Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Left hand crank linecounter reels? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 05-14-2009, 06:09 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenStriper View Post
It does to me. Seven to 10 percentage of adults are left-handed. Of those left-handed people only a small percentage use left-handed reels. If you get left-handed reels chances are that you will be the only one that will be able to use them. By the way I am a lefty. Learn to crank with your right-hand and you will have a bunch more options.
well, i am right handed but i like to reel with my left hand and hold the rod with my right. it only makes sense to hold the thing with your dominant hand and use your weak hand to crank,....sorta like putting a baseball glove on your left hand, and throwing with your right. i dunno why you find that so odd....but i'm sure there are LOTS of right handed guys who do this also.
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2009, 07:15 AM
Keeper

jinx,

I do the same.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:30 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JinxCanada View Post
well, i am right handed but i like to reel with my left hand and hold the rod with my right. it only makes sense to hold the thing with your dominant hand and use your weak hand to crank,....sorta like putting a baseball glove on your left hand, and throwing with your right. i dunno why you find that so odd....but i'm sure there are LOTS of right handed guys who do this also.
Exactly, I couldn't have said it better myself.

As far as I'm concerned this is "normal", it certainly is among the vast majority of people that I fish with and have encountered throughout my life. I only know a handful of guys that crank with their dominant hand (right). Maybe I live is a bizarro world, who knows.

That's why I find it so hard to believe that linecounter reels, and until fairly recently, baitcasters, have only been available in right hand crank. It seems completely counterintuitive to me. According to Golden Striper's statistics, 90-93% of the population is right handed, so even if only 1/3 of those people preferred to hold their rod with their dominant hand and crank with their left, plus throw in some lefties, and that means roughly 1/3 of all reel sales would be left hand crank models.

It's ridiculous really to not have the choice...

Waxy
Old 05-14-2009, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

I'm glad I can use right handed because the new Accu-Depths are sweet since they are now the exact same size and body of the Sea Line. I have two new setups and couldnt be happier.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
I'm looking to buy myself a good quality line counter reel for trolling cranks for walleye.

I think I've settled on the Daiwas, and in particular the Sealine or possibly the AccuDepth. I can't seem to find them in a left hand crank though, and Daiwa's website isn't much use. Anyone out there know if they're available?

If not, what do you guys recommend for a left hand crank linecounter reel?

Thanks,

Waxy
I dont recall seeing a left handed "line counter"

My guess is that it is because you do not cast with a linje counter and therefore doesn't matter which hand you use.

I too prefer a lefty casting reel since I use my right hand to toss the bait and reel w/ the left. Why would you want to switch hands every time you cast.

No switching needed with trolling. Just my guess!
NPAA #499
Old 03-16-2010, 09:15 PM
Wallhanger

righty here that only uses left handed reels. why dont you right handed baitcaster guys use a right handed spinning reel....awkward....exactly.

I have 3 okuma magda line counters and they are a really nice reel for the money. I would like to try one of the higher end lc's but nothing in a lefty yet.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:57 AM
Wallhanger

I am right handed, all my reels are left hand retrieve, if your the boat operator with a tiller handle, makes sense to me
Old 03-18-2010, 11:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JinxCanada View Post
Put me in the right hander who uses left hand crank reels camp. Why would I cast with my right hand then swich hands to crank in the bait? Makes no sense. Grew up fishing with left hand crank spinning rods, to naturally converted to left hand crank baitcasters.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:00 PM
sankstone

Question left hand reels

[All reels should be left handed. All spinning reels are left hand cranks. Why change it. I buy all left hand cranking reels. Why in the world would you cast right handed and switch your hands to reel? If you cut a piece of meat with your right hand why would you stab the meat with your left? Same deal. Habit.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:28 PM
Minnow

Same here, right handed and always cranked with my left. A couple of years ago I bought two of the Cabela's lefty line counters and they've stood up very well to the abuse I've put them through, although the drag on them is a bit loud.