Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
"Extra things" on a fly-in - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 03-21-2019, 12:03 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da' Walleye Assassun View Post
Cutting out the seat of your pants will keep the gnats from your face.

Maybe the best tip on the board right there. Will it also help with black flies biting your ankles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2019, 04:16 AM
Slot Fish

Rope for a clothes line. It always rains and you need some place to dry your stuff.

Speaker and old school ipod. No wifi conection where we are.

Travel mug for boat for tea/coffee.

First Aid kit. Including bacatracon (spelling?)

Duct Tape. Always use it every year.

Lighter for the boat.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:09 AM
Wallhanger

I'll re-emphasize the first-aid kit.

But, not just a store bought one with a red plus sign on the front. Those are just a million bandaids and some bee sting wipes.

Take the time to build out your own. Put some thought into it. Think through what could happen in the bush and prepare for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2019, 07:55 AM
Keeper

This has been a good thread and we have added many of the items on this list over the years.. We love to sit on the dock at night with a portable Bose speaker/Ipod and have a some adult beverages (just a few).. Nothing better than catching walleyes while enjoying our favorite tunes and the beauty of a Canadian shield lake. Also agree with the comment about the medical kit and customizing to assure you have a number of potential problems addressed. We always have one per boat and include items like super glue (help close any deep cuts), Neosporin, hydrochlorid/anti-itch cream, gauze wrap et..
Old 03-25-2019, 08:45 AM
Wallhanger

grill tools...I bring what I like to use and them leave them in camp. I also can't emphasize the first aid kit enough. We have lidocaine and syringes in case we need to do hook removal and we have a suture kit to stitch up cuts if necessary.( never had to use them but would never travel into the bush without them).
Old 03-25-2019, 09:00 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosebunk View Post
That's the exact one Adam! Bless thy urinal, man, holds a liter of your campfire beer wizz from hours earlier and keeps ya dry from the rain in the middle of the night. Just be sure it doesn't get kicked over in the tent somehow... those lids aren't leak proof.

And..... if you rinse it out real well, it makes a fine mug for your mixed drinks during the day.....

I kid, I kid...….
Old 03-25-2019, 09:45 AM
Keeper

A big bottle of pump hand lotion. After 3 days, everyone in our group was complaining about dry hands and then they crack are more prone to getting cut and infected. The sun and constant wet/dry does a number on your hands. About 3 years ago we started bringing the lotion and its always gone towards the end of our trip.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:35 PM
Wallhanger

Brain, watch, calendar or whatever to keep track of day to leave.

Not my group, but the party that replaced us at Cobham River Outpost, thought it was Saturday when Pete Cay arrived early Sunday morning to drop off a new group and fly out other guys. Guys were down river and out on big water when Pete landed and told them he'd send another plane because he had a full schedule that day.

Guys with wrong day in their minds payed extra for a round trip flight from Red Lake to Cobham River Outpost. About 290 float plane miles for 6 passengers.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:22 AM
Minnow

I’ll always bring an extra pair of polarized sunglasses. A few years ago i lost my only pair in the lake on day one. I was lucky that it was rainy and cloudy most of the rest of the week. I find it uncomfortable to be in a lake on a sunny day without sunglasses.
Old 03-27-2019, 01:22 PM
Keeper

I agree 100% with Me Simon. Put together a first class first aid kit. I can remove hooks ,which I have . I can sew up cuts ( not pretty but held wounds together) i carry sutures and numbing agent . Pain meds , tums etc. I am a worry wart and like to have my bases covered in an emergency. I carry a 5x5 piece of orange tarp material, in the boat ,if we need to flag a plane down. My buddy used it and saved a potential issue. Think for the worse and hope you never need it . I carry fire starters etc. Think outside the box .