled radiators which take longer to heat up but may give less NOTICEABLE
swings but ultimately will put the same btus in the room,

I wouldn't put a non vented heater like Mr Buddy in any space where I would live.
Old 09-24-2020, 04:06 PM
Wallhanger

3.41 btu per watt. Watts/volts equals amps. 5115btu=1500w=12.5a. You aren't going to get a lot btu out of a typical 120 volt circuit. What is the output of your heat pump, 60,000btu+?

A wood stove is a better, safer bet and you can always enjoy a fire even if you don't need it.
Old 09-25-2020, 06:08 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkman View Post
CJR , I have a heat pump which runs on discounted electricity. When there is high demand they shut me down for up to 4 hours.When its -10 degrees it gets very uncomfortable in my old house in 4 hours . I'm trying to find a heater that I could run during this time period that is safe . I've tried to ride it out but its not fun . I was hoping with modern technology there would be something new on the market that would work great and suit my needs.
The heat pump is going to be way more efficient than anything else you put in. Using anything that plugs in is still going to be using electricity so you would be better off using the heat pump. A propane heater would work, but the cost to buy and operate will eat away at any savings from being controlled. I would go with a couple milkhouse heaters. The cheaper the better. They all put out the same heat.