Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
New trolling motor has a different transducer - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 05-25-2021, 03:17 PM
Minnow

Default New trolling motor has a different transducer

I recently bought a used boat that had a bow mount trolling motor with a universal transducer for the Helix 9 up front. I upgraded the trolling motor and the only one I could find had an MSI (side imaging) transducer. I thought it would not be a big deal but the connector does not match the adapter cord that was used for the previous motor with the universal.
so i guess my question is can I get an adapter from and MSI transducer to fit in a Helix 9 that does not have side imaging? How can I rectify?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2021, 03:37 PM
Wallhanger

It will need a different adapter, but what Helix 9 model do you have? I will attach the compatability chat as soon as I can find it.
They only list mega DI and SI units as compatable though. LINK: https://www.minnkotamotors.com/suppo...n-MEGA-imaging

Last edited by Ozark Bob; 05-25-2021 at 03:41 PM.
Old 05-26-2021, 05:02 AM
Wallhanger

You should be able to see 2D imaging from the transducer on your Helix 9 with the MKR-MI-1 adapter cable if it's a G2 or later model like you did with the universal transducer on your last trolling motor..

From Humminbird:

You can only view MEGA Down and Side Imaging with a MEGA DI or MEGA SI HELIX G2N, G3N or G4N Series model and a required adapter, or with any SOLIX Series model. The built-in transducer cannot supply MEGA Imaging to Humminbird models that do not already have the capability. If you have a G2/G2N, G3/G3N HELIX that is not a MEGA SI or MEGA DI model, you will still get 2D Dual Spectrum CHIRP Sonar from the transducer.

Last edited by KPKyllo; 05-26-2021 at 05:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2021, 06:09 AM
Minnow

Thanks folks, I have the Helix 9X Sonar GPS. So it does sound like the transducer will work as I was concerned that my unit would not even accept the SI transducer.
Ok I will order up a MKR-MI-1 adapter cable and that should get me up and running.
Thanks Ozark Bob and KPKyllo.
Old 05-26-2021, 07:20 AM
Wallhanger

it will work with adapter. I have a helix 9 with just gps and sonar, on an ulterra with msi as well
Old 05-26-2021, 08:40 AM
Minnow

Same scenario as me, great to hear! Sometimes I lose confidence with technology! lol
Thanks Vetleap!
Old 05-26-2021, 05:12 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touque View Post
Same scenario as me, great to hear! Sometimes I lose confidence with technology! lol
Thanks Vetleap!
You're welcome
Old 05-26-2021, 06:49 PM
Wallhanger

I don't think gen1 or gen 2 can handle the duel spectrum ducer. Gen 2.5( special from BPS and Cabela's can) I would check with support to be sure. There were hardware consequences. Messed up sonar drivers. There may be exceptions with later software but worth contacting HB. Wayne P. on BBC is another source you can trust on that matter. Bob
Old 05-27-2021, 05:19 AM
Wallhanger

I copied the below directly from Humminbird's website and it states that it'll work with G2 Helix units Bob.

You can only view MEGA Down and Side Imaging with a MEGA DI or MEGA SI HELIX G2N, G3N or G4N Series model and a required adapter, or with any SOLIX Series model. The built-in transducer cannot supply MEGA Imaging to Humminbird models that do not already have the capability. If you have a G2/G2N, G3/G3N HELIX that is not a MEGA SI or MEGA DI model, you will still get 2D Dual Spectrum CHIRP Sonar from the transducer.
Old 05-27-2021, 10:12 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPKyllo View Post
I copied the below directly from Humminbird's website and it states that it'll work with G2 Helix units Bob.

Adding a little more info; to view a TM MSI it has to be a Helix 8 or bigger, the Helix 7 MSI isn't capable of reading SI from a TM like an Ulterra.