Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Prop Selection Help - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 05-16-2019, 10:38 PM
Slot Fish

Default Prop Selection Help

So unimpressed with the factory rigging and prop choice, I know surprise surprise. Wide Open trimmed up to achieve max speed, cave plate was 1-1-1/2" below the water, (thinking 2 hole raise)
and max RPM was 5750 on a 250 SHO Yamaha. Prop is a 15 X 15-3/4" Stainless Yamaha Saltwater II. Recommendations on what to try after raising the motor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2019, 05:44 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrxlh View Post
So unimpressed with the factory rigging and prop choice, I know surprise surprise. Wide Open trimmed up to achieve max speed, cave plate was 1-1-1/2" below the water, (thinking 2 hole raise)
and max RPM was 5750 on a 250 SHO Yamaha. Prop is a 15 X 15-3/4" Stainless Yamaha Saltwater II. Recommendations on what to try after raising the motor?
Might want to provide additional information about your boat. What brand and model?....what's the weight? Also.....kicker motor or electric trolling motor ( How many batteries ), you're typical load ( People...gear etc.) and what you're goal is ( All around performance, cruising, fuel economy or top speed.)

I've found it extremely helpful to raise my motors from their "Factory Rigged" position. But....this also depends on your hull and intended use.

With additional info. I'm sure guys here can offer advice to you.

2017 Lund 1900 Tyee
Mercury 200 Verado Pro
Mercury 15hp Pro Kicker
Humminbird 12.1" Solix
Old 05-22-2019, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

Mrx,
Raise the motor so that the cavitation plate is 2-3 inches ABOVE the bottom of the hull.

Also, try a 17,18,19, and 20 pitch props on the motor and see what you find.

If you use a prop with a high rake angle, you will be able to run the motor at a higher motor setting than a motor with a lower rake angle. The rake angle is the angle of tilt on the prop.

-----------------------------

https://www.perfprotech.com/store/ap...Propellers.pdf

-------------------------------------------
You might also call 4 or 5 different Yamaha motor dealers, preferable located near large bodies of water so that they will have first hand experience in propping an engine of your make and model.

Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2019, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

Mrx,
Raise the motor so that the cavitation plate is 2-3 inches ABOVE the bottom of the hull.

Also, try a 17,18,19, and 20 pitch props on the motor and see what you find.

If you use a prop with a high rake angle, you will be able to run the motor at a higher motor setting than a motor with a lower rake angle. The rake angle is the angle of tilt on the prop.

-----------------------------

https://www.perfprotech.com/store/ap...Propellers.pdf

-------------------------------------------
You might also call 4 or 5 different Yamaha motor dealers, preferable located near large bodies of water so that they will have first hand experience in propping an engine of your make and model.

My first prop of choice would the the same Saltwater series II in heavier pitches, like 16,17,18 and 19 pitches.

Good luck
Old 05-27-2019, 08:23 AM
Slot Fish

It's a Tri toon 26', Dry weight is 3280, full of fuel, gear, and typical passenger count would be just under 4000 lbs. The holeshot is fantastic, but should see more than 40 MPH. Using the factory analog tach it indicated I was turning 6300 RPM which is too much, however hooking up the Simrad to the NMEA2K and getting digital readings, max she turns with the prop listed above is 5700. Probably should post this on a Pontoon site, but the posts I have read here on propping and calculating prop slip here made me think there is a much larger wealth of knowledge here.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:37 AM
Keeper

I personally wouldn't be worrying about props until you get the motor set properly. I was out on the lake yesterday recording a bunch of data to figure out my prop better. I have the benefit of a jack plate to set my engine height perfectly, and 1 1/2" would make a significant difference IMHO.
Old 05-27-2019, 12:14 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertan View Post
I personally wouldn't be worrying about props until you get the motor set properly. I was out on the lake yesterday recording a bunch of data to figure out my prop better. I have the benefit of a jack plate to set my engine height perfectly, and 1 1/2" would make a significant difference IMHO.
Yep. Raise the outboard, then get speed and rpm data at WOT for your current prop. Then you'll know how to adjust the prop pitch. As for rpm, I'd rather trust the digital data than an analog tach.
Old 05-27-2019, 05:41 PM
Keeper

I know for my boats....I needed to get the mounting height dialed in....as has already been recommended. This made it easier / more efficient to dial in my prop. Not sure how sensitive a Tri-Toon is for mounting height but I would think it would respond similarly.....especially with a pretty significant load rating. I guess in an ideal world....having an electric jackplate would be a perfect addition. Then you could adjust motor height according to load. My boats responded very well once the anti-cav plate is skimming just on top of the surface of the water when on plane.

Best of luck. Your additional info. will help resident "Experts" here....provide you with some very valuable advice / recommendations. My rigs have been a lot more satisfying once the set up was dialed in. I venture a guess that you'll be more satisfied with the overall performance of your rig once you get it dialed in.

2017 Lund 1900 Tyee
Mercury 200 Verado Pro
Mercury 15hp Pro Kicker
Humminbird 12.1" Solix