Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Tips for navigating a boat while fishing? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 02-22-2016, 04:39 PM
Keeper

Default Tips for navigating a boat while fishing?

For our fishing trip to Canada this summer, I will be the main operator of our camp boat - 15hp Yamaha 16ft V-Hull boat. I have driven the boats before but only for a limited time and not while back trolling, using sonar, and fishing ALL at the same time! Any tricks and tips to make it a smooth process etc.? - besides of course EXPERIENCE!
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2016, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

Remember to pop it in and out of reverse. Don't let the boat get moving too fast.

Also... always back into the wind. It makes things MUCH easier. If YOU set the hook, remember to put the boat in neutral.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

Often times you'll be able to take advantage of the wind as well. If you're lucky with the wind direction and speed you'll be able to take advantage of it and not use the engine at all. That will for sure allow you to focus on all the other things you're doing as well.

Also, it is important to note that when you're trying to do all these things that time goes really, really fast. Divert your attention from any one thing, especially boat control, for say something like baiting up, and you can be going in circles in no time at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2016, 05:53 PM
Keeper

just have to practice, you will e fine after a day or so.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:14 PM
Wallhanger

Last time I was in Canada, we did a lot of backtrolling up wind, and then drifting back with the wind. I found that it was easiest to put both feet behind the back bench seat, and put the tiller between my knees, while jigging.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:31 PM
Wallhanger

Default Not an easy question to answer

Greetings,

I believe the term "backtrolling" has two meanings. One is that the boat's speed backwards is greater than the speed of the waves going forward. That is, the boat is moving backwards. You are trolling.

Another meaning is that the speed of the boat going backwards is essentially cancelled by the speed of the waves going forward. That is, the boat is essentially stationary. You are vertical jigging.

In the first case, you basically set the engine's throttle and go backwards at the desired speed. You might want to slip between neutral and reverse from time to time in order to control boat speed.

In the second case, things get much more complicated. Obabikon made some great suggestions. I will further add that I make numerous minor adjustments to my boat speed by frequently changing back and forth from neutral and reverse. It's much easier to make many small adjustments than one big adjustment.

You can also put out a marker buoy to aid you in controlling your boat. I leave my left hand on the gear selector. My right hand holds my fishing rod. My eyes are focused on the angle of my fishing line to the surface of the water. I peak at the marker buoy and sonar unit from time to time.

I know it's time to change gears with the motor when my fishing line is not perpendicular to the surface of the water. Changes in depth of water being fished are deliberate. I change depth of water one foot at a time.

This sounds easy. Anyone should be able to do it! However, it's like learning to ride a bicycle by reading a book. As another post mentioned, it will take some time to get your technique down.

When vertical jigging, boat control is often what separates those that catch fish from those that drown minnows.

Good fishing and tight lines!!
Old 02-22-2016, 07:50 PM
lkolpacki

Default Trolling

Take at least 4 bouys with you for marking where you want to troll. If you find a hump or hot spot you want to troll around it. That way you can turn off your GPS and know where the location is. For example you may find a hump 200 feet long and drop a bouy on each end of the hump or mabey 3 bouys If you have luck there set a waypoint on your GPS so you can come back to the same spot next day. Did not ask you if you had a GPS but if not get one. We left our bouy out over night and the next morning 3 boats spotted our bouy and were fishing around it. We told them it was our bouy but they would not move from our hot spot and they were doing fine with Walleye and we stayed away about 200 feet but did not do so good. We picked up our bouy and they did not have one. They had to keep on their GPS to stay on the spot.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

When back trolling into a strong wind, it can be a good idea to move some of the weight from the back of the boat to up front. This could save you getting as wet, either from splash-up or from over the transom waves, due to a low stern.

Bill
Old 02-23-2016, 06:43 AM
Minnow

Remember to have the fish finder set to beep when you hit 5-6 ft water depth gives you time to react. Just in case that shoal comes up before you think it should.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:56 AM
Wallhanger

Use the sonar to your advantage. The transducer is under your feet, and you're at the center of the cone. Pay more attention to the rod when you see a strong cone signal, and use the motor and speed to your advantage. Hold yourself over the fish when and where the signal is the strongest and the spot is the best, tip of the point, highest spot on the hump. I'm trying to keep the boat in the ideal position for everyone, not just me, but how am I gonna know if the boat is in the ideal position? By catching fish.

I find I fish harder and do better than others the boat when I run it, and typically outfish everyone else in the boat.. I need to concentrate on the boat, position, sonar and catching fish, while others let their minds drift off and miss a lot of strikes.

Borntofish is close..but it's like learning to ride a bike WHILE reading a book...and chewing gum, and talking on the phone, and writing a grocery list..... So many things to do all at once, but when you get it right, there is no better feeling.

Last edited by bigwalleye1; 02-23-2016 at 07:00 AM.