Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Point 1 or Precision 9 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 02-10-2019, 08:52 PM
Keeper

Default Point 1 or Precision 9

I'm not sure what's a better expenditure of $$$ for my application. I have a Point 1 I have tentatively installed (waiting to confirm placement this Spring). I also have Carbon 12's mounted at the stern(18-24" from the 'ducers) and the bow (right next to the Xi5). I really only want the Point 1 for the compass/heading sensor. I plan to mount it in front of my port console, which means I won't be using any of it's GPS capabilities. So that got me to wondering if the Precision 9 might be a better option. But is it that much better on a walleye boat in what we call "rough water" to justify the cost over the Point 1? I hear the Point 1 loses some of it's luster if your anchored with your TM, or otherwise not moving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2019, 06:34 AM
Super Moderator

Highly doubtful you would discern enough of a difference on a Walleye boat to justify the extra $$'s. IMOPO, purely as a heading sensor, the Point-1 does every bit as good of a job as the Precision-9. While it does not have "all" the bells and whistles of the P-9, the Point-1 does an excellent job!

In remembrance of those that gave the "Ultimate" Sacrifice!
Old 02-11-2019, 07:54 AM
Keeper

Thanks for your thoughts Hawker. I was hoping you'd chime in. I knew the Precision 9 was "better", but wasn't sure it was worth the extra money in my/our application.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2019, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator

I should add though, that if perchance you are utilizing the Lowrance/Simrad Outboard Autopilot and use it a lot, then the Precision-9 has the advantage over the Point-1, especially for heave compensation when traversing a route. If you don't have the Outboard Autopilot, the best choice $$ wise would be the Point-1.

In remembrance of those that gave the "Ultimate" Sacrifice!