Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Stern Mounted Electronics - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 02-03-2019, 10:17 PM
Keeper

Default Stern Mounted Electronics

I have an "extra" Carbon 12 after deciding to mount my Carbon 16 at the console instead of dual Carbon 12s. I do almost all of my fishing on the starboard side behind the windshield, often times facing the motors watching trolling lines. I've often thought a display at the back of the boat would be handy so I didn't always have to be turning 180* to check the units on the console. I went through the entire "Show us your electronics" thread, and only saw a couple of displays mounted at the back. Does anyone else have any pictures of a similar mounting or care to share their experiences with a display mounted at the stern? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2019, 05:48 AM
Keeper

Default Stern electronics

These photos may be in the thread you looked at, but if not, here is my HDS 12 on the stern of my Everglades. We troll Lake Erie for walleyes and this unit is great for watching for fish and also following a trolling path. It also shines when we are jig fishing without much wind, because you can watch your lure under the boat. I wouldn't be without a stern unit for trolling and jigging. I have mine mounted on a Cisco Electronics mount and I can remove the entire unit and mount quickly when we go boating and need the rear seat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2330.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	307060  
Old 02-04-2019, 06:02 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbietroller View Post
These photos may be in the thread you looked at, but if not, here is my HDS 12 on the stern of my Everglades. We troll Lake Erie for walleyes and this unit is great for watching for fish and also following a trolling path. It also shines when we are jig fishing without much wind, because you can watch your lure under the boat. I wouldn't be without a stern unit for trolling and jigging. I have mine mounted on a Cisco Electronics mount and I can remove the entire unit and mount quickly when we go boating and need the rear seat
Same here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2019, 08:05 AM
Keeper

I never even thought about how handy it would be for vertical jigging. My kicker is on the starboard side, so I have to be really careful to make sure there is clearance for everything.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:36 AM
Wallhanger

Carbon 12 mounted on a RAM mount at the driver's side rear corner.

It's right in your face when you're working the Vantage to hover or backtroll, no more constantly turning your head to look at the sonar unit, and you can turn it around when you're pulling cranks so you can watch the sonar and your rods at the same time. The RAM mount is the key, it lets you reposition it pretty much infinitely so you always have a good view.

I love it. I'm so used to having it there now that I'd REALLY miss it if wasn't there.

Waxy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	401.0 KB
ID:	307062   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	487.7 KB
ID:	307064   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Size:	441.1 KB
ID:	307066   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Size:	468.6 KB
ID:	307068  
Old 02-04-2019, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

My rear unit is mounted on a ram mount on the opposite side of the kicker. I use a 2 prong quick connect for the power cord and ethernet for connecting to the main console unit rather that another transducer. My neck was very pleased when I first started using a rear unit while trolling. No negatives...other than cost.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:50 PM
Keeper

Thanks for the replies. My kicker is mounted on the starboard side. Did a bunch of reading about which is better and didn't come up with anything other than it's preference, although I can see some logical arguments for putting it on the port side. I may look at swapping them around, although I kind of like having the kicker on the starboard side for laker fishing up north. Some iteration of Way's RAM mount looks doable. I'll have to go sit in the boat and ponder it tonight.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:53 PM
Keeper

Waxy, did you add a pedestal base on your 208? Looks like you have the factory one in the middle and then another slightly to the starboard with the chair mounted in it.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:09 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertan View Post
Waxy, did you add a pedestal base on your 208? Looks like you have the factory one in the middle and then another slightly to the starboard with the chair mounted in it.
I added the pedestal base myself. First one ever done lol. It's a factory option now. They put it in the same place, but you can put it on either side.

The one in the middle is the ski pole mount.

Waxy
Old 02-04-2019, 04:15 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertan View Post
Thanks for the replies. My kicker is mounted on the starboard side. Did a bunch of reading about which is better and didn't come up with anything other than it's preference, although I can see some logical arguments for putting it on the port side. I may look at swapping them around, although I kind of like having the kicker on the starboard side for laker fishing up north. Some iteration of Way's RAM mount looks doable. I'll have to go sit in the boat and ponder it tonight.
I'm seriously contemplating switching sides with my kicker and Vantage. If it wasn't such a PITA (sonar cables and mounts, new pedestal mount, fuel lines, motor mounts, moving transducers, etc...) and so expensive (new Wave Wackers), I'd have done it already. I'd be doing it primarily to move the Vantage. Being right handed, I'd like to be able to hang my fishing rod right over the side of the boat and steer with my left hand when hovering or backtrolling. The way it's setup now, I have to awkwardly cross my arms to face backward or stand facing the side of the boat and be constantly turning my head or letting go of the Vantage handle, less than ideal. I'm really not too concerned about which side the kicker is on, it's pretty irrelevant in my opinion.

Waxy