Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
how many battries - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 04-11-2019, 01:30 PM
Minnow

Default how many battries

Just wondering how much juice one needs to run a HDS 10 gen 2 all day, pulling rigs and the HDS starts reading 5' or so after several hrs. I see some of the pros with 4 of the new electronics on their boat, how much juice do they have?Does one need a battery set aside for nothing but electronics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2019, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

Wouldn't hurt.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:33 PM
Keeper

Depends on the quality of the batteries as well. A big, dedicated Group 31 deep cycle battery will last a lot longer than wiring into the cranking battery for your outboard.

One HDS 10 should not pull down any decent battery in a full day of fishing. It's only like a 3 amp draw at full wick. I ran two HDS 10s and an 8 for years on my cranking battery and made it home every time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2019, 07:44 PM
Wallhanger

Most of the big boats with multiple electronics and high hp engines typically run a combination of batteries consisting of 3 batteries for the 36v trolling motor, a dedicated starting battery for the main engine and a dedicated house battery which covers electronics, livewell pumps, lights, accessories, radio, etc.

My last rig did not have trim for a dedicated house battery and with two HDS 8s, a HDS 10, and the other accessories running, I would run into low voltage issues within about 3-4 hours. It never left me stranded but the concern was there. Ended up buying a large capacity v-max tank battery which solved the issue but at a cost that was more than 2 standard deep cycles.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:48 PM
Wallhanger

I would also add that most are running on board charges for all batteries including the house and starting battery keeping everything fresh and topped off for the start of each day.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:52 AM
Minnow

Thanks for the answers, I have two optmia battries for trolling motor, plus a regular battery for starting,HDS,etc . the screen on the lowrance turns to a wavy mess after fishing for several hr. could my lowrance be going bad rather than low voltage problem. thanks
Old 04-12-2019, 07:14 AM
Wallhanger

If your running into low voltage issues you will typically get a low voltage warning on your graph along with a an audible beep/horn signifying the same. Unless that protection/function isn't working on your graph, I'd say your graph is on its way out.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:41 AM
Keeper

What have you done to ensure your battery isn't the problem? I don't recall if the low voltage alarm is something you can turn off in options, or if that alarm is always on as a safety feature. But I agree the HDS should spit out a warning when the voltage goes too low. Normally, it will show up when you go to start your big motor again.

Last edited by Albertan; 04-12-2019 at 08:43 AM.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:07 AM
Minnow

I have a stealth on board charger, charges when the big motor is running or plug in when you get home. I hear beeps from time to time but have never have seen a low voltage warning on the screen. I never have trouble with trolling motor batteries and the HDS works fine for 5 or 6 hrs, then the down imaging screen gets funky.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:20 AM
Wallhanger

Have you checked your batteries after a days fishing to see how well they are charged? That is dependent on how long you run your outboard(how much your alternator puts out) vs how much you draw from them and their condition. Also do you put the charger on them at the end of a days fishing. Lead acid batteries unless stored at full charge, will deteriorate even if only for an overnight at less than full charge. Shortening their life. Bob