Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Warrior V2121 with a Suzuki DF300/DF9.9HT...Will I need Trim Tabs? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 03-24-2009, 01:25 PM
Keeper

Default Warrior V2121 with a Suzuki DF300/DF9.9HT...Will I need Trim Tabs?

I've purchased a 2008 Warrior V2121 with a Suzuki DF 300. It's a big boat, but the four stroke Suze weighs 615 pounds and I know I'll eventually want a kicker too which will add another 100 pounds or so on the transom. I've been reading other threads here, and I understand the Warriors do not tend to ride as bow heavy as some other boats like the Rangers. I also have the center rod storage instead of a front livewell to balance the boat. I think I know the answer to my question already. But I was wondering if anyone could provide any information on the difference trim tabs made on their boats of similar size. I was thinking of the Minn Kota system as well unless there is something better. I'm just gathering the components to have the dealer rig the boat for me. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2009, 02:03 PM
Keeper

I HAVE A 203 Warrior with 275 Verado and pro kicker. I was getting some porpoising at 40 mph when I tried to trim up for economy. I decided to install Minkota trim tabs which Troy put on at the factory for me. They are a quality product with nice controls. It did help, but did not eliminate the porposing. I just don't trim up as much as i used to and finding the right prop was a big help. I went from a 21 tempest to a 19 tempest. A friend of mine put a small dolefin on his and was happy with the results. These heavier motors and have affected the balance some. Anything over 40 mph and no problem. I do not think i would go the trim tabs again.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

Put on a set of Bennet or other mechanical adjustable trim tabs and you will be glad that you did.
Almost all of the larger boats with the large heavy motors benefit from the use of electro hydralic tabs. Drop them down for planing out, and adjust up as needed to level and or stabilize the boat.

Another good option is the use of the Nauticus auto tabs. They will automatically deploy down when first planing and adjust up as the boat comes up on plane. Install the trolling levers so that the tabs can be retracted if not needed, for shallow water use, or for trailering.

Take care
REW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2009, 11:25 AM
Wallhanger

Default Try here

I believe that is the exact combo that Ken Lee uses for his charter operation on LBDN. Pretty sure he put tabs of some kind on the boat. Try your question at [email protected]
Old 03-25-2009, 01:15 PM
Keeper

Yeah Ken and his brother have the same basic set up...I'm hoping he'll chime in soon. I'm not sure if they have a kicker or not...I would imagine they do. I saw him post that they have Lenco tabs. I will look into them as well as REW's recommendations. I have to discuss this with my dealer although I was talking to someone there that said they are not that keen on them. But then there are not a lot of big glass boats up here either. I'm not too concerned about getting on plane faster. But I do want to make sure I can get the bow down into the waves since I frequently have to head home from my favorite spots directly into or quartering into 2-4' waves. Thanks for all the help/suggestions.

Dean Higson
Old 03-25-2009, 01:35 PM
Minnow

Dean,

Shoot me an email and we'll talk about it. I can tell you exactly how the Lee's boat is set up...I rigged it.

[email protected]

Troy
Old 03-25-2009, 01:51 PM
Keeper

Thanks Troy. If you give me a time that works for you I will call you at the plant on Friday. I think I spoke with you last season about hanging a Yammie or Verado 350 off the back of this hull. But with the exchange rate it's just not worth it anymore. Thanks again for the help.

Dean Higson
Old 03-25-2009, 02:46 PM
Minnow

We are technically closed on Fridays. I may or may not be here. Depends on how much needs to be done yet this week. Otherwise anytime between 8-4:30 Mon-Thurs. works.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:49 PM
Keeper

Cool Trim Tabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertan View Post
I've purchased a 2008 Warrior V2121 with a Suzuki DF 300. It's a big boat, but the four stroke Suze weighs 615 pounds and I know I'll eventually want a kicker too which will add another 100 pounds or so on the transom. I've been reading other threads here, and I understand the Warriors do not tend to ride as bow heavy as some other boats like the Rangers. I also have the center rod storage instead of a front livewell to balance the boat. I think I know the answer to my question already. But I was wondering if anyone could provide any information on the difference trim tabs made on their boats of similar size. I was thinking of the Minn Kota system as well unless there is something better. I'm just gathering the components to have the dealer rig the boat for me. Thanks.
Albertan,
Yes, the trim tabs make a huge difference in the ride on our V2121 (which is an awesome boat by the way). The tabs help plant the nose so you slice the waves rather than pound them with the mid-section of the boat. We have the Lenco electrics on ours. But I'm sure the Minn-Kota's would work just as good. They all do the same thing. Another nice thing about having tabs is that when you have a weight challenged (politically correct?) person or two with you and the boat wants to lean one way or the other, you can correct that quite easily with the tabs. You will love that 300 Suzy too! As they say on planes, "raise your seat backs to the upright position and stow your tray tables" because this combination boat and motor absolutely flies!!! Enjoy your new boat...
Kevin Lee
P.S.
If you have any other questions, just shoot us an e-mail at [email protected] .
Old 03-26-2009, 09:38 PM
Keeper

First off I wanted to thank Troy at the factory for taking the time to answer some of my questions. Between the first rate dealer and the ability to get advice from the people building the boat, I know I will be well taken care of. It's a pleasant change from some of the other boats I have owned and I haven't even taken delivery yet.

After talking to Troy, I will likely be going with the Minn Kota 9X12" tabs on my boat. I'm also trying to decide on electronics on my boat. Troy didn't think two HDS-10s would fit on the console without cantilevering them out quite a bit on RAM mounts. What electronics are you running Kevin and how do they fit? Any pictures by chance? Thanks again.

Dean Higson