Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Boats - MSRP vs Actual Selling Price ??? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 04-15-2018, 12:06 PM
Minnow

Default Boats - MSRP vs Actual Selling Price ???

I'm in the process of -trying- to purchase a small aluminum fishing boat (Alumacraft Escape or Lund Fury) but every online/phone quote I get (for boat/motor/trailer) is for MSRP + "Dealer Prep", etc.

It's been a while since I bought a boat - but I've NEVER paid full MSRP before. Has the industry changed ?? Do dealers no longer discount ?? Because this is a small boat (under 14K) do they just not care if they make a sale ?? The attitude I'm getting from -multiple- dealers is more or less "take it or leave it"

So how did YOU get your best deal ???

Thanks,

StevieP1956
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2018, 12:18 PM
Wallhanger

I looked for 3 years multiple places and found a great price on a leftover, but that took a lot of time .
Old 04-15-2018, 12:50 PM
Keeper

I had to shop around. I had a lund and a Alumacraft that I wanted. I called and visited over a 12 boat dealers. All were pretty close in price for what I wanted. There was only about 1000 bucks difference between lund and Alumacraft and within 500 bucks for the same brand. I found that when I built my boat on the website that cost was pretty close to what I got for a price including tax.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2018, 01:24 PM
Wallhanger

Margins are low on a sub 20k boat, so I imagine they will negotiate a little, but not much.
Old 04-15-2018, 03:33 PM
Wallhanger

I would think that this time of year is a sellers market and the price of in stock boats will be high due to demand and lack of supply for a matter of months.
Solix 12 G1
Old 04-15-2018, 03:45 PM
Wallhanger

Just a thought.......You are getting over the phone and online quotes. My way of thinking is this, Why would a salesperson on the phone or online quote be any better than MSRP? To my way of thinking you are just a shopper not a buyer!

Way back in the olden days when I sold cars, I never gave my best price over the phone. Want a good price on what you want, go the the dealership and show them you are real, and a buyer, and a serious buyer. Make sure you know what you want with the access. you want, then get an out the door price. If you don't like it, you can leave, but at least you have something to negotiate with the next dealership.

Now if you are living too far from the dealerships, that's a different story. But you have to express to them that you are real, are a buyer, and want to pull the trigger soon. Make sure you give them your contact info (name, email, phone, address, etc.) and you give them specifics on what you are looking for. If you have a price you are looking for, ask for it, they can say no if you are out in left field.

I have a good friend who owns a dealership and his policy is always MSRP unless they are convinced YOU are for real. If you supply them with that info, they can check to make sure you are real, email you back, call you back, google earth your address, etc. You would be amazed at how many phone calls and online quotes don't really turn into anything even close to a sale.
Old 04-15-2018, 04:31 PM
Keeper

Helping a buddy buy a new boat right now. Marina's really don't sell that many boats. They need to have a big margin to make money. They don't make a living selling parts and service. No, not all boats leave the dealership with the same profit margin. Dealers will not sell something cheaper today if they think they can get more for it tomarrow and there is not a ready supply of new boats in the pipeline. All that said, have only shopped two dealerships and have found a considerable difference in the "best" out the door price, 8%, on a $20000 boat before accessories. Ain't chump change.
Old 04-15-2018, 04:54 PM
Wallhanger

Location: Land of 10,000 lakes, even more taxes and the state where the police are handcuffed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspencreek View Post
Just a thought.......You are getting over the phone and online quotes. My way of thinking is this, Why would a salesperson on the phone or online quote be any better than MSRP? To my way of thinking you are just a shopper not a buyer!

Way back in the olden days when I sold cars, I never gave my best price over the phone. Want a good price on what you want, go the the dealership and show them you are real, and a buyer, and a serious buyer. Make sure you know what you want with the access. you want, then get an out the door price. If you don't like it, you can leave, but at least you have something to negotiate with the next dealership.

Now if you are living too far from the dealerships, that's a different story. But you have to express to them that you are real, are a buyer, and want to pull the trigger soon. Make sure you give them your contact info (name, email, phone, address, etc.) and you give them specifics on what you are looking for. If you have a price you are looking for, ask for it, they can say no if you are out in left field.

I have a good friend who owns a dealership and his policy is always MSRP unless they are convinced YOU are for real. If you supply them with that info, they can check to make sure you are real, email you back, call you back, google earth your address, etc. You would be amazed at how many phone calls and online quotes don't really turn into anything even close to a sale.
This.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:00 PM
Keeper

I just purchased a new Alumacraft and the MSRP and the dealer price were pretty close. However, I did receive $1300 in rebates from Alumacraft, through the dealer; it could have been more, or less, depending on what you buy. Of course, there was the usual: Oh, you wanted a prop on the motor? Oh, you wanted side guards on the bunk trailer? Oh, you wanted a trolling motor? I am not really picking on the dealer. This was around a $20,000 package for a very nice Alum 165 Competitor with a 70 hp 4 stroke Yamaha, and did include the trailer. When I purchase a new car, which I do every 3 years, I begin by letting the sales person know that I have a firm figure on the invoice, which is public information. Then we talk about how much over invoice is reasonable; then we work on a trade in price. Usually goes pretty smoothly.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:13 AM
Wallhanger

Each buying situation if different. Make an offer and go from there. Some dealers deal, others will not. Depends on the time of year, inventory, economy, etc.

But IMO the most important thing is..................when you make an offer hand the guy a check with a deposit so they know you are dead serious. Nothing worse than a customer making an offer, then its accepted, then the customer says they will think about it.

2015 Alumacraft T-195
Yamaha 200
Ulterra w/Ilink 112
Helix 10SI w/GPS

2019 Lowe 1852 Aura